Grocery List...what it cost?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok I haven't bought groceris for myself in almost 3 years. Eating these quanities of food what would be a ball park cost for me to eat for the month? I would probably be buying in bulk but no garuntee's

15 dozen eggs (~6-8/day)
15lbs ckicken (~10oz/day)
15lbs steak (~10oz/day)
15lbs Tilapia (~10oz/day)
~30 potatoes (1 a day)
~10lbs or brown rice ( ~2.5lbs/week)
2 containers of oats (~1 cup/day)
4 gal of skim milk (if this lactase works) (whenever to get in cals
4 containers of fat-free plain yogurt (same as milk)

Geeze that looks like A LOT of food and im a little scared of what the $ may be.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man, food prices are ever so rising right under our noses. I do about half of the grocery shopping(which i HATE doing). I can tell you that it's going to be quite a bit my friend. Milk itself has become ridiculous in its pricing.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man, food prices are ever so rising right under our noses. I do about half of the grocery shopping(which i HATE doing). I can tell you that it's going to be quite a bit my friend. Milk itself has become ridiculous in its pricing.
Thats what im afraid of. I know a few years back I was getting a little less than this much per month and spending about $150.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats what im afraid of. I know a few years back I was getting a little less than this much per month and spending about $150.
I think about 2x that would be accurate these days. It's crazy!

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
Milk alone is almost $4 a gallon. I'll bet thats $300-$350 easily. 45 pounds of meat is gonna cost.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
I dont think that will cost too much. $25 for milk. $40 for the chicken. $50-60 for the steak. I might be off on the fish, but Id guess about $30? $25 for the eggs. $5 for the oats. $15 for the rice. Maybe $20 for the yogurt. And $20 for the potatoes.

So yeah, $250 or so. Thats not bad, like $8 a day.

This is all off the top of my head and somewhat guessing. So dont hammer me if Im off to much on something please? :)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha, Americans complaining about food prices. :rolleyes:

Milk, eggs, and pretty much all produce is usually half-the-cost in America as opposed to Canada; the agricultural industry is highly subsidized in America - much moreso than here - and as a result, it isn't that bad. Oddly enough pop is about 1/2 the price in America as well.

Try coming to Canada homie, at that point you'd die at the cost of that list. Luckily, I live about 15 minutes away from the border!

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I'd agree with the $300+, I wish we could get those massive tubs of egg whites here in Canada instead of me buying like 30 500ml containers at a time.

Also have a look at professionalmuscle, i was reading on there today that Talapia is a no no, too high in omega 6's and too low in omega 3's.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd agree with the $300+, I wish we could get those massive tubs of egg whites here in Canada instead of me buying like 30 500ml containers at a time.

Also have a look at professionalmuscle, i was reading on there today that Talapia is a no no, too high in omega 6's and too low in omega 3's.
really? care to share the link kind sir?

It's more expensive than 97/3 ground beef and if I can buy 10lbs at a time it cuts it even more so this may not be a bad thing.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
found the old excell spread sheet for my monthly living cost and here the food stuff

Oatmeal-$6
Brown Rice-$6
Chicken- $23
Steak-$60
potatoes-$20
veggies-$15
TOTAL:$130

Steak and chicken was 15lbs and 15dozen eggs. I don't know the quantities on the others and milk was a whatever.

I know the cost of things have gone up. I think $300 would be my limit. I will only be making about $850/month

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The day i can't eat talapia, is the day i stop eating fish. Although, i like grouper very much also. Tons of it here in florida for a decent price.

I love my skim milk, but at $4.00/gallon it's become nuts.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Where do you normally shop at DW?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I split between Gordons Food Service, Costco and Wal-Mart.
Yeah, Costco is your best bet overall if you're going to buy in bulk. That's what i do, and it saves you a good amount in the long run.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, Costco is your best bet overall if you're going to buy in bulk. That's what i do, and it saves you a good amount in the long run.
Are those memberships good nation wide? My mom has one here and school is 700miles away could I use the membership there or no?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are those memberships good nation wide? My mom has one here and school is 700miles away could I use the membership there or no?
Yes - It should work at different locations.

thebrainn

Awards
Damnit :frustrate

I'm going to have to try and find the time to make a phantom grocery store trip. Is there any reason to think food in one area of the country will cost more/less than another?
Food in one area of the country will most definately cost different. I learned this first hand while in college. I moved from Florida to Nebraska. Think about the supply chain. Beef and certain produce was about 33% less in Nebraska than Florida. Fish and citrus (and similar non-hearty fruits) on the other hand were about 33% (or more) more. As well, Florida has about a 5-10% premium on everything due to being it's own trucking/shipping route with no drive-through capability.

