Feeling Weak...

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
Can't quite figure out why I feel so weak this week. Last week I had surgery on my leg. They bolted a plate to my fibula. I don't have a cast, just an ACE bandage for 4 weeks, then a hard cast. So I can't stand when I workout, but I can do the bench, curls while lying down, etc. I felt very weak on the bench today. I noticed that not having the left leg firmly planted on the ground made me feel like I was losing leverage for some reason. Not sure why I feel so weak. Anyone have any ideas?

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
To be fair, surgery can take a lot out of you. It's possible that your body is still recovering from that, even if you don't "feel" like it is. If I remember correctly, you said your bone was shattered, which is pretty severe...and now you have a foreign object in your leg that your body is adapting to (but is nonetheless cool, because with a metal plate you're now roughly .3% cyborg).

Also, in regard to bench, typically having your legs on the ground provide some force in your push, as well as a center of gravity for your body. Take those away, and it's perfectly logical that your lifted weight would go down. I see guys occasionally doing that form of bench where you put both feet up on the bench, and they're always doing much lower weight than they usually do on their regular bench.

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
To be fair, surgery can take a lot out of you. It's possible that your body is still recovering from that, even if you don't "feel" like it is. If I remember correctly, you said your bone was shattered, which is pretty severe...and now you have a foreign object in your leg that your body is adapting to (but is nonetheless cool, because with a metal plate you're now roughly .3% cyborg).

Also, in regard to bench, typically having your legs on the ground provide some force in your push, as well as a center of gravity for your body. Take those away, and it's perfectly logical that your lifted weight would go down. I see guys occasionally doing that form of bench where you put both feet up on the bench, and they're always doing much lower weight than they usually do on their regular bench.
Thanks, that sounds reasonable.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yea he hit it on the head.its your body telling you to take it easy for awhile.

The Storm16

Awards
One week is very little time considering the surgery you had. Your body is devoting huge amounts of effort and energy into recovering, overall it's a pretty traumatic injury for your body. There are countless different processes going on in your body right now (stress hormones, immune system responses etc etc) to repair the damage, and clean up the debris. It may very well take a month or more for you to start feeling good and strong.

bad rad

bad rad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I recently had my Achilles tendon reattached 3 weeks ago and I'm wiped out most of the time. I'm able to hit the gym 1-2 times weekly right now. The crutches are the worst part, my shoulders, elbows and wrists are screaming. Take some time off, I am beginning to think this took more out of me than I realized.

Last edited:
DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
I recently had my Achilles tendon reattached 3 weeks ago and I'm wiped out most of the time. I'm able to hit the gym 1-2 times weekly right now. The crutches are the worst part, my shoulders, elbows and wrists are screaming. Take some time off, I am beginning to think this took more out of me than I realized.
I hear ya... The crutches are a royal pain. At least climbing stairs work my triceps, since I have to sit on the steps and lift up one step at a time with my arms. I think you're right about resting and not pushing too hard. I find this odd... I check my blood pressure everyday, and usually in the evening, post workout, it's a little high, like 140/78. For the past 10 days, my reading at the same time is usually 130/66. I just find that odd.

GLHF

GLHF

Awards
  • Established
take a week off man. ull come back stronger.