Omega 3 eggs

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
On a keto diet, would it be unhealthy to eat 6 whole eggs a day if they are Omega 3? or will my body simply burn off the dietary cholesterol and fats as energy?

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
well there are next to none saturated fats in an Omega 3 egg, so the fats in it are only omega 3 fats which are good so they would be fine to have.

djl

Awards
  • Established
well there are no saturated fats in an Omega 3 egg, so the fats in it are only omega 3 fats which are good so they would be fine to have.
That's incorrect--sat fat levels are the same as normal eggs:

From http://www.organicvalley.coop/faq/eggs/omega-3-eggs/:

Code:
Comparison of Fat Profile *
  	Omega-3 Enriched**  	

Classic Egg**
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 	830 mg      871 mg
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 	270 mg      93 mg
Monosaturated Fats 	1.5 grams   1.5 grams
Saturated Fats 	        1.5 grams   1.5 grams
Cholesterol            225 mg      215 mg
** Based on 1 whole large egg

* Values may vary by a natural variance of 10%-20%.

Note: Changes to the fatty acid profile do not affect the functional properties of the egg for cooking

In answer to OP, I've seen posts for and against eating a lot of eggs--you'll generally be fine if you do all things in moderation (which is my way of saying I don't know).

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
That's incorrect--sat fat levels are the same as normal eggs:

From http://www.organicvalley.coop/faq/eggs/omega-3-eggs/:

Code:
Comparison of Fat Profile *
  	Omega-3 Enriched**  	

Classic Egg**
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 	830 mg      871 mg
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 	270 mg      93 mg
Monosaturated Fats 	1.5 grams   1.5 grams
Saturated Fats 	        1.5 grams   1.5 grams
Cholesterol            225 mg      215 mg
** Based on 1 whole large egg

* Values may vary by a natural variance of 10%-20%.

Note: Changes to the fatty acid profile do not affect the functional properties of the egg for cooking

In answer to OP, I've seen posts for and against eating a lot of eggs--you'll generally be fine if you do all things in moderation (which is my way of saying I don't know).

and you actually need some sat fats, especially us NON-SEDENTARY individuals......you nut.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I was eating 6 whole normal eggs when I ran my CKD. Don't worry about the cholesterol man, it won't be detrimental.

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
On a keto diet, would it be unhealthy to eat 6 whole eggs a day if they are Omega 3? or will my body simply burn off the dietary cholesterol and fats as energy?

Eating 6 whole eggs on a keto diet would not be harmful or unhealthy, since each egg has <1g of carbohydrates. I would recommend maybe eating say 3 in the a.m. and possibly 3 post-workout. You don't burn off cholesterol as energy, if you are on a keto diet than yes the fat will be used as energy.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
Eating 6 whole eggs on a keto diet would not be harmful or unhealthy, since each egg has <1g of carbohydrates. I would recommend maybe eating say 3 in the a.m. and possibly 3 post-workout. You don't burn off cholesterol as energy, if you are on a keto diet than yes the fat will be used as energy.
I like this idea. Thanks a lot for all the replies. Yeah up to this point I really haven't been concerned with cholesterol intake. I eat a very healthy diet otherwise with lots of healthy oils and omega 3s, so any cholesterol from egg yolks (which also have other health benefits) is negligible I'm sure. I just wanted to check with ya'll haha.