Eating on the wild side?

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Anyone tried eating crocodile?

Barrow Boar Ltd.

You can get Crocodile tail fillet from that site,Wildboar, Ostrich.

Keziefoods Zebra from that one! Also python meat! I've always wanted to try some meaty snake!

I didn't even think you could buy crocodile meat! Some of the meats are pretty expensive. Might treat myself at christmas to a Crocodile fillet :D

Anyone tried any of these yummy looking meats?

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
when i was way younger like 5-6 my dad had it in florida on a vacation. I think he said it was ok, a little different. Not something he would eat alot off...and he likes steak and burgers, etc etc

i hear ostrich is good, but pricey. also a quality protein source.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Haven't tried croc but if its close to alligator its makes a good jerky. Ostrich is really good IMO, I want to try an ostrich egg really bad.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Venison is awesome! I am thinking about getting a hunting license this year just to bag a couple deers but I will probably chicken out on shooting them. Bison is good to but its so damn expensive.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Ostrich is great. I used to eat it every week until Fudruckers stopped carrying it. Their ostrich burgers were great

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Ostrich is really good IMO, I want to try an ostrich egg really bad.

That rediculous...f#ckn ostrich egg, that thing would be a whole days meal.

Croc is good, you would never know what it was unless someone told you. Its got a pretty generic taste.

Zebra sounds interesting.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Haven't tried croc but if its close to alligator its makes a good jerky. Ostrich is really good IMO, I want to try an ostrich egg really bad.
that would make a big fried egg! I've seen Ostrich burgers a lot at the farmers market, but never actually tried one.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Venison is great. We sell ostrich/beef jerky at work and it tastes amazing. I'd love to try crocodile and horse; two animals which I've heard taste great.

That rediculous...f#ckn ostrich egg, that thing would be a whole days meal.
It's also the world's largest cell...

Attachments

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
python meat! I've always wanted to try some meaty snake!

I didn't even think you could buy...... Some of the meats are pretty expensive. Might treat myself at christmas :D

Anyone tried any of these yummy looking meats?
wow! its kinda ghey in here!!!

you set yourself up bro, had to make the joke...

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
buffalo burgers are great! I had croc and it wasn't that good. Tasted like... not much really. lol. Venison is the only reason that I'll wake up at 4am and go sit in the cold woods.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
buffalo burgers are good. theres a place near me that sells them.

They have elk burgers too. havent tried those yet.

Bering C

Bering C

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Moose is great, also caribou, and of course salmon the real kind not farmed. Just one more benny living in The AK.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
the only buffalo around here is frozen patties that I can sometimes buy at the store. They aren't very big around here.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Ostrich deli meat is great. I stop at the Cabelas by my house sometimes just to get one at their deli. Ive had alligator and liked it, but never crocodile.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
wow! its kinda ghey in here!!!

you set yourself up bro, had to make the joke...
haha now that i read it again it does seem kinda ghey :p

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I've had alligator and buffalo, I like them both. Deer meat as well. I try to get buffalo most of the summer as we have a farm near us that sells it.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
here it is like 5 bucks for 2 buffalo burgers... Im not sure if that is a good price or not.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
here it is like 5 bucks for 2 buffalo burgers... Im not sure if that is a good price or not.
Thats about the same price for 2 venison burgers over here. Mean't to buy them yesterday but then i realised how skint i really am :( Maybe next month :p

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i keep a pound of alligator in the freezer all the time, when I get in a wild mood I make some chili with it, and the buy another pound for the freezer :) they sell it in all the publix stores in the seafood dept

I used to have to get it elsewhere, now its convenient

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
i keep a pound of alligator in the freezer all the time, when I get in a wild mood I make some chili with it, and the buy another pound for the freezer :) they sell it in all the publix stores in the seafood dept

cool. You don't get none of that in the supermarkets here in Scotland. Only get stuff like, chicken/salmon/beef/vension,lamb. All the usual stuff! Defo going to get me some Zebra steak at some point! alligator sounds pretty good. My wallet is going to be bust with buying all these tasty meats!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the gator lightly rolled in cornmeal, then quick fried in coconut oil to brown it, then added to chili is superb

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
lets face it guys....we'd eat anything that once had a pulse :food:

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Gator/Croc is ok. Pretty wasteful though as it is a very small section of the tail. I know the other parts are 'used', just seems silly to me.

