Bloating

  1. Board Supporter
    nevergoodenough's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    386
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    5.35%

    Bloating


    I'm not sure if I'm allergic to dairy, casein, whey or something else, but I have a nasty bloat going on. I don't over do it on dairy, usually 1 piece of 2% cheese at breakfast, and cottage cheese at night. I've cut skim milk out this week to see how I do. Im lean (probably 8-9% bf) but sometimes my stomach sticks way out like I'm f-ing pregnant, and it is pretty uncomfortable. Is there anything I can take to get rid of this. I've been looking into RPN gut health, or trying some lactaid tablets or something. Any suggesstions or success stories?

  2. New Member
    dadream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    341
    Rep Power
    277
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    32.25%

    What does your fiber intake look like? Do you have regular BM's? It could be food allergens but i would start with slowly increasing your fiber intake, try metamucil or similar pysillium fiber product. Remeber to drink a lot of water when increasing fiber intake. Give it a try for 2 weeks and then see if it helps, usually these problems aren't cured overnight as they tend to take time. Gas is a result of foods not being properly broken down, and sitting in the gut too long, so the fiber may help push everything out quicker. Also may want to look into probiotics. Gut health is a good product but yogurt is also a great (and cheaper) alternative. Try these out for a few weeks and if no improvements it might be time to see a gastro dr. to see if it is something serious.
  3. Board Supporter
    nevergoodenough's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    386
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    5.35%

    Quote Originally Posted by dadream View Post
    What does your fiber intake look like? Do you have regular BM's? It could be food allergens but i would start with slowly increasing your fiber intake, try metamucil or similar pysillium fiber product. Remeber to drink a lot of water when increasing fiber intake. Give it a try for 2 weeks and then see if it helps, usually these problems aren't cured overnight as they tend to take time. Gas is a result of foods not being properly broken down, and sitting in the gut too long, so the fiber may help push everything out quicker. Also may want to look into probiotics. Gut health is a good product but yogurt is also a great (and cheaper) alternative. Try these out for a few weeks and if no improvements it might be time to see a gastro dr. to see if it is something serious.
    I eat a lot of grains (oats, rice) ezekiel bread, beans etc. I'm not as regular with my vegetables, I try to eat atleast a cup of broccli a day but it doesn't always happen. I'll pick up a fiber product to help supplement. I was going to go the yogurt route but thought that if it was dairy that was causing me the problem yogurt might add to it. But I am no expert. Thanks for the help!!
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    sreed11's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    256
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    28.55%

    The same thing had happened to me and still does but not as bad. i know one thing that contributed to it was an anterior pelvic tilt. I have tight hipflexors so they would pull on my pelvis which drop it inwards, poking my butt outwards, both are not very noticeable but then it would cause my stomach to stick out even more. weird stuff. So what helped me was stretching.
  5. Elite Member
    Force of Green's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,531
    Rep Power
    149922
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    29.94%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    If you're allergic to something, it will still bloat you even if you have a mild/moderate amount. Like as far as dairy, you say you don't know if you're allergic or not, but you think it's all good because you only have a few servings per day... If you were allergic to bee venom, it wouldn't be cool if you just had a few friendly bees stinging you per day. You'd still have a reaction.
    Freedom means nothing here.
  6. New Member
    sreed11's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    256
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    28.55%

    touche. good analogy FOG
  7. Elite Member
    Force of Green's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,531
    Rep Power
    149922
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    29.94%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by sreed11 View Post
    touche. good analogy FOG
    Thanks Sreed11.
    Freedom means nothing here.
  8. Board Supporter
    nevergoodenough's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    386
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    5.35%

    Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    If you're allergic to something, it will still bloat you even if you have a mild/moderate amount. Like as far as dairy, you say you don't know if you're allergic or not, but you think it's all good because you only have a few servings per day... If you were allergic to bee venom, it wouldn't be cool if you just had a few friendly bees stinging you per day. You'd still have a reaction.
    Relax there hoss, I'm just looking for some tips. I've decreased my intake to see if I notice a difference when consuming dairy or not. If I notice a considerable difference then I plan on eliminating.
  9. Elite Member
    Force of Green's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,531
    Rep Power
    149922
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    29.94%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by nevergoodenough View Post
    Relax there hoss, I'm just looking for some tips. I've decreased my intake to see if I notice a difference when consuming dairy or not. If I notice a considerable difference then I plan on eliminating.
    Don't tell me to relax! I'll send a swarm of bees over to your house.
    Freedom means nothing here.
  10. Diamond Member
    Trauma1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    15,425
    Rep Power
    57340
    Level
    72
    Lv. Percent
    77.5%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    Don't tell me to relax! I'll send a swarm of bees over to your house.
    Killa beez? haha

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

  11. Elite Member
    Force of Green's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,531
    Rep Power
    149922
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    29.94%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Trauma1 View Post
    Killa beez? haha
    You know this
    Freedom means nothing here.
  12. Diamond Member
    Trauma1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    15,425
    Rep Power
    57340
    Level
    72
    Lv. Percent
    77.5%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by dadream View Post
    What does your fiber intake look like? Do you have regular BM's? It could be food allergens but i would start with slowly increasing your fiber intake, try metamucil or similar pysillium fiber product. Remeber to drink a lot of water when increasing fiber intake. Give it a try for 2 weeks and then see if it helps, usually these problems aren't cured overnight as they tend to take time. Gas is a result of foods not being properly broken down, and sitting in the gut too long, so the fiber may help push everything out quicker. Also may want to look into probiotics. Gut health is a good product but yogurt is also a great (and cheaper) alternative. Try these out for a few weeks and if no improvements it might be time to see a gastro dr. to see if it is something serious.
    Well stated. When gastric transit time is increased, certain types of pathogenic bacteria are responsible for attributing to the increased gas accumualtion. This is mainly the result of byproduct from the bacteria's action on undigested food. So essentially, it's often the result of poor overall food/nutrient digestion and increased gastric transit time. This is often due to an unbalanced intestinal bacterial flora. Restoring a balance through probiotic bacteria can greatly reduce these symptoms and provide a more regular bowel movement pattern.

    I agree that probiotics certainly help control many of these issues. They accomplish this mainly by restoring a balanced bacteria flora through competitive exclusion of the pathogenic bacteria. This enables for a more thorough digestion and absorbtion of nutrients. While i agree that yogurt is good, the probiotics inside(mainly of the lacto bacillus family) as destroyed by gastric acid in transit to their intestinal destination.

    Gut Health utilizes a specific probiotic strain(Lacto Bacillus Casei Ke-99) for many reasons. Our probiotic formula is enteric coated which allows this beneficial probiotic bacteria to reach the small intestine intact in which it can then attach and begin to colonize. It's only after this colonization is successful that the benefits of the probiotic bacteria can truly be utilized effectively.

    Very good suggestions with increasing fiber and H20 intake. Adding in a great probiotic formula like Gut Health can only provide enhanced benefits overall in helping to control symptoms of these type of issues.

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

  13. Board Supporter
    nevergoodenough's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    386
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    5.35%

    Quote Originally Posted by Trauma1 View Post
    Well stated. When gastric transit time is increased, certain types of pathogenic bacteria are responsible for attributing to the increased gas accumualtion. This is mainly the result of byproduct from the bacteria's action on undigested food. So essentially, it's often the result of poor overall food/nutrient digestion and increased gastric transit time. This is often due to an unbalanced intestinal bacterial flora. Restoring a balance through probiotic bacteria can greatly reduce these symptoms and provide a more regular bowel movement pattern.

    I agree that probiotics certainly help control many of these issues. They accomplish this mainly by restoring a balanced bacteria flora through competitive exclusion of the pathogenic bacteria. This enables for a more thorough digestion and absorbtion of nutrients. While i agree that yogurt is good, the probiotics inside(mainly of the lacto bacillus family) as destroyed by gastric acid in transit to their intestinal destination.

    Gut Health utilizes a specific probiotic strain(Lacto Bacillus Casei Ke-99) for many reasons. Our probiotic formula is enteric coated which allows this beneficial probiotic bacteria to reach the small intestine intact in which it can then attach and begin to colonize. It's only after this colonization is successful that the benefits of the probiotic bacteria can truly be utilized effectively.

