Saw-Palmetto....Worthless

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Let me see if I can find the study referenced by the article but I believe this particular one was done with a specific extract of saw palmetto. If so then this will not discredit the herbs efficiency towards BPH management. Researchers have determined that saw palmetto has many different MOAs and it's efficiency has been demonstrated time and time again in very well designed and controlled studies

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've seen PSA levels drop drastically on Saw Palmetto, so I wouldn't count it out.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use a combination supplement for prostate called Prostate Power RX that has Saw Palmetto as a main ingredient and I think it works great.

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
I've seen PSA levels drop drastically on Saw Palmetto, so I wouldn't count it out.
How did you see this? I'm guessing that something other than SP caused the drop. Can you cite one medical study supporting that SP has any impact at all on prostrate enlargement? Observation alone isn't good enough unless we know every detail surrounding the cycle.

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
I use a combination supplement for prostate called Prostate Power RX that has Saw Palmetto as a main ingredient and I think it works great.
But how do you know it works great? Did you have prostatitis and then after taking SP the swelling went down? Or is it just that you never had a problem with your prostrate, with or without SP? I've talked to my doctor, as late as yesterday, and he also said there is zero medical study to back up the benefits of SP on the prostrate. I mean, another guy could take a shot of whiskey every night and never have prostrate problems and by observation, conclude that whiskey is great for the prostrate.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How did you see this? I'm guessing that something other than SP caused the drop. Can you cite one medical study supporting that SP has any impact at all on prostrate enlargement? Observation alone isn't good enough unless we know every detail surrounding the cycle.
Patient comes in with chronic high PSA levels, has blood work done showing elevated PSA levels (sitting at 4.5). Dr. puts him on Saw Palmetto with no other change in medication. Patient comes back 4weeks later, has more blood work done PSA shows 2.2.

Not citing any study, just going by what blood work showed. It's up to you to make your own conclusions.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But how do you know it works great? Did you have prostatitis and then after taking SP the swelling went down? Or is it just that you never had a problem with your prostrate, with or without SP? I've talked to my doctor, as late as yesterday, and he also said there is zero medical study to back up the benefits of SP on the prostrate. I mean, another guy could take a shot of whiskey every night and never have prostrate problems and by observation, conclude that whiskey is great for the prostrate.
I know it works great because I had some pretty bad symptoms before I started taking it and since taking it the symptoms have lessened in severity. Tried several different products and in fact the last one I tried had beta sitosterol and no saw palmetto and that one didn't do a thing!.

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
Patient comes in with chronic high PSA levels, has blood work done showing elevated PSA levels (sitting at 4.5). Dr. puts him on Saw Palmetto with no other change in medication. Patient comes back 4weeks later, has more blood work done PSA shows 2.2.

Not citing any study, just going by what blood work showed. It's up to you to make your own conclusions.
My PSA was 3.1 after my normal cruise of 400mgs. It was up, so I wanted another test done a few months later, after a bout with tren, mast and test. It was 2.7. What conclusions can you draw? None whatsoever. PSA numbers are very precarious. Heavy lifting, ejaculation, bike riding all can raise your PSA levels up to three times their normal reading. I'm surprised an MD would prescribe SP when there is zero medical evidence to back it up, unless it was the placebo effect? Of course, you don't need a prescription for SP. If the doctor was a DO, then that would make some sense, but not much. Spicy foods, alcohol, caffeine and other foods can raise your PSA levels, if your bladder is weak to begin with. Unless someone can explain the chemical cause and effect of SP on the prostrate, it really has no more credence than saying he prayed and all of a sudden it went down.

Don't take this the wrong way, I know you believe what you saw, I'm just saying it is far from conclusive, especially when I can cite the opposite effect; that the prostrate actually got worse.

