High Blood Pressure

Gus1986

Awards
hey guys I am 22 years old and my doctor is recommending blood pressure medication. I know it is extremely rare for someone my age to have high blood pressure (on average 150/88) We have been tracking it for several years and I have tried all types of supplements like fish oils, grape seed extract, hawthorn berry, and CO-q10 but nothing is helping.

Basically my question is; What types of blood pressure medications are best for body builders? Body building is my favorite hobby and I don't want to take a medication that will either hurt my gains, or hurt my performance in the gym. Right now my doctor is recommending Lisinopril..... What do you guys think?

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
hey guys I am 22 years old and my doctor is recommending blood pressure medication. I know it is extremely rare for someone my age to have high blood pressure (on average 150/88) We have been tracking it for several years and I have tried all types of supplements like fish oils, grape seed extract, hawthorn berry, and CO-q10 but nothing is helping.

Basically my question is; What types of blood pressure medications are best for body builders? Body building is my favorite hobby and I don't want to take a medication that will either hurt my gains, or hurt my performance in the gym. Right now my doctor is recommending Lisinopril..... What do you guys think?
I'm in the same situation. I've used 3 different meds: Toprol XL, Lisinopril, and Lisinopril HCT (which is just lisinopril with a diuretic).

Toprol XL made me feel like crap. Lisinopril, both regular and the HCT version have been great. Hardly ever any supplement/drug interactions. It's been side-effect free as far as I can tell. I highly recommend Lisinopril.

PS - I had to be put on Lisinopril HCT instead of just Lisinopril because my BP wasn't getting low enough from just Lisinopril.. but it's a great BP med IMO!

Gus1986

Awards
thanks for your input ozarka. I am really nervous about taking prescription meds, but maybe I will give lisinopril a shot

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
thanks for your input ozarka. I am really nervous about taking prescription meds, but maybe I will give lisinopril a shot
I can definitely feel your pain man. Chances are, it's going to be fine, especially with something like Lisinopril. With Toprol, it slows your heart, and it sucks.. With Lisinopril, all I got were the good side-effects, lowered blood pressure!

Good luck man!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/95093-arjuna-terminalia-arjuna.html

whiskers

whiskers

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I prob need to get on a med too. I'm only twenty one :(

....My grandpa had way high blood pressure and died a few years ago of a heart attack. I think my dad has high blood pressure as well. Fu(k

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you guys are getting it from genetics, just like myself. Not alot you can do except watch your diet and keep exercising like you are. High BP can cause alot of problems, so don't postpone getting on medication if you need to. I've been on medication now for 10 yrs or more. I have a family history on both sides of high bp, and diabetes. Genetics suck.

badfish51581

badfish51581

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, but did you try cycle support and c-12 peptide? I realize that you tried some of the ingredients in cycle support, but they are combined and in effective dosages. I would consider it. Also, c-12 peptide seems to be a legit ACE inhibitor.

Also, I figured out my blood pressure readings were off because the doctors were not using an appropiate cuff size. If you arms are bigger than 13 inches, then the blood pressure cuff they use may not be the appropiate size.

Just some thoughts from my experience with high blood pressure.

Joe

whiskers

whiskers

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I usually get mine taken when I'm in the doctors office deathly ill or injured. I'll take it today while I'm normal and see what I get

Gus1986

Awards
So far I have taken Lisinopril 10mg for a week and havent had any side effects (except a little dip in blood pressure) no effect on my performance in the gym either

MacTech

MacTech

Awards
  • Established
I used Celery seed extract to bring my BP from 140/85 to 110/70 in a couple of weeks and this was during an Epi cycle. I continue to take 1-2 tablets 75mg ED of 85% extract, not just the seeds.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
I'm in the same situation. I've used 3 different meds: Toprol XL, Lisinopril, and Lisinopril HCT (which is just lisinopril with a diuretic).

Toprol XL made me feel like crap. Lisinopril, both regular and the HCT version have been great. Hardly ever any supplement/drug interactions. It's been side-effect free as far as I can tell. I highly recommend Lisinopril.

