is it ok to drink 1 day a week?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Yes. 1-2 days a week will hamper you gains tremendously (beyond belief if your waking up with a hangover every time). Reduced protein synthesis and dehydration at the top of the list (a long list) as to why I limit any alcohol to beyond rare. If you have to drink to the point of "drunk status" I would say keep it to a max of once a month and never if you are really serious about gains (but that is an extreme).

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
you're fine then. LIVE, go and LIVE for all of those who are not fine with themselves yet! we'd all LOVE a drink!!!!!

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
you're fine then. LIVE, go and LIVE for all of those who are not fine with themselves yet! we'd all LOVE a drink!!!!!
lol after all that hard work if it were me i would NEVER touch a beer/alcohol. It kills your lifts/intesnsity for 2 weeks after one good night. Thats like one step forward 4 steps back.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
lol after all that hard work if it were me i would NEVER touch a beer/alcohol. It kills your lifts/intesnsity for 2 weeks after one good night. Thats like one step forward 4 steps back.
hardly, m'friend. this man is looking to maintain something that took a long time to build. if he still hits the gym, it's totally doable to maintain. people do it every day. and not to mention, this man may not look like a bb'er. he may just be in decent shape and happy with it.

p.s.-that woman in your avatar is.......hypnotizing. i don't know why, but i just stare for about 10 seconds each time i see it.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I'll have to agree with OCCfan here. on special occasions I wouldn't hold it against myself, but anything more often than once every couple of months is just slapping yourself in the face. Mani's right, it's ok to live a little, but I'd have to call bs on anyone using that as an excuse to get plastered every weekend. I would rather see you drink a couple brews with your meals 2 or three nights a week
than get plastered once a week.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I was going to type out a big long thing, but I can sum it up with "alcohol greatly inhibits gains (whether cutting or bulking)". I can back that up first hand.

JDF

Awards
  • Established
if your not looking to BB and just want to look good then have a few beers but dont over do it

If your looking to BB then I would limit drinks like everyone has mentioned

MacTech

MacTech

Awards
  • Established
If you are getting a hangover, then whether you're a bodybuilder or simply maintaining, it isn't doing your body any good.

A couple of drinks, is no problem and in fact may help some people sleep better and de-stress a bit. But those who are accustomed to getting hammered won't limit their consumption to just a couple.

it's taken me two years to be able to control my drinking to once a week on Sundays with a couple glasses of wine at dinner time.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
It's ok to go out and let off some steam with friends. Just don't overdo it is my recommendation. What's the point of getting so plastered you can't function and need other people to help you walk? I've been in that position before. Had 3 shots and 13 beers within a few hours. It was fun, but it did more harm to me than good because my intensity was temporarily diminished and I definitely noticed loss of strength even a few days after the fact. Personally, I get more satisfaction out of success in the gym and with my body than with going out and getting hammered and crap.

But this doesn't mean you're not allowed to have a social life. Go out and have a drink or two. But make those drinks last for a while so you're constantly sipping on something. This way you don't feel out of the loop if you're with friends and you're controlling your drinking within reasonable limits. Make sure you eat if anything and your net loss shouldn't be very significant at all. Just remember if you're serious about BB'ing you're not gaining anything either from the experience. Still, if you're not specifically training for a show at any particular time where you must be totally and religiously dedicated, then you really have nothing to lose.

footster

footster

Awards
Which one is better?

Personally I hate having a couple of drinks here and there during the night, no benefit IMO. I would much rather take a night..and really drink. However I usually only do this...once or twice a month.

cokeholio

cokeholio

Awards
  • Established
dude and i quote "everything in moderation is ok"

cokeholio

cokeholio

Awards
  • Established
lol key word is moderation i dont know if illegal things fall in that though just some wise thing an old customer of mine told me.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Not to deviate to much from the original topic but 40mins of cardio and 2 hours of lifting a day I serious overkill if you are just trying to maintain. You are putting a lot of stress on your system there and alcohol will hinder it ability to recover greatly. The everything in moderation works for both drinking and exercise. Now blow on the other hand, just go ballz to the wallz with that.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I would definitely recommend 1-2 servings of alcohol every day/night over getting wasted even one night a week. I don't see the need to get wasted, but that's just me.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Not to deviate to much from the original topic but 40mins of cardio and 2 hours of lifting a day I serious overkill if you are just trying to maintain. You are putting a lot of stress on your system there and alcohol will hinder it ability to recover greatly. The everything in moderation works for both drinking and exercise. Now blow on the other hand, just go ballz to the wallz with that.
Damn... I guess I misread that... 40 mins of cardio per day and 2 hours of lifting per day?

Bro, you should look into a dictionary and find the word intensity... then get some. :fool2:

cjbadboy

Awards
Pdigs i understand where you are coming from being a college student myself. I keep myself to one night a week getting drunk. I always drink half a gallonof water before bed, and have protein rich meal bfore as well. Then i set my alarm a few times during the night and drink h2o so the gallon is gone by the time i wake up. And although i do feel the effects the next day, i think they are greatly reduced and i dont see any real drawbacks in my strength or appearance thereafter.

pdigs

Damn... I guess I misread that... 40 mins of cardio per day and 2 hours of lifting per day?

