Does hunger explicitly mean that the body needs food?

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I'm really hungry right now. Odd thing is at about 3pm I had a 1400 calorie chipotle burrito. 945pm I had big rice/chili bowl (probably 700-1000kcals). Had 2 apples between the meals.

What gives?

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
maybe your pregnant ;) I would try drinking more water, alot of times for me when i think im hungry it means im dehydrated.

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
Watch what you eat. If you have 1400 useless calories, in say for example, a chipotle burrito, then yah you'll definitely be hungry sooner than later. If you have a 9oz chicken breast, a cup of brown rice and a fibrous vegetable, then you'll probably find it goes much further.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Watch what you eat. If you have 1400 useless calories, in say for example, a chipotle burrito, then yah you'll definitely be hungry sooner than later. If you have a 9oz chicken breast, a cup of brown rice and a fibrous vegetable, then you'll probably find it goes much further.

Are you trying to tell me that chipotle isn't nutritious?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
chipotle itself isn't bad, it's simply a dressing made with smoked & dried jalapenos and cream. Wouldn't use it on a strict cutting diet, but otherwise in a bean or chicken burrito wrapped in whole wheat it's great in moderation. I've also experienced strong hunger sensations soon after a big meal, and I speculate 3 things:
1. since the body can draw moisture from food when you're not drinking enough water, if you let yourself dehydrate often enough, hunger/thirst sensations become confused.
2. the meal had too many 'empty' calories and your body still wants nutrition.
3. (and this one is pure speculation) Maybe the stomach becomes temporarily enlarged due to the uncommonly large meal, so if your metabolism speed is greater than the speed at which the stomach can shrink back to a normal size, you feel empty and hungry.

P.S. If you like chipotle and sour cream together, maybe you can try adding the dried pepper to fat free sour cream in a skillet over verylow heat and let the two ingredients 'marry', as the culinary experts like to put it? that way you could have your chipotle flavor and your sour cream as one condiment without the fat. If you try it,letme know.

rick055

Awards
  • Established
I think there's probably an insulin factor to this, too.

When you eat large or high glycemic index meals, you can get an insulin surge/crash, leaving you feeling hypoglycemic and wanting to binge.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I think it's also caused by a lack of CCK which helps regulate satiety. I do fine with broccoli and chicken or lean beef. You can eat tons of broccoli without accumulating tons of calories.

rick055

Awards
  • Established
I think it's also caused by a lack of CCK which helps regulate satiety. I do fine with broccoli and chicken or lean beef. You can eat tons of broccoli without accumulating tons of calories.

CCK is?