Camping, HELP!!!

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Camping, HELP!!!

So I'm going camping next weekend for memorial weekend, and never thought about this, what do I take for food, to keep my diet in check, HELP!!

2. Registered User
    Answers

Don't worry about it!. Have some fun and RELAX!.
  3. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Don't worry about it!. Have some fun and RELAX!.
    Word. A little caloric surplus never hurts.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Answers

You guys sure, I had never thought about it, then it's like damn, going caming is going to throw a wrech in my system! Would like to just chill and relax, but dont want to loose all my hard work, and bear with me I'm fairly new with this lifestyle.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

You're not going to notice anything for a few days of bad eating. What I do is just eat as much eggs and meat as you can and try and bring oats or some clean carbs so you don't have to eat sugary stuff.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  258 lbs.
    Answers

Beef jerky, mixed nuts, fruit, lots of water, black coffee, green tea, canned tuna, mixed beans, sliced veggies...

Put some servings of protein powder in a ziplock and bring a shaker bottle. Add greens powder, creatine, whatever won't spoil.

If you're bringing a cooler, put some pre-cooked chicken breasts, fruit, cottage cheese and plain yogurt in there.
  7. PES Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Answers

bring some beef jerky along and alway keep that bag near you so you can munch on it all day....

I guess that was mentioned above... in fact I like all of those options... you'll never go hungry with that list
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Hey thanks guys!
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

3 days of overeating will have minimal impact on your physique. It may actually end up helping as studies have shown that caloric spikes help with Test, GH, IGF, and leptin levels.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Take a .22 with ya... Squirrels (tree rats) make great eats! High in protien. You can scramble thier brains in with eggs for breakfast. MMMm MMmm!!!
  11. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DormantFiber View Post
    bring some beef jerky along and alway keep that bag near you so you can munch on it all day....

I guess that was mentioned above... in fact I like all of those options... you'll never go hungry with that list

Don't keep it near you if there's bears around lol.
    No but seriously, if you're that serious about keeping the diet in check than any kind of trail mix, protein bars, maybe make your shakes in advanced and keep them in the cooler. Get a portable grill, or make a fire and cook up some lean burgers. Most importantly, have fun, enjoy the company, the scenery and mother nature.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

Im with the dont worry about it group. Camping is supposed to be fun, not trying to count cals and macros. Meat and potatoes, grilled fish, pb&j sandwiches, eggs and bacon... And last and maybe most important, beer. Thats my kind of camping.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Camping is very much meant to be a fun experience. I wouldn't worry about the extra calories for a few days. Live it up and have fun!

I agree that beer is all part of the experience.

Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

Plus if youre that worried about it, you can always take a 2 or 3 hour hike. Sweet!
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Maverick you got that right, beer! I haven't drank in like 8 weeks, this otta be funny, i'll look like a lil school boy all over again!
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  258 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    3 days of overeating will have minimal impact on your physique. It may actually end up helping as studies have shown that caloric spikes help with Test, GH, IGF, and leptin levels.

True enough. On the other hand, three days of shovelling crap down your gullet can ruin weeks or even months of hard work.

For sure, camping is a time to relax and have fun... but with a small amount of planning and prep you can relax and have fun (and even bump up your calories) while still eating pretty clean. If you cut up some veggies and bring them with you it might keep you from eating a whole bag of Doritos. Clean protein on the grill is both delicious and healthy.

I'd agree that you can get away with not counting calories and micro-nutrient ratios for a few days... but you can't really get away with gorging on chips and ice cream for a whole weekend.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  203 lbs.
    Answers

I agree that camping is to have fun and relax, but part of the fun for me is that it's also a great opportunity to eat tons of bbq!! I always bring a small portable grill and a ton of meat with me when I go camping. Your macros might be off, but at least you'll be getting enough protein.
  18. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by idrog View Post
    True enough. On the other hand, three days of shovelling crap down your gullet can ruin weeks or even months of hard work.

For sure, camping is a time to relax and have fun... but with a small amount of planning and prep you can relax and have fun (and even bump up your calories) while still eating pretty clean. If you cut up some veggies and bring them with you it might keep you from eating a whole bag of Doritos. Clean protein on the grill is both delicious and healthy.

I'd agree that you can get away with not counting calories and micro-nutrient ratios for a few days... but you can't really get away with gorging on chips and ice cream for a whole weekend.
    I completely disagree. It is not physiologically possible to lose and/or gain that much mass in a weekend (short of not eating). Even if he eats 10,000 kcals over maintenance, then he will have gained only 2-3 lbs of excess adipose, if that. Within 4 days of training and his usual diet, he will be back to normal and, possibly, in even better shape.

There are diets derived from excessive caloric intakes for 2-3 weeks and the most that is gained is 5-6 lbs. In other words, he will be fine and should not worry about keeping a normal clean diet while camping.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

beer+pork ribs= carbs, fats, proteins. any questions?
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Ya I'm going to the store tonight and picking up one of the portable grills! Another thing I was thinking about, and these are great, dont remember exacltyl how you make them but it's like, broccli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, any veggies you want with garlic powder, and polish sasuage chopped up, I think they call them hobo dinners. You wrap it all up in tin foil, and throw it in the fire, uuuummmm
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  258 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I completely disagree.
    Really? Completely? You don't think that grilling clean protein is delicious and healthy? You don't see any benefit to continuing to eat clean?

Maybe it's an issue for me because I cheat too often and I know that I personally need to be more disciplined... but I'm honestly surprised that so many people are advising mathis to just break his diet.

If you can really drop 2-3 pounds of fat with just four days of typical training and eating, Rodja, I can see why it doesn't seem like an issue to you. I wish my body responded so well!

It's easy to rationalize unhealthy eating (I'm going camping... it's a party... I had a big workout, so I can just assimilate this entire buffet...) but I sincerely believe that it's healthier and more productive in the long run to keep your diet under reasonable control even when you've got a great excuse for pigging out.

Edit: That hobo dinner sounds like a pretty tasty compromise...
  22. Registered User
    Answers

You can't physically gain enough fat in 2-3 days to make any problem for yourself. You might get set back by gaining enough fat that it could take a week to get back but if you're not stuffing your face with tons of junk then you won't notice anything. I went away for 3 days for a job interview and ate some turkey philly whatever sandwich thing and some not so good food and when I got back I hadn't budged a pound up or down.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Answers

I think I'll take all of your guys advise on this one! Honestly I dont think I could live with myself if I was to go out and pig out on Doritos, and white hotdog buns, and hotdogs! With all the imput and idea I think it will be pretty simple! May not get my usual intake, but will be about as clean, the beer will add a couple extra calorie! Actually I'm a vodka drinker, well use to be, and would like to drink that over beer, are there any advantages, or disadvatages??
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. camping with the fam
    By bi0hazurd in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 11:21 PM
  2. GHRP-6 and camping conditions
    By samadhismiles in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 10:51 AM