alcohol consumption

idelaluzi

Awards
I've been very diligent about diet for a while now. however, I feel that I my social life might be taking a hit because i've been avoiding going out drinking. I'm not really sure if my priorities are in order. At my age, 20, I'm starting to think that I'd be silly to miss out on a lot of fun times, just to keep my body comp optimal. While I'll try to be conservative...I think that I need to loosen up a bit and act my age.

I was hoping people could make suggestions as far as how to adjust daily meals if I know in advance that alcohol consumption is going to take place at night. Also, any supplementation that you'd recommend to combat the effects would be appreciated.

I'm hoping you guys can cut me some slack. I've seen all the threads about the effects of alcohol and I'm well aware of its detrimental effects, but I don't want to get older and look back with regrets saying I missed out on a lot of fun so I could have some muscle.... After all, there's more to life than getting jacked.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I am going to become a youth pastor, I avoid alchohol period.... you dont miss out on anything. I have still been out with friends, and to a bar, and everything else. Difference is you are sober, and you actually realize....wow glad that isnt me....

most people who have major health problems once they are in their thirties can attribute it in some link of a chain of something back to their "wilder" days.

You dont miss anything, and you actually WONT be regretting instead of vice versa. When you have a child with some girl you barely knew cuz the raincoat fell apart, you will be regretting being worried about regretting.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I've been very diligent about diet for a while now. however, I feel that I my social life might be taking a hit because i've been avoiding going out drinking. I'm not really sure if my priorities are in order. At my age, 20, I'm starting to think that I'd be silly to miss out on a lot of fun times, just to keep my body comp optimal. While I'll try to be conservative...I think that I need to loosen up a bit and act my age.

I was hoping people could make suggestions as far as how to adjust daily meals if I know in advance that alcohol consumption is going to take place at night. Also, any supplementation that you'd recommend to combat the effects would be appreciated.

I'm hoping you guys can cut me some slack. I've seen all the threads about the effects of alcohol and I'm well aware of its detrimental effects, but I don't want to get older and look back with regrets saying I missed out on a lot of fun so I could have some muscle.... After all, there's more to life than getting jacked.

Prioritize your goals, and then figure out how much of an effect alcohol will have on them. You can always drink in moderation. It doesn't mean you have to black out.

Keyword: Moderation

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Prioritize your goals, and then figure out how much of an effect alcohol will have on them. You can always drink in moderation. It doesn't mean you have to black out.

Keyword: Moderation
Bingo. You don't have to shotgun a case to have a good time. Stick with an amount that gets you intoxicated, but not obliterated and then consume fluids, electrolytes, and food before you go to bed.

idelaluzi

Awards
I totally agree. I'm not saying I'm looking to put myself in a coma on a bi-weekly basis. I just feel that I've been missing out on a fair amount by trying to avoid alcohol altogether. Basically, what I was asking, is knowing that I'm going to be indulging one night...what is the best way to adjust food intake and are there any supps that help counteract cals associated with alcohol?

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
there's nothing much that can erase cals from booze. but you can choose the booze that's not high in calories. light beer, white wine, vodka/rum are all great choices. actually, i'm gonna go get a bottle or two of wine tonight. my lady's coming back from L.A. and i'm gonna get her and me wine-buzzed and we're gonna romp around the house. ha ha!

Jaynandez

Jaynandez

Awards
Go out and have a blast man, just know your limits. Don't be one of those guys that thinks he can drink up the bar and not get drunk just tipsy. When I go out I know when I've reached that point where I'm about to go from tipsy to drunk and I slow down and order a bottle of water. Like the others said you don't need to get trashed to have a good time. You just have to get the girl trashed and you'll have a great time...lol.

tpduke112

Awards
White wine actually works great. 3 glasses and you are buzzing nicely while not taking in as many calories as other beverages.

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established

I recommend using Phenibut instead of alcohol. It feels just as good (if not better) and there is no calories.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
at 20, get out and enjoy life bro, if it means having a couple of drinks, then have them. as others have mentioned - moderation is the key.

and if you do overindulge and have a bender, then don't stress it but make sure you learn from it and feel the pain, lol
nothing worse than rolling up to the gym on a monday afetr a severe bender on a saturday night, you'll find that it really wasn't worth getting hammered when your bench warm up feels like your max weight lol

however i see way too many young guys live bb'ing 24/7 that they miss you on a lot of other things in life, having a social life doesn't have to mean that you get hammered every weekend, it just means getting out and interacting with others.

live life bro but make smart choices and if you can't always make the right choice, just try to learn from it.

p.s i've even had a friend once who was so into bb'ing that he wouldn't go to a movie with me because he had a meal scheduled about the time the movie would have been about halfway through :fool2:

cheers

BrMe86

BrMe86

Awards
Take a multivitamin. Or a B-complex. B-12 is significantly depleted when you drink a lot. B-6 supplementation can also help, but don't use Pyroxidine HCL because of hepatatoxicity (use p-5-p). Vitamin A is also depleted. Liver glycogen is severely depleted. So...have some sugary food. I'm sure you've heard of people having a Bloody Mary the next morning to help them get over their hangover. It's actually the antioxidants in the tomato juice that helps to rid them of their hangover. IMO, the best food to have after a night of drinking and the following morning is watermelon. It has lots of electrolytes and has lots of lycopene. It's 92% water, so that will help with hydration and it has a GI value of...72, I think. Granted, the glycemic load is very low, but it will help. I've also heard of people eating pb/honey/banana sandwiches which should be at least as good as watermelon. Milk is also good to drink. Hope that helps.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
i have a good friend who is a real active lifter, surfer and martial artist and he swears that by drinking a glass of juice or water mixed with posidieon before bed after a night of drinking works wonders, he also has a posidieon brew the following morning.

alcohol dehydrates and posideion rehydrates so it does make sense

:thumbsup:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have a good friend who is a real active lifter, surfer and martial artist and he swears that by drinking a glass of juice or water mixed with posidieon before bed after a night of drinking works wonders, he also has a posidieon brew the following morning.

alcohol dehydrates and posideion rehydrates so it does make sense

:thumbsup:
Hmmm, sounds like me sans surfing and I add in a 500mcg methylcobalamin shot as well before I go out.