SSRI's and Prohormone do they mix?

Barcelona99

Awards
Hey,

I'm just curious if taking a prohormone such as epistane will it have an affect on me while taking Fluoxetine?

Barcelona99

Awards
I'd really like to know how prohormones work on the brain, in similar fashion how ecstasy(mdma) and amphetamines work where can i find literature on prohormones on the brain

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
There is little to no medical study on most prohormones...and many people react very differently to them. You're not going to find studies on prohormones' effects on the brain or even really on well known steroids mixed with anti-depressants. If you do it would be a rare find.
Good luck.

I think it's safe to say though that any hormone that's out of the reference range (imbalance) can affect any predisposition to mental illness/issues of any sort.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
I take Effexor and have no problem. You shouldnt have any problem with SSRI's, but you need to steer clear if you are running a MAOI for depression. This will result in a dangerous spike in BP.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I would think Epi and SSRI's would really kill your libido as well. I would definitely recommend not mixing the two together without first running it by your doc. Even then I would still think it would be a bad idea. I don't know how long you have been on SSRI's but some people can really get out of whack if they mix an SSRI with anything else that effects brain chemical messengers. Also SSRI's can downregulate androgen receptors in some users so you may not even get a lot of benefit from the epi ( I can't find the study at the moment, so take the last one with a grain of salt) Finally your PCT might be very hard on you since some tend to get depressed during their PCT. This is the aspect of the cycle I would be most worried about and probably the biggest reason I recommend you not cycling.

Manchester

Manchester

Awards
This is a complicated question. As Gutterpump mentioned, no one knows enough about epistane and the other prohormoes to determine how they will interact with an SSRI. As others have recommended, you may want to consult your physician prior to starting any prohormone. In order to provide you with sounder advice, additional information would be required.

What is your age?

What dose of fluoxetine are you on?

What are you being treated for (e.g,. major depressive disorder, anxiety, etc.)?

Do you have any other medical conditions (e.g., hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, etc.)?

If you are under 30, then the risk of a prohormone like epistane would far outweight the benefits. If you are over 30, on a low dose of fluoxetine for treatment of depression, have no comorbidities, and you feel that your mood may benefit from prohormone supplementation, then you may want to consider starting with a low dose of a prohormone. In any case, you should defer to your personal physician for all medical advice. Hope this info helps.