PS - I had to be put on Lisinopril HCT instead of just Lisinopril because my BP wasn't getting low enough from just Lisinopril.. but it's a great BP med IMO!
good posting ozarkabrand!:wave:

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I used Celery seed extract to bring my BP from 140/85 to 110/70 in a couple of weeks and this was during an Epi cycle. I continue to take 1-2 tablets 75mg ED of 85% extract, not just the seeds.
Where do you get this from?

Any other natural BP lowering foods that you personally tried?

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
Just remember to keep fiber high, when trying to lower BP/chl.

the Cardinal

Awards
Where do you get this from?

Any other natural BP lowering foods that you personally tried?
Try this combination: 50 mg of l-theanine + 100 mg 5-HTP + 150 mg grapeseed extract + 200 mg of hawthorn berry extract + 500 mg of celery seed extract standardized for 3nB twice daily - upon rising for the day, and right before bedtime. It's well worth the money, which isn't much compared to prescription meds.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just remember to keep fiber high, when trying to lower BP/chl.
You couldn't pay me money to do that :lol:

The lower my fiber is, the better, I have problems with fiber, even when increasing gradually and for 2 weeks+

Right now, I'm on a cut to 8%, using albuterol, my BP wasn't really "high" but elevated, once I get off albuterol, eliminate the excess fat, keep increasing my cardiovascular system efficiency, it should go down.

I bought some celery to eat everyday with my tuna/bean wrap and evening meal(only vegetable I eat other than lettuce).

Try this combination: 50 mg of l-theanine + 100 mg 5-HTP + 150 mg grapeseed extract + 200 mg of hawthorn berry extract + 500 mg of celery seed extract standardized for 3nB twice daily - upon rising for the day, and right before bedtime. It's well worth the money, which isn't much compared to prescription meds.
More pills to take! this should put me at 70+ a day! :hammer:

I'll look into that...from what I know, it looks good though.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
how accurate are the cuffs at like a walmart or a walgreens?

PyroLifter

Awards
No need to be nervous, this is a tried and tested medication with an excellent track record.
Lisinopril is an ACE Inhibitor, I've been using Coversyl (also an ACE Inhibitor) for the past 10 months and it brought my blood pressure down significantly.

One of the positives I first noticed was increased vascularity, and great pumps in the gym.
ACE inhibitors also increase your metabolism, and are currently being investigated for use in weight loss drugs.

On a negative side, they will cause your body to retain excessive potassium, so be careful if you are taking any supplements high in potassium.

OP, best of luck with your BP

dpfisher

I have been taking Lisinopril 40mg (max effective dose I think) since I was 19, never had a problem with it. Good luck

dpfisher

The ones that are free to use are usually pretty accurate, the ones you can buy kinda vary. I have a pretty nice one but it seems to read high on me, though it works fine for everyone else (had it compared by a nurse with a manual cuff)

Drzjoint

Awards
take a teaspoon of cinnamon daily( i put it in my oatmeal in the a.m.). also go to a chiropractor it has been proven to lower your BP by an average of 17 points. your C1 vertebra being subluxated is related to hypertension. i am not saying to stop your medications but work with a chiropractor as well as you medical doctor and a lot of people are able to get off their hypertension medications. also remember the hypertension medications may have interactions with performance enhancing substances you might be taking so do your home work. epocrates is a good referance.

GRAYHORSE

GRAYHORSE

Awards
I would disagree with those being a accuate. They are used over and over and over... and can get out of calibration.

Remember your local fire dept. will check it free any time. ;)

PumpDogg

Awards
  • Established
I know this thread is a tad old, but I saw no reason to start another one..

I have a family history of heart disease.. My father, his father and my mothers mother..

My endo has been monitoring my bp for several years now.. Its always borderline when I am in his office.. I check it at home and it always seems much lower..

I will just be straight forward with you guys.. I have cycled off an on for over a decade now.. Sometimes I take long lay offs, a couple have been over 2 years, so its not like I live on and off all the time..

