Triumph for teen?

969c1

Awards
I have started back to the gym and am now being join by my 14 year old son. It is his first year of high school and all of the sudden he wants to hit the weights. It is a bonus for me! More time with my son.
I have him focusing more on diet and eating properly. He has ask allot of questions about taking supplements. At this point, him eating properly is all he should be looking at. But, to make him feel like he is serious, I did buy him his own tub of glutamine which he has a small serving first thing in the morning, and a small serving post workout.
I have my order of Olympus Labs hopefully arriving soon. I have a tub of Triumph part of the order. Does anyone see an issue, at his age, of me giving him a 1/4 or 1/3 serving of Triumph pre work out? I just love seeing his interest in wanting to hit the gym. Giving him a little taste of OL's Triumph, in his mind, would make him feel like he is stepping up to being serious.

jt75

jt75

Awards
  • Established
I know the proud feeling of having a son who wants to spend lots of time with you training but the most anabolic thing he can put in his body at 14 is good solid food and lots of it, he should grow naturally for the next 4-5 years without putting any body building supplements into his body.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
This is a toughy.

Im torn, to be honest. On one had, part of me (the pious, should-do-the-right-thing in a perfect world part) thinks no, you shouldnt give him any supp, for a number of reasons. First, an isolated 1/4 serve of TR1UMPH is no tikely to 'do' much except maybe placebo him a few reps; may as well mix him some Gatorade powder but tell him its your muscle juice. Which leads me to my second concern: this little act is potentially setting him up to become psychologically dependant. Whether he gets in an improved workout (placebo or not) is irrelevant, as there is a risk here that he begins to believe that in order to perform well he needs to ingest supplements. Thats a slippery slope at any age.

Buuuuut on the other hand, if it were my kid? Id probably let him have a drink of my TR1UMPH, cos thats all part of the ritual Id want to share with him. Kinda like taking him out for a beer or whatever. But just as I wouldnt bother buying him Lite, Id give him a proper full serve.

I honestly dont think its that much of a biggie either way (at least, for me). However, the most important thing I think involved in a decision like this is that you consider the implications of whatever it is you choose to do, and as jt75 touched on above, that you convey to him the primary and fundamental importance of diet.

969c1

Awards
Thanks to both of you for the input. Great minds here! And I totally agree with what both have said.
He has already spoke of an another student at school, who is bragging to everyone that his dad trains him and is giving him "supplements", so that everyone thinks he is on steroids. I am sure that at that age, in his mind, it is impressive to others. I am not going to bash his father, because who knows how much truth there can be from it.
I have already clarified to my son that commitment, diet, and rest is the way to go. I feel good knowing in his mind, the kid bragging about using "hardcore supps", is frowned about.
As NewAgeMayan said, it is more of sharing a sip of my beer with my son. But also explaining to him it is another form of a Gatorade to drink prior to working out.
He is on track, being now he WILL eat a serving of broccoli and cauliflower and even eat tuna on rice cakes! Believe me, that was an accomplishment. He is learning and asking questions and for a kid his age, understanding the difference between "fast twitch muscle fibers and slow twitch" is already part of his smart training learning curve. I believe teaching the whole mechanics behind weight training helps him understand what he is doing for why.
Guys, thanks again for your insights and thoughts.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Get him on some creatine(mono, HCL, or Anhydrous). Maybe betaine too if there isnt any issues there...actually that is pretty much the make up of Olympus Labs Vitality.

If that doesn't seem appropriate, maybe shoot for some BCAA/EAA intra.

Otherwise, just tell him that it's best to wait, save his money, and give him the actual truth on supps: They make a minimal to no difference and as a community, we are just addicts.

Creatine though, should be fine.