    Very good suggestions with increasing fiber and H20 intake. Adding in a great probiotic formula like Gut Health can only provide enhanced benefits overall in helping to control symptoms of these type of issues.
    I'm sold, I've been waiting to purchase it from NP until napalm is back in stock. Hopefully they'll hurry my gut is in need!
  14. Diamond Member
    Trauma1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    15,425
    Rep Power
    57340
    Level
    72
    Lv. Percent
    77.5%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by nevergoodenough View Post
    I'm sold, I've been waiting to purchase it from NP until napalm is back in stock. Hopefully they'll hurry my gut is in need!
    Great to hear!

    Make sure to give us your feedback also.

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

  15. Board Supporter
    nevergoodenough's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    535
    Rep Power
    386
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    5.35%

    Well I think I have confirmed my worst fear. I had a cheat meal of pizza that had lots of mozzerella. I feel bloated my nose is stuffed up and I've got a headache. So I'm pretty sure its not just lactose intolerance, its an actual allergy. I am going to eliminate dairy from my diet. As far as protein goes will whey and or casein continue to give me problems? I ordered some gut health today will that be able to combat it, or should I look into other powdered protein sources (egg white, hemp, gemma or goat)
  16. Diamond Member
    Trauma1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    15,425
    Rep Power
    57340
    Level
    72
    Lv. Percent
    77.5%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by nevergoodenough View Post
    Well I think I have confirmed my worst fear. I had a cheat meal of pizza that had lots of mozzerella. I feel bloated my nose is stuffed up and I've got a headache. So I'm pretty sure its not just lactose intolerance, its an actual allergy. I am going to eliminate dairy from my diet. As far as protein goes will whey and or casein continue to give me problems? I ordered some gut health today will that be able to combat it, or should I look into other powdered protein sources (egg white, hemp, gemma or goat)
    I'd cut the dairy products out for a bit and gauge your progress from there. You could very well just have a lactose intolerance issue. The symptoms you describe are fairly common complaints with the condition. A gluten allergy could be another possibility.

    True food allergies can come in varying degrees. Some will cause sudden onset of acute anaphylaxis with only the slightest ingestion, others can start mild and become increasingly worse as you body sensitizes to them(basically meaning it will become worse with each subsequent exposure). Either way, i'd avoid the dairy for a bit and see if these symptoms resolve themself. If they do, then you likely have your answer.

    If these symptoms continue, get in to see your primary medical doctor to have him assess the situation to provide further direction from that point.

    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

  17. Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,750
    Rep Power
    2154357
    Level
    75
    Lv. Percent
    17.98%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I had the same issue and what it turned out to be was a low amount of dairy and oatmeal + not enough fiber.

    I cut out milk all together (just soy) and now just have fat free cottage cheese before bed. I also make NOW digestive enzymes and GUThealth a part of every meal and day, respectivley. I also take ~6TBS of golden milled flax seed/day. It becomes a bit of a hassel at times but def out weighs the the discomfort.

    I was getting to the point where I was sooo bloated and uncomfortable I had to skip meals.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  18. New Member
    vetteman36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    102
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    64.02%

    Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    I had the same issue and what it turned out to be was a low amount of dairy and oatmeal + not enough fiber.

    I cut out milk all together (just soy) and now just have fat free cottage cheese before bed. I also make NOW digestive enzymes and GUThealth a part of every meal and day, respectivley. I also take ~6TBS of golden milled flax seed/day. It becomes a bit of a hassel at times but def out weighs the the discomfort.

    I was getting to the point where I was sooo bloated and uncomfortable I had to skip meals.



    Im glad im not the only one then, I have had the same problem on and off for a couple of months now. Will follow the advice here and see what happens. Did the gold mill flax seed make a big diffence for you???
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Help with bloating
    By boggs67ss in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-22-2008, 05:56 PM
  2. Bloating!
    By Chub in forum Bulking
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 04:52 PM
  3. Bloating On Trt?
    By jaydesiel4651 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 10:46 PM
  4. DCP and bloating
    By xcendo in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2007, 08:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in