Sweeten things up?

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
I am hardcore cutting on this velocity diet but the shakes taste horrible... can i use anything to sweeten them?

Honey?
agave nectar?

Something anything? I've heard too much honey can be a bad thing.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Splenda tastes good when added to shakes.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
Wont sugar still spike my insulin tho?

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
or am i worrying to much about that lol

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
guess ill pick some up then... this GNC whey, caienate, soy, egg mix is DISGUSTING!

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Oh really?

Didnt know that. Is it still zero calories?
IIRC...

Aspartame is metabolized, and therefor has a caloric value similar to sugar (4 calories/g). However, since it's ~200x sweeter than sugar, you essentially use 1/200th the dose. So it's a pretty insignificant number, but it's technically not a zero calorie sweetener.

Sucralose is not metabolized, and therefor has 0 zero calories. Sucralose is ~600x sweeter than sugar.

Splenda (brand name) has a bulking agent added to it which is derived from dextrose/matlodextrin, which will technically give it an insignificant amount of calories as well.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
I personally prefer sucralose. Aspartame wreaks havoc on my stomach. :dump:

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Pure sucralose is too concentrated to dispense for individual servings. Try measuring out 1/600th of a teaspoon. :food:

Splenda is sucralose cut with maltodextrin so that it is interchangeable with table/cane sugar (sucrose) on a 1:1 volume ratio. It has about 10% equivalent calories of sucrose.

Honey is a high calorie sweetener. Tastes great but highly overrated nutritionally IMO.

Another alternative is Stevia.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Pure sucralose is too concentrated to dispense for individual servings. Try measuring out 1/600th of a teaspoon. :food:
Yeah, good point. I used it for cooking, not to add to a shake every day. And I think I might've overdosed it a wee bit too. :lol:

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
stevia.

It is not as sweet as splenda, but stevia is natural and does not contain chlorine like splenda.

google stevia and splenda. Coca cola has been trying to bring stevia to the market for the last 10 years.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It is not as sweet as splenda, but stevia is natural and does not contain chlorine like splenda.
Technically it would not be chlorine but chloride bonded to some other sequence of molecules. If you are worried about your exposure to chloride then you would need to eliminate foods with salt (sodium chloride) as well. As far as I have read claims that sucralose causes a higher than normal absorption of said chloride are not based on any evidence.

There aren't really all that many sides listed in that article and again, no large, long term studies.

In the long run, there may be evidence that either sucralose, stevia, or both have some side effects. In the current term there is no such evidence so I say pick your poison and enjoy in moderation. :cheers:

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Splenda is sucralose cut with maltodextrin so that it is interchangeable with table/cane sugar (sucrose) on a 1:1 volume ratio. It has about 10% equivalent calories of sucrose.

Honey is a high calorie sweetener. Tastes great but highly overrated nutritionally IMO.

Another alternative is Stevia.
Healthy Cheat Foods/Anabolic Innovations have a liquid sucralose which makes adding sucralose to things much easier.

cvtsboss

cvtsboss

Awards
There aren't really all that many sides listed in that article and again, no large, long term studies.

In the long run, there may be evidence that either sucralose, stevia, or both have some side effects. In the current term there is no such evidence so I say pick your poison and enjoy in moderation. :cheers:
This was enough for me...

Splenda Side Effects Hotline Established

WASHINGTON, March 21, 2007 - Citizens for Health (CFH), the national grassroots advocacy organization committed to protecting and expanding natural health choices, has announced the establishment of 1-888-774-CALL (2255), a hotline for consumers who believe they are suffering side effects from the use of the artificial sweetener, Splenda. In light of the complaints they have already received, the group is also renewing their call for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to take action against McNeil Nutritionals, the manufacturer of Splenda.

"The FDA ignored our original request to look into these complaints, so we decided to step up and document them," said Jim Turner, Esq., chairman of the board of Citizens for Health. "I encourage consumers to contact us if they have suffered any side effects from the use of the chlorinated artificial sweetener Splenda and to join us in demanding that FDA immediately conduct case studies on possible side effects from its use."

To report side effects or adverse events, please call toll-free, 1-888-774-CALL (2255).

Citizens for Health also stated their support for various lawsuits around the country addressing Splenda's misleading marketing tactics. Earlier this month, a federal judge in Philadelphia ruled that Merisant Co., the manufacturers of Equal and Nutrasweet, had presented sufficient evidence that McNeil may have intentionally misled consumers to require that all the evidence be heard at trial.