Find out where your grocer buys meats and fish from. Sam's Club buys regionally, so a store in Nebraska is getting beef from NE and Iowa, where there is an abundance of it, thus keeping the price lower. Also, stop throwing out those sales flyers in your mail. The grocers in my area tend to rotate sales so 1 of them is always selling chicken, etc. at 2 for 1. Shop the sales and get an upright freezer.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I need to get a Sams Club membership again. Man I miss having that. Gonna have to look into it.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm all about BJ's, Costco, and Sam's Club. Although, less on the Sam's Club, because they're affiliated with Wal-Mart.......YUCCKKK! :)

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you're just going to buy once at Costco/Sam's Club, I would suggest just going with a friend that is a member. Or if worst comes to worst, have cash in your hand and have somebody else check out with it, and pay them cash.

PS It's still a ton cheaper for food in the US, and you've get better selection that in Canada. I hear you can pick up 40lb fresh chicken breast for $50 in Sam's Club in Buffalo, considering checking that out lol.

PS I might be doing my math wrong, but isn't EggWhites International more expensive than costco? I can get 1L of Egg Whites for $3.15 or so, and the 4 gallon case (15 L) is $112 + $20 Shipping. :confused:

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
Well you can change it a bit to cheaper meats and lower your grocery bill considerably. Intsead of tilapia buy tuna. Instead of ground beef buy ground turkey it is A LOT cheaper (atleast where I live, around $2.50/lb) I know they may not be of preference but you could end up saving a Grant or even a Benjamin.Of course you always save money when buying in bulk, you just better have a big freezer!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well you can change it a bit to cheaper meats and lower your grocery bill considerably. Intsead of tilapia buy tuna. Instead of ground beef buy ground turkey it is A LOT cheaper (atleast where I live, around $2.50/lb) I know they may not be of preference but you could end up saving a Grant or even a Benjamin.Of course you always save money when buying in bulk, you just better have a big freezer!
Ground turkey isn't much cheaper where i'm at in florida.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Verdicts in

To eat this exact meal plan each day for 4 weeks will cost $291.37 (thats w/ tax). The stuff I priced is from a local grocery store, mixed and match'd store brand and name brand.

I'm shooting high here just to be on the safe side of things. Also it doesn't include protein powders. I'll probably buy 50lbs from ATW of the Whey blend and 25lbs Milk Protein. As a going away to school present :D

I'm doing DC training so gotta follow the DC type diet :thumbsup:

Meal 1:
6 whole eggs
8oz OJ
1/2 cup oats (dry)
16oz skim milk
1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt

Meal 2:
50gr protein powder
2 peices whole wheat bread
1banana
2tbs natty peanut butter

Meal 3:
8oz Chicken
1/4 cup Long Grain Rice
1/2 cup green beans

Post Workout:
50gr protein powder
1.5 cups Oatmeal (dry)

Meal 5:
8oz chicken
1/4 cup long grain rice
1/2 cup green beans

Meal 6 & 7:
8oz 90/10 ground beef
1 cup brocoli
1TBS EVOO

Before Bed:
1-2 scoops Milk Protein

Daily Macros
Protein: ~450gr
Carbs: 250-350 (non-workout and workout)
Fat: 80gr
Calories: 3,500-4,000

Since Im carb sensative im going to slowly add in carbs each week by about 30/week and will be at about the macros above by the time I leave for school. If I handle the carbs ok.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
PS It's still a ton cheaper for food in the US, and you've get better selection that in Canada. I hear you can pick up 40lb fresh chicken breast for $50 in Sam's Club in Buffalo, considering checking that out lol.
Damn I don't even know where a Sam's Club is:think:
I just started paying for all my own food again and its really not to bad for me. I am a big carb eater though, I live off of Oats, Oat Bran, and Broccoli. I am just waiting for Turkey to go on sale so I can stock up, its by far my favorite food. Depending on where you move to you may want to consider befriending people who work in restaurants. When I worked at a restaurant a couple years ago I was getting 30 pounds of chicken breast for a little less than $30 through our vendors.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
When I bulk I spend about 80 a week. Chicken, fish and turkey included.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I spend about 175 a week for my girl and i. Wish i could get it down, but i eat allot of sirloin..lol

thebrainn

Awards
Im looking at buying a 3.5cubic foot freezer so I can stock up on sales.

I know walmart will have ground beef for 2.39/lbs around here sometimes. Which would cut the coast of that alone from $104 to $67 a month
Definately check out craigslist.org

I got my upright freezer there for under $100.