Receptor interactions ?

Chubbz

Awards
So I was talking to an ex bodybuilder at the gym (detached pec so he can't compete anymore) what he was telling me was 2 major things. 1st he said never to run test prop in a stack, as it binds to strongly to your receptors, obviously minimizing the effects of everything else in the stack. The 2nd thing was that you are not to run anything over 7 weeks because the receptors can only handle so much of the overload and once again minimizes the effects. I haven't been able to confirm or deny the theories. What are your opinions ?

sonicwaste

Awards
So I was talking to an ex bodybuilder at the gym (detached pec so he can't compete anymore) what he was telling me was 2 major things. 1st he said never to run test prop in a stack, as it binds to strongly to your receptors, obviously minimizing the effects of everything else in the stack. The 2nd thing was that you are not to run anything over 7 weeks because the receptors can only handle so much of the overload and once again minimizes the effects. I haven't been able to confirm or deny the theories. What are your opinions ?
Both theories are bogus

Smiley

Smiley

Awards
  • Established
I've heard a lot of people swear by reduced results after 6-7 weeks. Receptor related or not is a marathon discussion though...

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
results tend to diminish over time because your body is trying to keep up, it wants to reach homeostasis and starts trying to normalize your hormone ratios. One of the byproducts of this is the production of lots of cortisol. To overcome your bodies pesky little reaction you need to up the dose and utilize a cortisol blocker. Oh and yes...those initial two theories are total bro'lore BS....

sonicwaste

Awards
results tend to diminish over time because your body is trying to keep up, it wants to reach homeostasis and starts trying to normalize your hormone ratios. One of the byproducts of this is the production of lots of cortisol. To overcome your bodies pesky little reaction you need to up the dose and utilize a cortisol blocker. Oh and yes...those initial two theories are total bro'lore BS....
Spot on. I can not tell you enough what a difference an anti-cortisol/cortisol blocker has made for me. It's huge.

The body seeking homeostasis/adapting physiologically is huge factor as well.

It all comes down to diet/training plus optional cortisol supp if you want to continue to gain in the long run.

Most people tend to keep things the same after a while. Initial and normal reactions are to try to lift heavier and try to eat more... While, in the long run, with LBM gain you do need to up your calories. Continually increasing your calories and lifting heavy can actually be counterproductive.

After 8 weeks on cycle, it's time to change. I quite like to restrict my calories, fully deplete glycogen, and then super-compensate through re-feeds. This will get you growing again.

Also I like to switch to lifting on the lighter side, higher reps, marginally smaller range of motion (4/5ths), slow slow rhythm of repetition.

Creating a rebound is a huge factor for me. Basically famish then re-feed has worked for me when I go longer than 2 months.

I am almost 4 months in to a cut cycle right now. I am using my rebound method and continuing to drop body fat and increase LBM. The past 3 weeks, I have lost roughly 3lbs fat, and gained 2.5lbs LBM... roughly...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think as well that in a strong bulk at the 8+ week mark myostatin levels start to go up too. a few others have talked about that, as it is one of your body's primary negative feedback loop responses to muscle gain.

Also, if even a little of the receptor broscience was true then tren wouldnt work with anything else, as tren binds like a mofo to receptors. So far although one hormone may short term displace another at receptors, there isn't much evidence at all to truly support receptor downregulation

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
Both are silly. Most of the gains happen earlier in a cycle because this is when the water weight comes on. Water weight is quick, lean mass takes time. Test prop does not bind any stronger than any other test and quite a bit weaker than some synthetic steroids.

Chubbz

Awards
The test prop I didn't think was true, cuz I had never heard anything about it before, and lots of stories with good success, the 7 week idea I can see, but not for the same reasons, obviously a shorter cycle will be easier to come back from, pct will be easier, and you can run more cycles throughout the year, but his theory about the receptors intruiged me enough to ask around

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Both are silly. Most of the gains happen earlier in a cycle because this is when the water weight comes on. Water weight is quick, lean mass takes time. Test prop does not bind any stronger than any other test and quite a bit weaker than some synthetic steroids.
Where can the read more info on these things Seth? ;)

Kinda just going with the crowd but I agree with everyone. Both things are just nonsense. I hear so much receptor talk and it is usually inaccurate. A lot of people who talk about androgen receptors don't really understand the physiology of a receptor and how the cell interacts etc etc.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
Where can the read more info on these things Seth? ;)

Kinda just going with the crowd but I agree with everyone. Both things are just nonsense. I hear so much receptor talk and it is usually inaccurate. A lot of people who talk about androgen receptors don't really understand the physiology of a receptor and how the cell interacts etc etc.
Of course my book is a great place - thanks for the commercial.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
I love the book so have no trouble backing it.
I have also and will be doing more original writing for a new web site and of course I answer questions over at MD and I have my column in the mag too. I try to contribute wherever I can here too.

I'm glad you liked the book -- I wish everyone would read it so that we could get some mor egood conversations going.

UnrealMachine

UnrealMachine

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I want the book bad... sorry tho the next cycle is going to suck up my disposable money :p. But I really want to buy it after that, heard a lot of good things about it Seth.