"Splenda's advertising is false and misleading," commented Turner. "We are pleased the judge recognized the severity of these allegations and has ruled that the case should go to a jury trial. We also ask the FTC to review claims that the popular slogan 'Made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar' has led consumers to believe that Splenda is somehow more natural than other artificial sweeteners." The FTC is the government agency responsible for monitoring and enforcing advertising standards.

In April of 2006 Citizens for Health submitted a Citizens Petition to the FDA calling on the agency to revoke its approval of sucralose, the sweetening component of the artificial sweetener, Splenda.

Or this...

Splenda Sweetener Warning
January 2, 2007

Source : rense.com
PJ Tolley writes, “I just wanted to send you some information on the horrible new sweetener Splenda, so that hopefully you can warn others about this dangerous product. I tried this product, and within 2 hours of doing so, I developed severe bloating, a horrible headache and shortness of breath. I know this could only have been caused by the 3 teaspoons of Splenda I had used in my coffee, as I hadn’t eaten anything yet that morning, and my coffee was freshly ground and brewed. I then did research on Sucralose (Splenda), and discovered to my surprise a website that listed these possible side effects of using Splenda”.

Go with something more natural. Why take a chance??

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
your best bet is to go with stevia or with plain and simple organic cane sugar. I think a minor spike in insulin during a cut is more health beneficial to you than any of the many sides already found in aspartame and going to soon be found with splenda...don't you?

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
I dont think I buy a study like that for various reasons. The number one being that a huge tool that I have used for weight loss in the last 2 years is apples. Apples (which I try to have at least 2 daily of), taste mighty sweet to me, yet seem to give me the nutrients that I need to keep my motor running and actually keep me in a fat LOSS state...as opposed to gain.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
try splenda with a little bit of pumpkin pie spice if the shake flavor is agreeable.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I'd go with fresh pineapple. Or is that not a allowed in that sorta diet?

I can always taste the pineapple in my shakes, its great!

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I dont think I buy a study like that for various reasons. The number one being that a huge tool that I have used for weight loss in the last 2 years is apples. Apples (which I try to have at least 2 daily of), taste mighty sweet to me, yet seem to give me the nutrients that I need to keep my motor running and actually keep me in a fat LOSS state...as opposed to gain.
Of course apples are good to go, they're a natural fruit! The majority of my meals also contain both fruits and/or vegetables, which both contain natural sugars. Find me a man who proves fruit impedes health, and I'll jump out my window! It's the refined sugars that induce the major insulin spike, and this study brings the thought to the table that artificial sweeteners may still illicit that insulin response... despite not being a real "sugar" and even having zero calories. The body is quite the being, and the brain may very well react to the sugary taste. The Pavlov effect ties this theory together pretty well, and I think they may be onto something...

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Apples (which I try to have at least 2 daily of), taste mighty sweet to me, yet seem to give me the nutrients that I need to keep my motor running and actually keep me in a fat LOSS state...as opposed to gain.
Apples will only keep you in a fat loss state if by eating them you are NOT eating something with a higher calorie density that leads to a surplus calorie intake. One could still gain weight on apples if you ate enough of them (say 30/day).

I know what you are saying - I eat a lot of fruit myself - but I think this argument is most appropriate for zero calorie foods like veggies.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It's the refined sugars that induce the major insulin spike
Insulin response is dependent on several factors; it is not as simple of whether one consumes a natural or refined sugar.

and this study brings the thought to the table that artificial sweeteners may still illicit that insulin response... despite not being a real "sugar" and even having zero calories. The body is quite the being, and the brain may very well react to the sugary taste. The Pavlov effect ties this theory together pretty well, and I think they may be onto something...
I only skimmed the study but here is problem that I have with the theory.

One action of insulin is the lowering of blood glucose. Generally when one eats positive-calorie food, blood glucose goes up, insulin is produced, energy is metabolized, and blood glucose returns to 90 mg/dL baseline.

If insulin is produced/taken in the absence of energy (food) intake, there will be no offset to the lowering action and blood glucose will drop below baseline leading to hypoglycemia.