From time to time i will run a creatine cycle also..and in spring months I will run something like Lipoderm from Hi Tech to shed off extra winter fat..

I have been starring at this bottle of Azor 5/20 mg for the last couple of months.. Not yet taken any..

Like someone above posted, I just dont want to have to take a BP med.. Always heard bad ****.. like limp ****, water retention etc etc..

From what Ozark posted gives me confidence, however are you guys still able to run cycles??

I dont want to become a statistic and be damaged goods, but i guess I fear the unknown with these BP meds..

Anyone here taken Azor??

I plan on taking the med for at least a couple months as long as I dont have any negative sides before I go back to the doc..

Currently running a short test e and Havoc cycle.. Can I continue with bp meds..

I have never researched it, as it did not apply to me at the time, however I think my days of not taking a med for my bp are coming to an end..

Any advice from those of you who have experience with these meds appreciated!!

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
I know this thread is a tad old, but I saw no reason to start another one..

I have a family history of heart disease.. My father, his father and my mothers mother..

My endo has been monitoring my bp for several years now.. Its always borderline when I am in his office.. I check it at home and it always seems much lower..

I will just be straight forward with you guys.. I have cycled off an on for over a decade now.. Sometimes I take long lay offs, a couple have been over 2 years, so its not like I live on and off all the time..

From time to time i will run a creatine cycle also..and in spring months I will run something like Lipoderm from Hi Tech to shed off extra winter fat..

I have been starring at this bottle of Azor 5/20 mg for the last couple of months.. Not yet taken any..

Like someone above posted, I just dont want to have to take a BP med.. Always heard bad ****.. like limp ****, water retention etc etc..

From what Ozark posted gives me confidence, however are you guys still able to run cycles??

I dont want to become a statistic and be damaged goods, but i guess I fear the unknown with these BP meds..

Anyone here taken Azor??

I plan on taking the med for at least a couple months as long as I dont have any negative sides before I go back to the doc..

Currently running a short test e and Havoc cycle.. Can I continue with bp meds..

I have never researched it, as it did not apply to me at the time, however I think my days of not taking a med for my bp are coming to an end..

Any advice from those of you who have experience with these meds appreciated!!
Just curious whether you have tried supplements and tweaking diet to lower bp? As far as diet is concerned, I'm talking hardcore life style changes? If these have already been tried without luck, then it looks like you're doing what's needed, and good luck.

Gordothespace

Gordothespace

Awards
it is not uncommon for your BP to be high at the doctors office. My doc calls it"white coat syndrome". He says people always get nervous when they are at the doctors office.

A lot of BP meds have Hydrochlorothiazide (HCT) in them. It is a diuretic. it helps to get rid of the sodium in the body and lowers the BP in the process. If you are worried about water retention this would actually help. The first med my doc gave me was HCT alone. When that did nto work he gave me a different one and i also stayed on the HCT just because. HCT is also very inexpensive. I get my meds refilled at Wal-Mart and it is only 10.00 a month. If he prescribes that for you make sure you take it in the morning though. Otherwise you will be doing cardio all night long from running to the bathroom. As far as the "softening effect" goes, the HCT should not effect you in that way. If he puts you on a BP med it COULD have an effect. There are newer meds that are less likely to effect you like with that. Ask for Benicar and/or Benicar HCT. Benicar HCT obviously has the diuretic in it.

PumpDogg

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Gordo.. I appreciate it man

Liquid to answer your question yes.. at one point and time several years ago, I went from 245 all the way down to 180-185... I stayed there for about a year, then intentionally gained all the way back up to 215 lbs..Even at that weight adn doing cardio at least 3 times every week for hours of various HIIT routines my bp was the max it could be to be considered ok.. The cardio was excessive, however i tend to lean on one side or the other and never inbetween :D:

In reality I know I will not keep my weight down that low, maybe for a couple of years, but not a lifetime..

