Psychological and Societal effects of maintaining nutrition over health... in brief

nrwillia

Awards
Nutrition, a concept strictly psychological, is often described as healthy choices or personal decisions to maintain a diet. On the other hand after years of following nutrition guidelines one can find that nutrition itself is a psychological and personal decision that can ultimately get out of control in the hands of a said expert on nutrition. In the case of personal preference, we generally choose our path of nutrition in childhood and eventually rely on childhood to bring the effects of our course. At the same cost we are attempting to regain childhood in the process, which is psychologically possible if one applies the act of personal control, but possibly a danger to one's role in society. In all attempts the bodybuilder is regarded as being psychologically dangerous for many reasons, but many facts are not presented and hearsay is the general effect of the quorum. In all, the subject becomes a two sided argument, and it takes a fighter to ultimately overcome the dualities of personal path and society duplicating a decision to accept or detract from the subject of health/nutrition.

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
I'm gonna go ahead and bite - what on earth are you talking about? That sounds like it was plagiarized from somewhere.

nrwillia

Awards
I'm just flexing my conversation muscle. The subject was on my mind, given the title of the forum, nutrition/health; and I decided to write a thread. Sorry for forcing you to, "bite," but it is strictly a conversational post.

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
Bodybuilders are only one of many groups which deviate from recommendations made by "the experts." Look at all the obese people in the country. What the hell do personal nutritional preferences have to do with endangering societal roles? Your little excerpt makes it seem like this nutritional dilemma is the biggest obstacle ever faced by a bodybuilder. I eat what I want when I want, and I don't worry about being chastised by some fantastic nutrition police.

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
As soon as you find yourself on the BMI chart, you realize how wrong those "standards" are. I am "moderately overweight" according to the chart. Tell that to my wife.

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
As soon as you find yourself on the BMI chart, you realize how wrong those "standards" are. I am "moderately overweight" according to the chart. Tell that to my wife.
No kiddin. That chart doesn't take muscle mass into consideration at all. It's pretty much useless.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Someone direct Mullet to this thread.

Too many words for me in the OP's post.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
Nutrition, a concept strictly psychological

Main Entry:
Pronunciation:
\nu̇-ˈtri-shən, nyu̇-\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English nutricioun, from Late Latin nutrition-, nutritio, from Latin nutrire
Date:
15th century

1: the act or process of nourishing or being nourished; specifically : the sum of the processes by which an animal or plant takes in and utilizes food substances

well, there's nutrition as currently defined in the english language. I don't believe it's a purely psychological concept,
or it would have much less of an impact in the medical fields. I'd like to use the scenario of dr. prescribed diets to combat high cholesterol in the elderly population as an example here. There's nothing psychological about that. Perhaps you need to rephrase that statement, but it does seem as if you're dismissing nutrition as completely psychological. Even in biblical times the benefits of
mindful eating were well known. Here's an example from someone else, as I am not a Christian or Bible scholar:
Health God's Way: Biblical Nutrition (by Jeremy Likness)

On the other hand after years of following nutrition guidelines one can find that nutrition itself is a psychological and personal decision that can ultimately get out of control in the hands of a said expert on nutrition.
This I think we can all agree on, while the fitness communities, supplement companies, gov't agencies (such as the FDA), medical experts, etc, etc have all made great progress over the years, there's still plenty of misinformation, unhealthy practices,
ignored health warnings, bunk product, faulty self treatment attempts for self misdiagnoses, outright fraud, etc, etc by people who often mistakenly believe or deliberately present themselves to be experts when they in fact are not.

In the case of personal preference, we generally choose our path of nutrition in childhood and eventually rely on childhood to bring the effects of our course.
what? As a kid I ate what my mother set on the table,
I don't know how many kids under the age of 10 get to do their own grocery shopping or plan their own restaurant outings, but I sure wasn't one of them. I don't understand the 'relying on childhood to bring about the effects of our course' part. If you mean that we somehow rely on our childhood experiences to somehow manifest the outcomes of our nutrition choices, I don't know how that would be possible, or even make any sense. Can you rephrase?

At the same cost we are attempting to regain childhood in the process, which is psychologically possible if one applies the act of personal control, but possibly a danger to one's role in society.
Cost? what cost? We're attempting to regain childhood in the process of what exactly? I do agree that self control is needed in order to appear socially acceptable in any attempt to relive childhood as an adult, michael jackson, his ranch, and his obsession with children (not discussing any sex crime allegations here, just his general fixation on childhood and children) is a prime example of this. Even without such a strong example as mentioned, I think the term 'mid life crisis' would be less well known if it weren't rather common for people to act outside of social norms or common sense in their quests to recapture youth.
In all attempts the bodybuilder is regarded as being psychologically dangerous for many reasons, but many facts are not presented and hearsay is the general effect of the quorum.
As bodybuilders, I do think many of us take up the hobby as an attempt to preserve or reclaim lost youth, but for every reckless
moron that'll try any diet or supplement without a second thought that promises to give pleasing results, there's a conservative that chooses nothing but moderate exercise and a diet void of any supplements outside of protein powder. The thing here is, only the reckless extremists seem to get major attention. The conservative afterall, wouldn't be looking for any, even among his bodybuilding peers.

In all, the subject becomes a two sided argument, and it takes a fighter to ultimately overcome the dualities of personal path and society duplicating a decision to accept or detract from the subject of health/nutrition.
[/QUOTE]

Argument for what, the idea that nutrition is purely psychological? I'd just have to take you back to the beginning of this reply, in which by definition, it is shown not to be.