Sleep medication suggestions?

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
I have suffered from a sleeping problem for the past two weeks. Either I have a hard time sleeping, which usually ends up sleeping at 5 or 6. Or I keep waking up during the night, which leads me to have roughly 3 to 4 hours of sleep.
I have tried melatonin, 3mgs to 6mgs. It did not work like before, which knocked me out even at 3mgs.
I tried benadryl, 4 tabs = 100mgs. Did not work also.

I am about to go into the doctors office within this week. The problem is I do not know what to ask for.
Ambien, Ambien CR, Lunesta, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

JR07005

JR07005

Awards
I wouldent touch the Ambien! :nono:
I wrecked my last car while "sleepdriving" and had no idea what happened when I woke up in the morning to find a mangled car in my garage.

This was before the ads added a disclaimer warning against sleep-eating, sleep-driving, etc.

Plus it makes you so groggy in the morning that your brain is numb until the afternoon :yawn:

mrchristian

mrchristian

Awards
  • Established
Ive had no problems with Ambien CR. Sometimes it doesnt even work for me though. I have major sleep issues. That would be scary as hell to wake up in the morning and not know how your car got smashed. Lunesta didnt do jack for me.

JR07005

JR07005

Awards
How about "knockout"?
It seems to have good reviews on this forum

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How about "knockout"?
It seems to have good reviews on this forum
Scivation's knockout? Heard good things about it, never used it. GABA + Melatonin knock me flat out, but you seem to have developed a tolerance. Powerfull/1-Carboxy helps me get a deep sleep. I've heard ZMK works well too, same with Somnidren GH. I haven't dabbled in sleeping meds, can't help you there.

Deep breathing before bed helped me tons too, along w/ a fan & earplugs. Also eye-shades to get it real dark help too.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
generic unisom (doxylamine succinate) from the costco in bulk has been my saving grace. everybody seems to repond differently to these things though. sleep is a delicate mechanism, i can be exhausted & be less sleepy because of it. i have to get & stay in my rhythm zma/zmt is of help as is theanine good luck

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
generic unisom (doxylamine succinate) from the costco in bulk has been my saving grace. everybody seems to repond differently to these things though. sleep is a delicate mechanism, i can be exhausted & be less sleepy because of it. i have to get & stay in my rhythm zma/zmt is of help as is theanine good luck
Bingo - Very effective in its sleep induction/hypnotic effects. It's what makes nyquil so effective in many ways. I highly recommend it myself.

will175

will175

Awards
I think I have tried so many sleep helpers that is out there. Got to love living in Vegas and working in the industry. But for over the counter pills I responded well to unisom. Nyquil was okay. When I only had over the counter stuff I would take them and drink some night time tea. Right now I have every one of the prescription pills on my shelf that the OP listed. There are different stregnths to some of those pills. The first batch of lunesta's worked really good for me. Like Julius said, everyone responds differently. Just start with the mildest one then work your way up till you find something that works. And try to give your self a break every once in a while if possible. Much luck to you bro.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Melatonin or Diphenhydramine are what I have used. Melatonin is an easy entry into sleep and easy wake up. The Diphenhydramine is a bit stronger.

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
Thank you all who has posted. I will give Unisom a three day run, if it does not knock me out. I will probably head over to the doctors by Friday to ask for Lunesta.

UkBloke

Awards
Melatonin + ZMA + (and this is the important bit) a good book!

JOHNJESSICA20

JOHNJESSICA20

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Awards
  • Established
If your not to sure you want to jump on a prescription medication, I would try Phenibut & ZMA both have been great for me. The phenibut is reasonably cheap and also keeps my mood up-beat.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
If your not to sure you want to jump on a prescription medication, I would try Phenibut & ZMA both have been great for me. The phenibut is reasonably cheap and also keeps my mood up-beat.
Phenibut, I use that before going out where I have to do alot of talking :head: Such a mood elevator, and if I take 2g of it I get a slight buzzy feeling.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Soon to the market... X-DREAM... you won't be disappointed.

Adams

JR07005

JR07005

Awards
I wouldent touch the Ambien! :nono:
I wrecked my last car while "sleepdriving" and had no idea what happened when I woke up in the morning to find a mangled car in my garage.

This was before the ads added a disclaimer warning against sleep-eating, sleep-driving, etc.

Plus it makes you so groggy in the morning that your brain is numb until the afternoon :yawn:

I should add that thank god I didnt hurt anyone, or hit another car!
Poor guardrail!

extrememuscle

extrememuscle

Awards
a little red wine is always a good solution.. I personally don't do it..but just to share with ya..

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
if you need something that is non habit forming, and doesn't lose effect over time - you should speak to your doctor about Trazodone.

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Doxylamine will definitely knock you out, but I find it tends to make me lethargic the next day. I use it on weekends when I know I don't have to do a damn thing.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I am not trying to pimp our products, I am only telling you this because we are giving out samples of it to try, but IBE has the new X-Dream coming out this week. Head over to our forum and post in the thread. We are giving away full bottles and 5 day sample packs :).

nofx4110

nofx4110

Awards
Scivation's knockout? Heard good things about it, never used it. GABA + Melatonin knock me flat out, but you seem to have developed a tolerance. Powerfull/1-Carboxy helps me get a deep sleep. I've heard ZMK works well too, same with Somnidren GH. I haven't dabbled in sleeping meds, can't help you there.

Deep breathing before bed helped me tons too, along w/ a fan & earplugs. Also eye-shades to get it real dark help too.
GABA + melatonin works very well for me too. You could try valerian root too. I try to stay away from prescription drugs, especially sleeping pills. If you had to get a script I would go for valium or xanax, and pray you don't get hooked!
Could be you just need to stay up all night one night, I read somewhere its good to do that once a year or something, and that worked for me before.
It could also be something you're taking, and in that case you could be mixing uppers and downers. I can't tell you how many people I know that have died because of that.

Disturbed

Disturbed

Awards
200 mgs seroquil you out. :yawn:
lol yes that will def knock you out.25mg used to knock me out.I take elavil for insomnia.Plus it helps with frequent urination during the night.I don't go near as much now that I take this stuff.