I stopped last night and picked up some potassium on the way home, thinking that may be the ticket, however the studies I found had people taking 2-2.5 grams a day to lower pressure.. Since they are only allowed to sell potassium at 99 mgs, that would not be a doable deal..

I appreciate the feedback, as I just dont want to have to take this med, but I also dont want to stroke out or have a heart attack which would be much much worse than taking this.. Thanks!

markie59

Awards
Give blood

I have been advised by some smart trt guys that if you give blood every 2 to 3 months it tends to thin your blood out and lower pressure. Mine is slightly high on the upper number and am going to give some tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been advised by some smart trt guys that if you give blood every 2 to 3 months it tends to thin your blood out and lower pressure. Mine is slightly high on the upper number and am going to give some tomorrow. Will keep you posted.
What they are suggesting is known as "therapeutic phlebotomy." It's really an old school method of treating many conditions years ago (i.e. CHF, Polycythemia Vera.)

In terms of effective long term management and control of primary hypertension, this is not a good option. Pharmacological management of these conditions is most certainly the path of greatest success and overall treatment compliance.

country1911

country1911

Banned
Awards
I think sodium intake is important here and should earn a mention. It has been called "the silent killer" for years now as it will jack your BP up.

MF210

MF210

Awards
  • Established
I think sodium intake is important here and should earn a mention. It has been called "the silent killer" for years now as it will jack your BP up.
I know the OP hasn't responded in awhile, so I hate to bump, but there is some good info in here. Personally, my BP rised at one point and supps didn't work.

Everybody is different and for "Me Personally," 10-20 minutes of high intensity cardio 4-5 times/week really worked wonders for me. I just concentrated on getting the heart beat up and really breathing heavy during the process to pump oxygen through my body.

Just another opinion, gluck.

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
High intensity cardio is great for lowering BP, Stress levels too should be looked at a lot of things effecting BP can be environmental (i hate to say thing but weightlifting in general raises the HR) cardio can bring it back down. Also times of day when BP is taken is important to note cause it does change throughout the day.

As far as the donating blood idea.. that could work assuming that the primary reason for the high BP is due to blood viscosity, the down side of that is RBC's which carry oxygen and nutrients to the muscle dont fully recover until 2-7 days later (depending on age and gender).

Im just stating this just to say it (cause im assuming no one in here really does this) Smoking is directly associated with hypertension and increased BP, as well as regular bouts of drinking.

My advice would be to take a week or 2. Clean the diet from saturdated fats competely and decrease sodium as much as possible, do cardio 3-4 days a week and try and remain calm and get multiple BP readings a day. See where that goes and how effective it is hopefully some lifestyle changes can bring you back to a safe level.

As for the OP- i beleive i ready ur bp at 150/88, where the good news is your diastole pressure isnt too bad (bottom number), but your systole BP is pretty high. which means its more of an external type variable causing this.

are u physically active before your BP is taken? because a lot of times that can give a false reading, for example one day i was late for class and we where taking BP, I ran across campus and my resting BP was 160/92, in which i was told i should goto the hospital..

Eunisx

Awards
I am 34 and was diagnosed with High Blood pressure about 6 months ago. Its funny cause i went to see my doctor two weeks prior to being diagnosed and everything was fine. Then I went back two weeks later (sick) and bam you have high bp. We monitored it for another two weeks and the DR confirmed it. She wanted to make sure it was not "white coat". My father has high BP and both of my grandparents died of heart attacks so it runs in the family. Plus I took ephadra and all kinds of energy pills for years.

Another ironic thing is that I quit working out completely. But the doctor ordered me to get back in the gym, just not a serious as before. Now I play more endurance sports and still hit the weights. At first I was very scared especially when I would mention it to friends. Their response would be "oh no" like I had AIDS or something. I asked the DR how serious it is and she replied as long as I am exercising, on a good diet (without sodium), and taking my meds its not that serious. The good thing is that we caught it early. The med will help keep my BP at normal levels which would otherwise be high and eventually put an enormous amount of strain on my kidneys.

So if you are taking your medicine, on a good diet, and exercising you should be ok.