Quinoa say what????

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Ok thought I would post up some info on my beloved friend Quinoa. Most are probably like what the hell is quinoa. Well it's natures little gift to us in a small grain with about 2x's the amount of protein per serving then milk. I've been playing around with this and I have to say I really enjoy the taste and there are a ton of recipes out there for using it with other foods. Anyway I copy and pasted a little info that will explain what it is a little better. If you want more info google it and there is a ton of it.

"The quinoa seed is high in protein, calcium and iron, a relatively good source of vitamin E and several of the B vitamins. It contains an almost perfect balance of all eight essential amino acids needed for tissue development in humans. It is exceptionally high in lysine, cystine and methionine-amino acids typically low in other grains. It is a good complement for legumes, which are often low in methionine and cystine. The protein in quinoa is considered to be a complete protein due to the presence of all 8 essential amino acids. Some types of wheat come close to matching quinoa's protein content, but grains such as barley, corn, and rice generally have less than half the protein of quinoa. Quinoa is 12% to 18% protein and four ounces a day, about 1/2-cup, will provide a childs protein needs for one day. The 6-7% fat of quinoa is relatively high when compared to other grains, but it boasts a low sodium content and also provides valuable starch and fiber. Quinoa also contains albumen, a protein that is found in egg whites, blood serum, and many plant and animal tissues. The seeds are gluten-free which makes this a nutritious and flavorful alternative grain for those with gluten sensitivity. Quinoa would be a worthy addition to anyone's diet, supplying variety as well as good nutrition. The seed is also excellent feed for birds and poultry and the plant itself is good forage for cattle."

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What is the best way to prep this? I have tried several ways and, each time, it has come out unpalatable.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
What is the best way to prep this? I have tried several ways and, each time, it has come out unpalatable.
Yea mine comes out like crap! As well! Every time....:aargh:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I find that making it in a rice maker and tossing a packet of goya sazon in with it works pretty well.

justing

Awards
ive looked for this stuff in like 3 differnt stores, i can never find it

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Quinoa is good stuff. I just boil it up like rice, awesome substitute for when brown rice gets boring.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Yeah that's kind of the way I use it. I'll make it then mix it with some spices and ground turkey. It's packed with protein so I don't need to eat tons and tons of it to hit my mark for protein. On the flipside it's great for bulking because it's an easy way to load up the protein and cals if you want to.

I get my at a local health food/organic store. Whole foods probably has it if you have one near you.

tattoopierced1

i cook mine like rice after soaking it for about 20 minutes.. add some salsa to it and it tastes great.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
i love quinoa. the brand i've been getting is called inca red.

porkhide

Awards
heat them in a pan till they pop like popcorn
and make like risoto or porrage
could add some middle eastern / Indian spices and make couscous
mix with wild rice throw an egg on top

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
gringo that married in ;) but had a taste for it beforehand. florida is close to the carribean, so a lot of carribean culture here
yeah I'm in the same situation, my girlfriend is venezuelan and we live here in jupiter, fl.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my wife was born and raised in puerto rico, came to florida when she was 14 I think it was