Extra Calories

nd22121

Awards
ok so i am following a cutting diet which basically has you eating mostly protein and god fats, along with vegtables as your carb source. instead of cutting with this, i am trying to add some lean mass, by using the books 3500-4000 calorie plan they have set up. for some reason right now its hard for me to get that many calories without eating carbs, so i was wondering if it would be okay to get my extra calories from natural peanut butter, since that is loaded with calories?

nd22121

Awards
well apparently this book has your body trying to use fat as its fuel source so it burns off the fat during the cut. every 21st meal is a large carb meal, which equates to about every 3 days, if you eat 7 times a day. i dont know if what i want to do is going to work, because it is a cutting diet.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
You're contradicting yourself in your posts. Are you trying to cut or add LBM?

nd22121

Awards
i was trying to add LBM, but doing it with this diet that is supposed to be for a cut, only i was upping the calories thinking that it might work that way. my logic must be flawed?...
i guess i should just do it the traditional way, huh?

sorry about the confusion

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
i was trying to add LBM, but doing it with this diet that is supposed to be for a cut, only i was upping the calories thinking that it might work that way. my logic must be flawed?...
i guess i should just do it the traditional way, huh?

sorry about the confusion
Not flawed logic, but your macros depend on your phenotype and the same thing does not apply for everyone. A moderate increase of 200-300 kcals/day will add LBM and also help you to lose a little BF as well (aka recomp).

nd22121

Awards
ok, so as long as i eat good carbs, like oatmeal, 100% whole wheat products, i can still add lean mass and reduce fat (somewhat, cause i know both cant be done at the same time in equal amounts)?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
ok, so as long as i eat good carbs, like oatmeal, 100% whole wheat products, i can still add lean mass and reduce fat (somewhat, cause i know both cant be done at the same time in equal amounts)?
Carbs are not the devil when it comes to fat loss. Adjusted accordingly to your phenotype like Rodja pointed out is what will make the difference (after you have setup the most important factor ~ overall calorie intake).

Your total caloric intake will dictate what your body is more primed for (fat loss or lbm gain).