Still can't use my hand, how can I workout?

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
I know in several other threads I've talked about my hand injury. I kept thinking it was almost better.....well it isn't. I don't know if it just needs to heal longer or if something is still wrong. Either way, I do need to be back in the gym working out.

For those of you who don't know or forgot: I broke my hand 6 months ago, and had surgery 4 months ago. I had my thumb displaced, and part of the thumb joint broke. I had 3 external hands put into my hand to fix the issue. My hand works pretty good, put the pressure off the weight on the actual joint still hurts too much to lift. I looked into using hooks or versa grips, but it looks like the pressure would slide to the bottom palm part of the thumb joint from the wrist. That is where I broke my thumb.

Besides doing like sit ups and push ups and some plyometrics anyone have any ideas?

CCV3

CCV3

Awards
  • Established
I messed my thumb up pretty bad sparring, about 2 weeks ago. Hyper extended, bruised bone, fractured, I have no clue because I haven't gotten an xray. Just hoping it heal on its on its own (it hasn't). I messed it up the same place you did, at the joint of the palm.

So I have been sticking with cables, machines and bench. I can't grip a free weight, so with the bar I just push with my palm (suicide grip). It's better than nothing. Try hitting those. It still hurts a little bit and has definitely delayed my healing though.

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
I messed my thumb up pretty bad sparring, about 2 weeks ago. Hyper extended, bruised bone, fractured, I have no clue because I haven't gotten an xray. Just hoping it heal on its on its own (it hasn't). I messed it up the same place you did, at the joint of the palm.

So I have been sticking with cables, machines and bench. I can't grip a free weight, so with the bar I just push with my palm (suicide grip). It's better than nothing. Try hitting those. It still hurts a little bit and has definitely delayed my healing though.
dude go get xrays.....it's most likely a bennetts fracture. Most of the time it requires surgery from an ortho. Not fun business at all. I tried letting mine heal by itself, it healed alright...more ****ed up then it was when I broke it. Save yourself some time and get it checked out.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
I know in several other threads I've talked about my hand injury. I kept thinking it was almost better.....well it isn't. I don't know if it just needs to heal longer or if something is still wrong. Either way, I do need to be back in the gym working out.

For those of you who don't know or forgot: I broke my hand 6 months ago, and had surgery 4 months ago. I had my thumb displaced, and part of the thumb joint broke. I had 3 external hands put into my hand to fix the issue. My hand works pretty good, put the pressure off the weight on the actual joint still hurts too much to lift. I looked into using hooks or versa grips, but it looks like the pressure would slide to the bottom palm part of the thumb joint from the wrist. That is where I broke my thumb.

Besides doing like sit ups and push ups and some plyometrics anyone have any ideas?
You could try Zercher Squats that wouldn't require grip. I'm not personally a fan of these, but when we have to make the best of our situation, we work with what we got.

It taxes the holy hell out of your core and though its a closer cousin to the squat then a dead lift, you still tax your posterior chain because the weight is in front of you, like a dead lift.

It's very effective for keeping overall strength up, boosting metabolism because its so compound-complex it stimulates traps, shoulders, bi's, core (abs, obliques, spinal erectors), quads, glutes, hams and calves. I like that you're doing Plyo's, that's a good alternative to get the most out of bodyweight exercises, but these Zerchers will keep you anchored in the strength and quasi-bodybuilding arena - adaptions.

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
You could try Zercher Squats that wouldn't require grip. I'm not personally a fan of these, but when we have to make the best of our situation, we work with what we got.

It taxes the holy hell out of your core and though its a closer cousin to the squat then a dead lift, you still tax your posterior chain because the weight is in front of you, like a dead lift.

It's very effective for keeping overall strength up, boosting metabolism because its so compound-complex it stimulates traps, shoulders, bi's, core (abs, obliques, spinal erectors), quads, glutes, hams and calves. I like that you're doing Plyo's, that's a good alternative to get the most out of bodyweight exercises, but these Zerchers will keep you anchored in the strength and quasi-bodybuilding arena - adaptions.

Thanks for the info!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
If I run into anything else or I think of anything, I'll return to this thread with suggestions. I've trained people who have had that similar surgery and obstructions to grip and they do all right.

Also, the Versas do pull on that area of the thumb you describe. I actually have callouses at the base of my thumb from where the strap rubs when doing heavy deads or shrugs. Apart from that, they're the best wraps in the business, imo.

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
It is the worst thing in the world...I've had torn muscles in my back, blown out knees....everything....this by far is way worse lol

CCV3

CCV3

Awards
  • Established
dude go get xrays.....it's most likely a bennetts fracture. Most of the time it requires surgery from an ortho. Not fun business at all. I tried letting mine heal by itself, it healed alright...more ****ed up then it was when I broke it. Save yourself some time and get it checked out.
I'm being stubborn. Everyone is telling me to go. I can't even grip a cup without it hurting and its been like this for 2 weeks. Problem is I'm on week 13 of a 18 week cycle and I can't let this get in the way right now. I'm on a roll, haha.

My doctor isn't going to do anything. He is going to take an xray, tell me to lay off it, and give me a thumb brace.

It has to heal itself eventually.

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
I'm being stubborn. Everyone is telling me to go. I can't even grip a cup without it hurting and its been like this for 2 weeks. Problem is I'm on week 13 of a 18 week cycle and I can't let this get in the way right now. I'm on a roll, haha.

My doctor isn't going to do anything. He is going to take an xray, tell me to lay off it, and give me a thumb brace.

It has to heal itself eventually.
uh that's what i thought...I let it heal for a month....healed wrong....lol I got more xrays, they couldn't fix it. I had to go to an orthopediac surgeon. He looked at the xrays and said my thumb was more ****ed up then when I broke it. So they had to rebreak it and put 3 external pins in my hand.....

Save yourself the extra pain and go bro.....it's not worth it! I have been handicapped for 6 months now because of it....

CCV3

CCV3

Awards
  • Established
uh that's what i thought...I let it heal for a month....healed wrong....lol I got more xrays, they couldn't fix it. I had to go to an orthopediac surgeon. He looked at the xrays and said my thumb was more ****ed up then when I broke it. So they had to rebreak it and put 3 external pins in my hand.....

Save yourself the extra pain and go bro.....it's not worth it! I have been handicapped for 6 months now because of it....
F that, Wolverine up in this!
You can just tell me "I told you so" in 2 months. Haha.

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
F that, Wolverine up in this!
You can just tell me "I told you so" in 2 months. Haha.
honestly it would be the last thing I would want to tell you. The pain involved with this surgery is something from a different world. Get it fixed now b4 you have to have a surgery like mine.