Since there are no widespread reports of zero-calorie sweetener induced hypoglycemia, I doubt that this effect is significant. Additionally, if people are using these sweeteners for foods that already have a positive calorie content, then some insulin production will be necessary anyhow.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I definitly agree with those points, but I find myself also believing that these artificial sweeteners do have some sort of an impact on the brain alongside the digestive system. Definitly a topic to keep our eyes open about! Just one more reason not to go overboard with the artificial stuff as well, which is always a good thing.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Highlanda I agree with you...I just wanted to see what you meant above. You kind of loosely stated that it was like anything else sweet...which I thought you meant would be perceived by your brain as sweet (ie - fruit). As far as everything else you've said...I think you're spot on.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Highlanda I agree with you...I just wanted to see what you meant above. You kind of loosely stated that it was like anything else sweet...which I thought you meant would be perceived by your brain as sweet (ie - fruit). As far as everything else you've said...I think you're spot on.

Man, thank goodness that's not the case EVERYTHING like fruit... cause I'd be like 500 pounds! hahahah

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
Insulin response is dependent on several factors; it is not as simple of whether one consumes a natural or refined sugar.

I only skimmed the study but here is problem that I have with the theory.

One action of insulin is the lowering of blood glucose. Generally when one eats positive-calorie food, blood glucose goes up, insulin is produced, energy is metabolized, and blood glucose returns to 90 mg/dL baseline.

If insulin is produced/taken in the absence of energy (food) intake, there will be no offset to the lowering action and blood glucose will drop below baseline leading to hypoglycemia.

Since there are no widespread reports of zero-calorie sweetener induced hypoglycemia, I doubt that this effect is significant. Additionally, if people are using these sweeteners for foods that already have a positive calorie content, then some insulin production will be necessary anyhow.
The one theory I've read is that there is a lowering of blood sugar which causes people to over eat. Have you noticed how over weight people seem to drink a lot of "diet" cola?

I would really like to see some study on this though which would really be simple. Drink diet cola on an empty stomach and measure blood sugar drop if any.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
The one theory I've read is that there is a lowering of blood sugar which causes people to over eat. Have you noticed how over weight people seem to drink a lot of "diet" cola?

I would really like to see some study on this though which would really be simple. Drink diet cola on an empty stomach and measure blood sugar drop if any.

I checked back at the board where I pulled the original study, and member posted up another small link... doesn't directly answer what you (and myself as well) would like to see, but I thought I'd just toss it out here for the sake of common knowledge.

BBC NEWS | Health | 'Diet' foods weight gain puzzle

It's relates to a potential appetite increase with artificial sweeteners.... the article summarizes a small study done at Purdue about zero-calorie sweeteners. Their argument was that the rats that were fed the zero-calorie sweeteners developed a larger appetite than those who were fed normal sugar. In time, the rats ended up eating more than their counterparts and gained signifigantly more adipose tissue.

It may not mean a thing, but there may some relevance... in the article they mentioned how the brain reacts to the sugary taste, expecting calories, and begins the process of what needs to be done in the digestive system. Without the influx of the expected calories, it sends you into a bit of a loop, and could end up increasing cravings, possibly even sugar cravings. Talking out of my ass here however, to be honest.

I'll keep digging sometime soon to see if I can pull anything else that may be more relevant to the discussion... I too have always been baffled about the "diet" soda thing. It just can't possibly have a nuetral impact, or near nuetral impact. Another reason why I'm so interested in this is because... I drink Crystal Lite!!! *gasp shock awe* hhaha. Masks my Posidon/CM/BA mix in the morning quite well. I've been meaning to ditch it anyways because of the looming threats of aspartame. Simple OJ, aka keeping it natural, sounds more appealing I suppose.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
I personally plan on switching to ATW very soon, so this is not an intended bad comment towards the company or anything...but I thought you chose an interesting thread to bring that up in since ATW is sweetened with Sucralose.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I personally plan on switching to ATW very soon, so this is not an intended bad comment towards the company or anything...but I thought you chose an interesting thread to bring that up in since ATW is sweetened with Sucralose.
Really :lol:

I had no idea. I don't get too caught up in the whole artificial sweeten pro's/con's cancer crap etc.....

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
haha yes it is.

I personally try to stay as natural as I can as far as ingredients go...but I think that the product from ATW is a good one, and the rest of my diet is pretty much free from anything artificial at all so I go with it.

The only reason I even know is because i've basically trained my eye to read every label I come across, haha. My girlfriend has a daughter that is 2 so I am constantly reading labels for her because she doesn't want her daughter to have artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjeeeebus look what i started by asking how to sweeten up my shakes hahaha... great topic now tho!

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjeeeebus look what i started by asking how to sweeten up my shakes hahaha... great topic now tho!
yeah it is a good topic...and in reply to that original question...organic sugar or raw honey ;)