Bro, you should look into a dictionary and find the word intensity... then get some. :fool2:
u need to look up the word endurance, detication, patience. years of working out and u can get both intensity and last.

pdigs

Pdigs i understand where you are coming from being a college student myself. I keep myself to one night a week getting drunk. I always drink half a gallonof water before bed, and have protein rich meal bfore as well. Then i set my alarm a few times during the night and drink h2o so the gallon is gone by the time i wake up. And although i do feel the effects the next day, i think they are greatly reduced and i dont see any real drawbacks in my strength or appearance thereafter.
this is pretty much the same thing i do. i havnt noticed any drawbacks either the last few years... maybe slower progress, but no setbacks. im sure my progress could of been better without but still i burned both ends of the stick for a long time and still looked good. getting older now though so ill take some advice and cut it out

ptdanny

Awards
I agree with you guys.

Almost anything in moderation is okay, and when you earn a drink, cheat meal, etc... it is sooo much better! drinking that often will only hinder results, besides it being hollow calories, it will slow progress.

Also 40min of cardio & 2 hours of lifting EVERYDAY sounds kinda loco, unless u take really long breaks between sets or something? I used to lift for 2 hours when i first began, and i was doing 2 body parts together with 4-5 lifts per bodypart, so chest and back day was like 8-10 lifts and 4 sets on each usually. But now my workouts are 5x a week, for 1 hour or just over an hour of very quick and intense training. I think the muscles progress better that way personally.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
u need to look up the word endurance, detication, patience. years of working out and u can get both intensity and last.
Hahaha. Yeah you're right pdigs. I'll do that right now. :fool2:

dmpray

Awards
Drinkers

Drinking alcohol in excess is never a good idea. With that said, there is no problem with having an occasional drink now and then, just remember that moderation is best! Something else to keep in mind: Alcohol has NO nutritional value whatsoever and in fact contains 7 calories/gram. Google alcohol and nutrition for more info.

nevergoodenough

nevergoodenough

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Personally, I say drinking 1 day a week is going to be better for your physique than having a few drinks a couple times a week. Basically, when you drink your body's process' focus completely on metabolizing the alcohol, so any food you consume is going to be stored, not used for energy. So pretty much every time the bottle touches your lips calorie burning is halted.

nevergoodenough

nevergoodenough

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
as to why I limit any alcohol to beyond rare. If you have to drink to the point of "drunk status" I would say keep it to a max of once a month and never if you are really serious about gains (but that is an extreme).
OCCFan, aren't you only 19? You're not allowed to drink yet! :fool2:

pdigs

I agree with you guys.

Almost anything in moderation is okay, and when you earn a drink, cheat meal, etc... it is sooo much better! drinking that often will only hinder results, besides it being hollow calories, it will slow progress.

Also 40min of cardio & 2 hours of lifting EVERYDAY sounds kinda loco, unless u take really long breaks between sets or something? I used to lift for 2 hours when i first began, and i was doing 2 body parts together with 4-5 lifts per bodypart, so chest and back day was like 8-10 lifts and 4 sets on each usually. But now my workouts are 5x a week, for 1 hour or just over an hour of very quick and intense training. I think the muscles progress better that way personally.
the 2 hours of lifting are split, morning and evening. the cardio is split 20min before each workout, i just added it all together. so i go 20min cardio, one bodypart....then later that evening another 20min of cardio and another bodypart. that comes out to working each bodypart twice a week, with abs every other day. so 2 times a week on each bodypart is perfect for me, but keep in mind i dont work so its easy. if i start working ill have to break it down into one workout:sad:

pdigs

Personally, I say drinking 1 day a week is going to be better for your physique than having a few drinks a couple times a week. Basically, when you drink your body's process' focus completely on metabolizing the alcohol, so any food you consume is going to be stored, not used for energy. So pretty much every time the bottle touches your lips calorie burning is halted.
completely agree. besides, what the hell is the point of "just a few drinks" lol. i mean im not some 50yr old dad sippin back a few glasses of merlow with my old haggy wife everynight to ease the pain of growing old

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
completely agree. besides, what the hell is the point of "just a few drinks" lol. i mean im not some 50yr old dad sippin back a few glasses of merlow with my old haggy wife everynight to ease the pain of growing old
Nevergoodenough, don't make me pull out the damn studies on how good a serving or two of alcohol a day is for your heart and longevity.

Pdiggity, not everyone who enjoys a couple good drinks isn't a 50 year old dad easing the pain of growing old. lol. Why can't you have a couple drinks and leave it at that? You don't have to answer, because it's not about your personal preference to be a lush whenever you decide it's your drinking day. If we're talking about health factors and a solid, vital lifestyle, don't intoxicate yourself. Ever.

nevergoodenough

nevergoodenough

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Nevergoodenough, don't make me pull out the damn studies on how good a serving or two of alcohol a day is for your heart and longevity.

