Rice Syrup Solids

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
So I am going to the home brewing store to pick up some dextrose soon, and when I was checking their prices I noticed they had rice syrup solids. Does anyone have any clue how effective this stuff would be at replacing dextrose. I know rice is better tolerated for most, and that rice syrup is made from the starches that leak out of rice while cooking. Any input on to whether this would be a good product or not is appreciated.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Brown rice syrup is a sweetener derived by culturing cooked rice with enzymes (usually from dried barley sprouts) to break down the starches, then straining off the liquid and cooking it until the desired consistency is reached. The final product is roughly 50% soluble complex carbohydrates, 45% maltose, and 3% glucose. The glucose is absorbed into the bloodstream immediately, while the maltose takes up to one and a half hours to be digested (see glycemic index), and the complex carbohydrates take from two to three hours, providing a steady supply of energy. Rice syrup has a shelf life of about a year, and once opened, should be stored in a cool, dry place.

- Wikipedia

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
See I have found information like that as well, but I also have seen True Proteins new product, brown rice carbs, which are comparable to dextrose. I guess my best bet is to give it try.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
See I have found information like that as well, but I also have seen True Proteins new product, brown rice carbs, which are comparable to dextrose. I guess my best bet is to give it try.
Well that is kinda strange. Hmm, I like your idea man. Guess you'll have to just give it a shot.

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried TP's stuff? It says it can replace sugar but I don't get why it would be sweet in the first place. It has 0g sugar and they say it's low glycemic.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
They got a false writeup from the manufacturers, it is not low glycemic and it can be used as a replacement for dextrose according to some of the guys on their forum.