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
I know it works great because I had some pretty bad symptoms before I started taking it and since taking it the symptoms have lessened in severity. Tried several different products and in fact the last one I tried had beta sitosterol and no saw palmetto and that one didn't do a thing!.
I'd be interested in your symptoms, but don't want you to express them here. Typically, E2 in older men cause prostrate problems, and in young men with out of control estrogen. DHT also has an affinity to bind to the prostrate. Chronic kidney disease, bladder infections, weak bladders, all contribute to prostrate problems. I can tell you why something like FlowMax relaxes the prostrate and why antibiotics help prostatitis, but I have found no one yet who can explain how SP works to help the prostrate. Like I said in the previous thread, there are guys who swear prayer works and have zero proof that is does, but that doesn't stop them from praying. I'm glad you have it under control, but I'm not convinced it's SP that did it. Sounds like you're on top of your PSA, so whatever works for you, great man.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Of course Prayer works. You don't need proof if you have faith.

John 14:13

"And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son."

Hebrews 11:1

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Luke 17:16

"And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you."

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My PSA was 3.1 after my normal cruise of 400mgs. It was up, so I wanted another test done a few months later, after a bout with tren, mast and test. It was 2.7. What conclusions can you draw? None whatsoever. PSA numbers are very precarious. Heavy lifting, ejaculation, bike riding all can raise your PSA levels up to three times their normal reading. I'm surprised an MD would prescribe SP when there is zero medical evidence to back it up, unless it was the placebo effect? Of course, you don't need a prescription for SP. If the doctor was a DO, then that would make some sense, but not much. Spicy foods, alcohol, caffeine and other foods can raise your PSA levels, if your bladder is weak to begin with. Unless someone can explain the chemical cause and effect of SP on the prostrate, it really has no more credence than saying he prayed and all of a sudden it went down.

Don't take this the wrong way, I know you believe what you saw, I'm just saying it is far from conclusive, especially when I can cite the opposite effect; that the prostrate actually got worse.
I'm not taking it the wrong way at all DetroitHammer. I like this discussion. Like everything else in this life SP has it's supporters and detractors. You can find as much negative on it then you can positive. I saw the blood work, before and after, and thought "maybe". It was the only variable that was added or taken away from the context of the problem. That's why I said draw your own conclusion. If you wanted to put it in clinical terms from your observation, your reduction from 3.1 to 2.7 (if viewed as an independent test sample) would be deemed insignificant in terms of the probability value assessed from the difference(before/after), from a clinical standpoint you are right, no conclusion could be drawn from that assessment. In the patient's case, a reduction from 4.5 to 2.2 would equate to a probability value of about 0.02 in comparisons to the before and after measurements. Which makes the probability value very significant for the hypothesis that SP had effects on PSA values. A conclusion could be drawn from that assessment. If we were comparing your PSA values on two different cycles to that of a person taking taking a placebo and then SP, the resulting differences would be that of non-conclusive to conclusive. Your values were non-conclusive in the fact that androgen cycling had damaging effects to the prostate, were as (just by the numbers) the patients values were very conclusive to the effects of SP on the prostate. But that's neither here nor there. Just making a general observation based on the numbers given.

One thing I would note though, is that the study you posted did not verify any results from blood sampling or test. Unless I just misread it or overlooked it. The resulting conclusion was drawn primarily from anecdotal feedback from the sample population and their reported "feel". That would put up a red flag for me in terms of the study design.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd be interested in your symptoms, but don't want you to express them here. Typically, E2 in older men cause prostrate problems, and in young men with out of control estrogen. DHT also has an affinity to bind to the prostrate. Chronic kidney disease, bladder infections, weak bladders, all contribute to prostrate problems. I can tell you why something like FlowMax relaxes the prostrate and why antibiotics help prostatitis, but I have found no one yet who can explain how SP works to help the prostrate. Like I said in the previous thread, there are guys who swear prayer works and have zero proof that is does, but that doesn't stop them from praying. I'm glad you have it under control, but I'm not convinced it's SP that did it. Sounds like you're on top of your PSA, so whatever works for you, great man.
One theory on ONE of the possible MOAs of saw palmetto in regards to its effectiveness in BPH is that the saw palmetto causes atrophy of the urinary epithelium thereby counteracting the effects of prostate growth.