high protein snack suggestions in a hurry

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I've been in a hotel this past week,
so not meeting my protein requirements. GF's about to hit the grocery store with her mother, and I know if I simply ask for 'healthy' snacks I'm going to get low fat, low carb garbage that's marketed as 'healthy'. Can anyone give me suggestions that require no fridge or cooking, with a high protein content? So far all I can think of are:
Tuna pouches (can't bring myself to eat more than a few a week)
light/no salt nuts
beef jerky

I brought some protein powder but not a lot and I need to stretch it.

Bottom line for me is protein, of course I'd like them to be as healthy and balanced as possible, but given the circumstances high protein is my main priority followed by low sodium preferences (bloating issues on cycle)

mindgame

mindgame

Awards
  • Established
grocery stores should have some type of protien bars. But slim jims and what you put down are good snacks. umm...thats all i can think of right now

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
Beef Jerky is one of my favorite emergency proteins (make sure to read the label, some brands have a ton of fat). But lately things have been getting crazy busy, so I keep Zero Impact and MHP Probolic-SR bars lying around for a quick grab and go.

But Slim Jims are overly processed and have a HUGE amount of fat and even some sugars, not to mention being made of the parts of a cow that you would not want to know about... I'd go with straight beef jerky if possible.

I take in 1.5-2 gal of water a day and sweat a good bit of it out (thanks Recreate... lol), so the extra salt is welcome.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I misguessed what kind of food I would have access to on a 1-week vacation in May, and ended up eating almost 2 cans of wild pacific salmon a day for almost 6 days. Needless to say I haven't touched canned wild salmon again yet ;)

If you don't mind, maybe try rotating in canned salmon/tuna/chicken?

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
i would definitely look into jerky and canned meats as well. Easy stuff to keep around with no prep required

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Beef Jerky is one of my favorite emergency proteins (make sure to read the label, some brands have a ton of fat). But lately things have been getting crazy busy, so I keep Zero Impact and MHP Probolic-SR bars lying around for a quick grab and go.

But Slim Jims are overly processed and have a HUGE amount of fat and even some sugars, not to mention being made of the parts of a cow that you would not want to know about... I'd go with straight beef jerky if possible.

I take in 1.5-2 gal of water a day and sweat a good bit of it out (thanks Recreate... lol), so the extra salt is welcome.

What's wrong with fat?

BifWebster

Awards
What's wrong with fat?
well in slim jims and some beef jerky the fat content is greater than the protein and this thread is about PROTEIN snacks, so the majority of the calories should be from protein or at least cleans, i gotta feeling the fats in slim jims arent the good fats probably saturated and maybe trans fats, havent snapped into a slim jim for a while though so maybe things have changed

walugi

walugi

Awards
How much does beef jerky cost for you americans? It's pretty expensive here in Oz, and not fibrous enough for my liking

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
if you are not low carbin' it go for the fat free canned ravioli! and deli turkey, small cottage cheese, low fat yogurt.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
Didn't the guy say he didn't have a fridge? I think he'd rather keep his mass on his arms, not out his arse :p
yeah he did...my bad. i'd just go to the store every few hours cause i couldn't eat the same **** for snacks all day...i'd kill myself!

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
What's wrong with fat?
Nothing wrong with fat, but the animal fats in Slim Jim and non-natural beef jerky are not appealing to me. I'd prefer to take in the more healthy nutty and fishy fats, personally.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
I've been in a hotel this past week,
so not meeting my protein requirements. GF's about to hit the grocery store with her mother, and I know if I simply ask for 'healthy' snacks I'm going to get low fat, low carb garbage that's marketed as 'healthy'. Can anyone give me suggestions that require no fridge or cooking, with a high protein content? So far all I can think of are:
Tuna pouches (can't bring myself to eat more than a few a week)
light/no salt nuts
beef jerky

I brought some protein powder but not a lot and I need to stretch it.

Bottom line for me is protein, of course I'd like them to be as healthy and balanced as possible, but given the circumstances high protein is my main priority followed by low sodium preferences (bloating issues on cycle)
If Na+ is an issue, scratch tuna and jerky. Both are loaded with Na+. Dairy and PB might be better choices for you.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
You could always try my balls------Protein Recovery Balls that is. :)

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
I pound almonds and cashews... Quite a bit of (good) fat, but decent protein as well. Beef Jerkey is the obvious choice though. Try going to a Costco and getting bulk. They have a great brand there that is peppered.

There are some great bars out there too. MetRx were my favorites - they have one with 30g protein and no carb, but they use alcohol sugars which give me some TOXIC smelling gas...

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Ostrim's are a great choice. Zero Impact bars are good as well if you must use a bar.

Roryzilla

Awards
The supermarkets around me all carry protein powder.