Low Carb Bodybuilding

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Before I get into anything, I'm going to assume that nobody here trains on a year-round low carbohydrate diet. Am I correct?

merph

merph

Awards
Not me. You gotta have carbs for energy, When I bulk I eat quite abit I don't gorge on them but I don't skimp on them either. You gotta find your own happy medium

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Before I get into anything, I'm going to assume that nobody here trains on a year-round low carbohydrate diet. Am I correct?
You know I've dabbled in the low carb/CKD/carb cycling (UD2.0) and for me it's hell especially UD 2.0, I can't deal with it. I feel like **** all day, my eyes are dry I drink as much water as I can but that doesn't help. I can do CKD okay, no carbs up until workout time and I have been losing some fat, I honestly don't know that it is any different than with carbs. I honestly don't cut/bulk and certainly not a pro-bodybuilder nor do I ever want to be but I do like having an athletic physique.

I spent most of yesterday reading old posts by Bobo, and watching his clients cut down on 200-300 carbs a day and thinking why can't I do that? *Gasp* I believe that it is just as easy for me to store bodyfat from fats as it is from carbs so I plan on giving the high fat/protein no carb/low carb approach a break and get more into a tweaked 40/40/20 with a low glycemic approach. I have had some luck having a no carb breakfast (at least I feel leaner), just eating protein/fat for breakfast but then again maybe that's placebo.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
In regards to carbs for energy, I did MMA for years on a low carb diet. I didn't do much bodybuilding, however (at that time). But you'd be surprised how much energy I had doing low-carb. Atkins, as a matter of fact. My best martial art was Muay Thai Kickboxing. If you have any idea how much stamina is needed for this, you'd know that a low-carb diet doesn't deprive you of energy (at least not for me).

My main concern is glycogen.. I know I'm going to be low on a low carb diet. I'm hoping to get some input from people who may have gone through this for a long period of time. Again, I'm assuming I will end-up with no information.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
I need to lose fat in a serious way. So low carb without cycling is the only thing that's going to work for me. Since this is what seems to work best for me, I'd like to continue it (low carbing) as a way of life. I just wonder how successful I can be with putting on additional muscle mass (and saving what I have) while doing so..

The Scivation guys.. What do they do?

You know I've dabbled in the low carb/CKD/carb cycling (UD2.0) and for me it's hell especially UD 2.0, I can't deal with it. I feel like **** all day, my eyes are dry I drink as much water as I can but that doesn't help. I can do CKD okay, no carbs up until workout time and I have been losing some fat, I honestly don't know that it is any different than with carbs.

I spent most of yesterday reading old posts by Bobo, and watching his clients cut down on 200-300 carbs a day and thinking why can't I do that? *Gasp* I believe that it is just as easy for me to store bodyfat from fats as it is from carbs so I plan on giving the high fat/protein no carb/low carb approach a break and get more into a tweaked 40/40/20 with a low glycemic approach.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
look at the logs for a user Scivation he details his diet. he put on more than 30 clean pounds in 6 months on low carb diet...

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
look at the logs for a user Scivation he details his diet. he put on more than 30 clean pounds in 6 months on low carb diet...
Thank you! I will look into this..

I'm at Sandals in Nassau, Bahamas making my life MUCH more difficult when I get back to reality. I was on Weight Watchers before this and forget it - I need to get back to low carb. I look like a lumberjack meatball.

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Man I've spent enough time doing what other people do and found out that the **** they do, I can't do whether it be Layne or Derek, ect. Layne does a ****ing insane amount of volume, and working 40 hrs a week at a stressful job, I can't pull it off and by the third week I'll be getting worn out, tired and sick. I know the UD 2.0 works, basically carb cycling with a workout plan but I cannot say it is anymore effective than moderate carb/moderate protein and lower fat at least for me. The biggest difference for me came when I started doing 30 minutes cardio after weight training and 45 minutes on an empty stomach in the morning (I only do cardio 4x week) and logging my calories making sure I was in a slight deficit. What supplements are you taking?

