wheaties

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
it's actually, all kidding aside, a hell of a part of a good breakfast. Has good fiber and nutrients, and while it's complex, it still moves through you to break the fast at a good speed. A big bowl of that with milk and a chopped up banana with a protein drink to wash it all down is a great breakfast (if wanting to gain body mass more than wanting to 'cut').

hitstick11

Awards
good ****, thanks that was the answer i was looking for

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Grape Nuts are good, too.

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
i actually prefer fruity pebbles. its rich in taste :food:

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
All Bran/Raisin Bran are my cereals of choice when in a bind or just want a quick carb fix.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I swear by porridge for the last.. oh probably 6+ years. If I'm in a rush I use oatbran, or steel-cut oats if I've got time.

I just never was a cereal fan. The way it swims around in the milk, nah. I like some solid bone-sticking porridge :)

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am skeptical on this one... I don't think Wheaties are a very good source of nutrition. Cereals in general really.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Wheaties are fine if mixed with some fat and protein.

I like the Kashi GoLEAN Crunch!...

serv. - 1c
cal - 200
fat - 4.5 [4 being mono and poly uns.]
carb. - 36
fiber - 8
protein - 9

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wheaties are fine if mixed with some fat and protein.

I like the Kashi GoLEAN Crunch!...

serv. - 1c
cal - 200
fat - 4.5 [4 being mono and poly uns.]
carb. - 36
fiber - 8
protein - 9
Sugar, Salt, Corn syrup... damn there is 4 grams of sugar in a 27 gram serving. That's close to 15% added sugar! You'd be better off eating the box.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Sugar, Salt, Corn syrup... damn there is 4 grams of sugar in a 27 gram serving. That's close to 15% added sugar! You'd be better off eating the box.
4g... better run and hide.

:ntome:

This is not a perfect world in which we live. We must pick and choose our battles.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yah but there's oatmeal and it tastes great...:thumbsup:

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Depends.. Do you want a high GI carb? Is this for post workout or something?

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Werd. I love oatmeal. What do you flavor your oatmeal with?
I just use a scoop of protien in about 2/3 of a cup of skim milk.

Unpasturized honey really rocks too...

I've heard of people using molasses too... I haven't tried it.

I let my son use unsweetened apple sauce and cinnimon... I was feeling generous.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I just use a scoop of protien in about 2/3 of a cup of skim milk.

Unpasturized honey really rocks too...

I've heard of people using molasses too... I haven't tried it.

I let my son use unsweetened apple sauce and cinnimon... I was feeling generous.
Milk? Honey? Didn't you just harp on "sugar"?

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Skim milk and honey are not sugar...honey is glucose not a simple sugar, skim milk has next to no sugar in it at all.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I swear by porridge for the last.. oh probably 6+ years. If I'm in a rush I use oatbran, or steel-cut oats if I've got time.

I just never was a cereal fan. The way it swims around in the milk, nah. I like some solid bone-sticking porridge :)
I'd eat more hot cereals if I wasn't so lazy for the first 3 hours upon waking. I feel the microwave is evil when it comes to nutrition, which only leaves the stove, etc.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Skim milk and honey are not sugar...honey is glucose not a simple sugar, skim milk has next to no sugar in it at all.
um...

Every milk product I've seen has ~12g of sugar (lactose) per cup...

"Lactose is a disaccharide that consists of β-D-galactose and β-D-glucose fragments bonded through a β1-4 glycosidic linkage."

Lactose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And honey...

"Honey gets its sweetness from the monosaccharides fructose and glucose"

Honey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not trying to e-argue or anything. I just find it odd that you snubbed the sugar in cereal, yet defend the sugar in honey and milk.

Honestly, I eat it ALL!

:bruce1:

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can't compare fructose to the sugar they put in cereals. Glucose and Fructose are simple sugars you're right I got it backwards it's complex sugars that are bad like sugar itself is sucrose made of of two simple sugars. (glucose and fructose).

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't sweat the 4g of sugars in Kashi, what I would sweat is the protein source; Darned Soy!

As for flavouring your oatmeal, lots of good tricks I've used over the years. For spices: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice and Cardamon
Others: Berries or A bit of Raspberry Crystal Light. Also a vanilla/berry protein powder works too.

It may sound crazy, but chocolate protein powder + cocoa powder makes an awesome bowl of porridge. It's like eating a bowl of melted chocolate if done right.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Honestly, I wouldn't sweat any of it. It's all too minimal to worry about, IMO. I get burnt out when I start micro-managing every single thing, ya know. So, I stick to basics and it is working well. Of course, if you are really serious (like want to get on stage), then this may be of concern.

So, yeah, eat your cereal and oats. Just don't smother the stuff in sugar or other carb-laden sweeteners.

I wouldn't sweat the 4g of sugars in Kashi, what I would sweat is the protein source; Darned Soy!

As for flavouring your oatmeal, lots of good tricks I've used over the years. For spices: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice and Cardamon
Others: Berries or A bit of Raspberry Crystal Light. Also a vanilla/berry protein powder works too.

It may sound crazy, but chocolate protein powder + cocoa powder makes an awesome bowl of porridge. It's like eating a bowl of melted chocolate if done right.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yah like you said pick your battles, it's just that I don't trust processed foods much. Cereals are one of the area's of concern for me.

I believe in keeping your diet fairly clean and if you start to go nuts have a treat. Some treats are better than others though. I try to keep almonds and dates around for such an occasion and I have the odd low carb protein bar. I will also sometimes eat a small portion of gelato for a treat as well. I just keep my everyday food fairly clean. I advize trainees to do the same.

Jtrain84

Jtrain84

Awards
whole grain smart start, but oatmeal is the way to go in the mornings

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
1 cup oatmeal with 2 servings of brown sugar (8g), the bomb, no doubt. and i agree with shakes on this, lets face it, most of us arent pros. we can spare 10 g of sugar.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
Yah like you said pick your battles, it's just that I don't trust processed foods much. Cereals are one of the area's of concern for me.

I believe in keeping your diet fairly clean and if you start to go nuts have a treat. Some treats are better than others though. I try to keep almonds and dates around for such an occasion and I have the odd low carb protein bar. I will also sometimes eat a small portion of gelato for a treat as well. I just keep my everyday food fairly clean. I advize trainees to do the same.
Speaking of Gelato, I just recently tried some for the first time on vacation. Holy sh!t! Tastes awesome. I hadn't ever heard of it before. The place was cool too because their scoop size was really small in portion.

Tiramasu (sp?) is amazing!

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Speaking of Gelato, I just recently tried some for the first time on vacation. Holy sh!t! Tastes awesome. I hadn't ever heard of it before. The place was cool too because their scoop size was really small in portion.

Tiramasu (sp?) is amazing!
yah it's good stuff and most places use small portions. I have about 10 gelato places within walking distance from where I live. I live in Old Montreal which is kind of a tourist area. I am pretty good at avoiding temptation but sometimes on the weekend I treat myself (I earned it.)