die a betus

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.71%

die a betus

I am getting sick ,and tired of seeing my father eat so stuipidly. my mother has brought it to my attention that when he comes home from work all he dose is sit in his chair and watch t.v. when i ask him about it he pretty much just says thats what he feels like doing. he has diabetes and high bp and low test( was put on trt androgel but he dosent use it). my question is he said if i would tell him what to eat he will try and change his diet ,but i am at a loss i dont know what restrictions he has because i am uninformed about his disease. would an atkins style diet (low carb) be his best bet or do i need to try something else. he is on insulin and he checks his bloodsugar regularly so we could keep an eye on his health. any info would be appreciated thanks. also i can get my brother to walk him at least three times a week this would be a family effort. but the diet is on me.

2. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.95%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 12STEP View Post
    I am getting sick ,and tired of seeing my father eat so stuipidly. my mother has brought it to my attention that when he comes home from work all he dose is sit in his chair and watch t.v. when i ask him about it he pretty much just says thats what he feels like doing. he has diabetes and high bp and low test( was put on trt androgel but he dosent use it). my question is he said if i would tell him what to eat he will try and change his diet ,but i am at a loss i dont know what restrictions he has because i am uninformed about his disease. would an atkins style diet (low carb) be his best bet or do i need to try something else. he is on insulin and he checks his bloodsugar regularly so we could keep an eye on his health. any info would be appreciated thanks. also i can get my brother to walk him at least three times a week this would be a family effort. but the diet is on me.
    actually there is a guy on here who has I believe type II and is doing his best to fight it.

His AM username is : Ronnie

you may want to message him and find out in reguards to things you can eat. I myself am not too sure and although I would like to help, Its best to not say anything.

Also your father is the one who NEEDS to have motivation to eat properly and lift. It is only until he sees the need will he truely change.

Would I go through all that trouble just for someone else?

HELL NO!?

but it could work I guess but the only way I would say that you could get him to change his lifestyle long term is by making him realize he's going down a very slow and deadly path and that you care for him and want to see him change.

You may want to talk to ronnie and then go and show your father this link

My Transform Pics

It's our good buddy bradspencer. Going from a heavy 300 almost 400 pound guy in the most undesireable condition anyone wants to be in to a fit person who now has a new chance at life and different opportunities that have opened up to him because of it.

Maybe if your father just thinks that he cant do it, maybe just SHOWING him that others out there are STRUGGLING and doing their best to change, may he want to try a lifestyle change. The first step however is making him realize that HE needs a change.
    Once he does that and gets into routine, the rest will just fall into place. Lifting brings such an adrenaline rush. It's the best after work pick up me in my opinion, to let go of anger and to just tear the weights apart.

Good luck man, I hope I could do my part to help you! And remember to show him your dad or make an attempt to show him what he's heading down the road for. Show him that people out there do wish for change and if THEY can do it then HE can too with hard work!
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.87%

I am a type one diabetic and have been on insulin for over 20 years.

Training with diabetes can be tough and your father will not react the same as another diabetic. In other words the following diet is some general information.

If you have more direct questions I would be happy to help.

Atkins style no carb diets will do wonders for his blood sugar. I cut my insulin usage down to a fifth of my normal usage while on such a plan. Two concerns- they can be tough to do long term and low blood sugar.

Low Carb/modified carb such as South Beach, Clean Eating, or 6 Week Ab diet are a bit of a better choice. These diets allow carbs (less then a typical American diet) and they are modified to whole grains instead of white. Whole grains have a lower impact on blood sugar and cause a less pronounced insulin spike.

If he is not interested in formal diets you can simply have him switch white carbs (noodles, breads, crackers) to whole wheat and move the consumption of carbs earlier in the day.

If he is coming home in the evening tired and just wants to eat it may indicate high blood sugars. When you blood sugars are high your body is not being fed the proper nutrients. Basically the food you have eaten is floating around in your blood and not feeding your cells. This causes your brain to send "Feed Me" messages and creates hunger which in turn, causes your blood sugar to go higher. Typically you will see increased hunger, increased thirst, increased urination, strong hunger, and excessive tiredness.

Hope some of this helps.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.68%

Diabetes typically becomes more manageable when the daily carbohydrate is around 20%.

Vigilant training can completely restore insulin sensitivity in some type II diabetics.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.75%

I'm 45 with Type 2 and low T.

1) No flour. FoodForLife and Trader Joe's make flourless bread. Dreamfields makes pasta with a GI of 13 (virtually no impact on blood sugar).

2) No refined sugar. Whole fruit generally okay. Fruit juice is not.

3) Rub the damn Androgel on his shoulders for him every morning.

Good luck.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.71%

hey fat boy the andro gell worked for you i dont think he gave it a long enough try
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.75%

hey fat boy the andro gell worked for you i dont think he gave it a long enough try
    Yeah, it's working for me. Took a few weeks to kick in. Low T and diabetes/metabolic syndrome go hand in hand. Make sure your dad takes it. A couple of weeks and he won't be able to just sit on the couch and watch TV. Gotta go ... where the hell did I leave those 75lb dumbbells anyway.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.71%

cool i wanted to start him out walking then get him in the gym. nothing to heavy his back is kinda touchy but just get him started. i told my mom to nag him about the androgel and to make sure he takes it. you think he could maybe stack 6oxo with that give him a little extra boost because that stuff dose aromatize right.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.75%

you think he could maybe stack 6oxo with that give him a little extra boost because that stuff dose aromatize right.
    Hell no. Leave that **** alone. Might be fine for bodybuilding folks, but not something diabetics (or even normal blokes for that matter) should be taking.

Wait until he gets lab work done to see if he has a problem with high estrogen. If he does his doctor should give him a proper AI (like Arimidex) and monitor him for side effects. I haven't had a problem with high estrogen with the Androgel.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.71%

ok well i was just curious