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
At the moment, I'm taking NO supplements at all. Well, with the exception of a multivitamin with minerals, fish oils, fiber..... I think I'm going to give a serious low-carb diet like Atkins a shot and see what happens. I'm just afraid my bodybuilding days will be over. I may just have to give it up. I need to get into shape for health reasons. I can't stay fat forever..

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm sure you know as well as I about decent fat "assisting" supplements as I, but I think you are making a wise decision as health always comes first. Your in the Bahamas, enjoy yourself man! I am using Sensoril right now and plan on adding Lean Xtreme to the combo for my fat loss, I loathe stims as I am already an anxious person and worry about **** too much. Best of luck on your journey ZT.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I used a low carb diet this past winter, to gain mass and had good success with it.. I had good energy, made good strength gains, and added some nice mass.

If you need to lose fat, i would address that first. Then when it comes time to start gaining just be careful with your cal's, and take it slowly.

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Whats your definition of low-carb? I've been on low-carbs since jan of this year and dont really plan on over killing the carbs. When I start my DC traning I still dont plan on going over 300gr/day on traning days and will keep it close to 200gr on the weekends. Some say thats low-carb.
I consider anything under 100 low carb, with that 100 all around the workout and none at any other time (pre/post). I've tried the no carb (just trace carbs from veggies) and it was hell.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
Androgen-free right? That's almost impossible even for a noob.

merph

merph

Awards
That is 60 pounds of muscle a year. Natural he says :thumbsup:

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
My main concern is glycogen.. I know I'm going to be low on a low carb diet. I'm hoping to get some input from people who may have gone through this for a long period of time. Again, I'm assuming I will end-up with no information.
glycogen replinishment will still happen with zero to little carbs. it just might take longer to replenish levels post workout.
but in 24hrs your glycogen levels should be completly restorred and ready for your next workout.
i wouldn 't be concerned with this unless you were an endurance athlete training more than once per day.

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have been doing low carb for about 7 years. I have settled on CKD for various reasons. I carb up once or twice a week, depending on how I feel; if I feel bloated after the first days carb up I go straight back to low carb. This has not happened to me since the introduction of AP. All that being said, I weigh only 180 at 5'11'' and am not trying to get any bigger. I surf and skate, and bigger aint better for those activities. I do believe it is the only way to stay lean for us who are carb-sensitive endomorphs.

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The key is to "bracket" your carbs around your workout. I do 40-60grams of carbs per day, but all within the hours before and after my workout, with the post-workout carb source being fruit for its preferential glycogen replenishing.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
I bulked on a CKD this year for about 8 months. It worked just as well as any other diet I have used to bulk up.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
This was from his maybe 5% bf after contest
Oh c'mon, these guys are suppose to be well trained individuals. True fat-free mass doesn't come on that fast without androgens. Not even with a spotless clean bulking diet to limit fat gain...

For some, including myself, low-carb diets may provide better strength/mass gains as a whole when fats are increased so I can see a greater realm of possibility, but 30 lbs in 6 months?!? Riight!

Either you have received misinformation, or that's tha biggest line of crap I've ever heard.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some of it was wet, as I think he went from 5% at 165 to around 9% at 195

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
Some of it was wet, as I think he went from 5% at 165 to around 9% at 195

That's around 20 lbs lean body mass in 6 months...just under 3.5lbs per month...doable but not common.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
to the OP...

Take a look at The Anabolic Diet...it may be right up your alley.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, the post-contest swing was definitely a lot of it

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I LOVE low carbing. I have only been doing it for approx 5 months however I learned quickly that I was in fact carb sensitive. I practice a more TKD style but probably lower carb then your typical TKD. Its not uncommon at all that I dont use any carb source pwo.

I've seen a good amount of fat loss, better energy and clarity, and was able to retain a large amount of LBM while losing fat w/out cardio.

Purely anecdotal results of course....but I dont see myself stopping the low carb lifestyle anytime soon.