Bison is fantastic meat. Lean and grass-fed, lots of farms here in CO.

Ostrich is delicious, more like a steak than 'poultry'.

Elk, moose, deer are great, but depends on the processing. Sausages aren't all that good for you, but loin and steaks are where its at.

Horse is huge in Canada and a high quality protein source. Us Americans sort of have a aversion to it, but its available in most grocery stores in CA, (at least was in Quebec).

Great restaurant here that serves just about everything, gator, rattlesnake, quail, elk, bison, Rocky Mtn. Oysters, etc. Buffalo Prime Rib is my fave!

http://www.buckhornexchange.com/

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
you can buy venison???? It's illegal to sell in PA atleast....

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
BrMe86

BrMe86

Awards
you can buy venison???? It's illegal to sell in PA atleast....
There are farms that raise deer specifically for human consumption...I think even in PA.

I like squirrel, but I love rabbit. I shot 6 deer this year & I've been loving it. But I can already see the end of my supply of venison and it's making me feel homicidal (towards Bambi). There's nothing better than free meat...

"If people aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?"

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
^^ haha. Maybe the law is just against selling of meat that isn't farm raised. IDK. maybe ill look it up....

probably not. lol

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established

Easy, you make me laugh man. Hahaha. Even when I'm in a bad mood, you can turn my day around 180 degrees. lol.

"I always keep a pound of alligator in my freezer..." -Easy

Priceless.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i definitely march to the beat of a different drummer

JoeYoung

JoeYoung

Awards
I had fresh ostrich when I was in Africa (ostrich neck actually) and it wasn't too bad, as far as horse meat in the grocery stores here in Canada, its never been in any of the supermarkets here in the East Coast.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I had fresh ostrich when I was in Africa (ostrich neck actually) and it wasn't too bad, as far as horse meat in the grocery stores here in Canada, its never been in any of the supermarkets here in the East Coast.
neck? oo doesn't sound to nice! wouldn't mind trying it though :D

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Tried a vension burger at the weekend. Also a wild hog sandwich, annnnd a water buffalo burger! The buffalo burger must of been the best meat i've ever tasted! Maybe i'm just saying that as i was really hungry at the time and pretty drunk but it was awesome! I love muisc festivals :D

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anyone tried eating crocodile?

?
yeah ate it on vacation back in 2003 in the islands of South Carolina(Beaufort area) didn't like it so much. Kind of taste like chicken only a different element of taste

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
Buffalo burgers are good, as are Elk burgers.
Bucher shop near me sells them for lunch.

I give the nod to the elk though.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Buffalo burgers are good, as are Elk burgers.
Bucher shop near me sells them for lunch.

I give the nod to the elk though.
I'm away to buy some venison burgers after my workout. Think it would be pretty hard to get elk burgers over here in Scotland :( They taste pretty much like Buffalo?

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
I'm away to buy some venison burgers after my workout. Think it would be pretty hard to get elk burgers over here in Scotland :( They taste pretty much like Buffalo?
The buffalo was a lot like beef, but with somewhat of a slight metallic taste to it. Only way i can think of to describe it. Youd pretty much think it was beef with a special seasoning if no one told you what it was.

I liked the elk better than the buffalo, personally. slightly more flavorfull. I liked it as much, if not more than a good beef burger.

The taste on either one, is really very close to beef, but with different "accents," if that makes sense. I had them all as burgers, with ketchup, mayo and mustard on them, so I didnt get 100% pure flavor, if anyone is counting. good though. if the price was less than beef(it isint) id eat either one instead.

dommer

Banned
Awards
ive had kangaroo and it was amazing try that if you get a chance

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
ive had kangaroo and it was amazing try that if you get a chance
I had some in a bar a few years ago, it was pretty nice. Didn't get much on the plate. It did taste good, not to chewy. It went down pretty well!