Pdiggity, not everyone who enjoys a couple good drinks isn't a 50 year old dad easing the pain of growing old. lol. Why can't you have a couple drinks and leave it at that? You don't have to answer, because it's not about your personal preference to be a lush whenever you decide it's your drinking day. If we're talking about health factors and a solid, vital lifestyle, don't intoxicate yourself. Ever.

Notice, I said "for your physique". Coffee is also the number one source of anti-oxidants for Americans. Does that mean it is the best source of anti-oxidants? Man you gotta work on the whole condesending thing. You present a lot of critical viewpoints without anything constructive.

nevergoodenough

nevergoodenough

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Enjoy life, if you like to go out and get your drink on every now and again, have at it. To get back to your inital point (that usually gets diverted from because everyone wants to be a smart ass, or a one-upper) getting tipsy one time a week is not going to make you grow man boobs, or sink your testosterone. If you are drinking, my best advice is stay away from eating a XXL pizza at 3 am.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Notice, I said "for your physique". Coffee is also the number one source of anti-oxidants for Americans. Does that mean it is the best source of anti-oxidants? Man you gotta work on the whole condesending thing. You present a lot of critical viewpoints without anything constructive.
I'm not condescending onto anyone... Chill holmes.

You can get results exercising and still drink now and then, I'm not going to argue that one. When you're ready to get serious about it to the point where it becomes a lifestyle and not just a few good things in a few aspects of the whole package, then the drinking stops.

ptdanny

Awards
ya work will definitely change your workout routine! haha

but if you have free time now, im glad your taking advantage of it, just be sure to rest well and not over train. Personally i would take a day off and not lift anything, or maybe just do cardio.

I'm not sure about your goals or current situation, but if you eat right, and lift right, it will take care of most of it, then cardio can help drop weight & burn extra calories if needed.

I agree with nevergoodenough too. Heck maybe you'll live to be 120! ;)

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
ya work will definitely change your workout routine! haha

but if you have free time now, im glad your taking advantage of it, just be sure to rest well and not over train. Personally i would take a day off and not lift anything, or maybe just do cardio.

I'm not sure about your goals or current situation, but if you eat right, and lift right, it will take care of most of it, then cardio can help drop weight & burn extra calories if needed.

I agree with nevergoodenough too. Heck maybe you'll live to be 120! ;)
Why hello PT Danny! Good to have you on the boards. I agree with taking a day or two and not lifting anything, though I believe in using that time for some recreation (not the supplement by USP Labs).

pdigs

i dont think it is the actual alcohol that detours training, its definently the XXL pizza u eat drunk at 3am like neverenough said. i have noticed there is relavence to this in peoples arguments, they dont factor the poor eating habits while drunk

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
i dont think it is the actual alcohol that detours training, its definently the XXL pizza u eat drunk at 3am like neverenough said. i have noticed there is relavence to this in peoples arguments, they dont factor the poor eating habits while drunk
Some people can recovery from a night of getting lit up better than others... and people like me will lay in bed the entire next day telling everyone else to get lost ;)

philspecv

philspecv

Awards
In that case!

**starts to pour a gram bag on to a mirror**

ahah
does this have any bad effects on the body like how alcohol does?....just wondering;)
cuz i felt WEAK on my next workout after a GOOD night
hehe
o n btw i dont do this that much...it was a rare reoccurence of past bad habits that friends sometimes manage to lure me into:p..

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
does this have any bad effects on the body like how alcohol does?....just wondering;)
hehe
o n btw i dont do this that much...it was a rare reoccurence of past bad habits that friends sometimes manage to lure me into:p..
Hahaha! They really have to try hard to lure you in ;)

Magic dust and exercise are kinda contradictory... but if you do party on Saturday, I'd definitely take Sunday completely off and refeed/veg-out.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Saturday night is my designated drinking night. However, before I go out, I make sure to have 2 servings of Poseidon and 1 before I go to bed. Unless I drink a ridiculous amount, I do not have a hangover the next day. Sunday is the only day of the week that I don't train, so I use that as my rest/recovery day.

I probably drink more than most on this board, but I make sure to have a strict diet, training, and rest routine the rest of the week. It's pretty much my treat to myself for a hard weeks work.

pdigs

hehe
nothing wrong with a little yayo, i was in the best shape of my life when i was a cokehead no joke (super cut). however if u let it lead to things like opiates then its over... u wont care about working out ever again trust me

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
When you're ready to get serious about it to the point where it becomes a lifestyle and not just a few good things in a few aspects of the whole package, then the drinking stops.
See that's the thing for me, even though I doubt a couple beers on a weekend here and there would show visibly on an active person's physique, I just can't help but think I'm just chugging
a bunch of worthless carbs and sugar, and that while my body's busy processing it all, my liver is too distracted to metabolize fat.
It makes me not want a drink.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
See that's the thing for me, even though I doubt a couple beers on a weekend here and there would show visibly on an active person's physique, I just can't help but think I'm just chugging
a bunch of worthless carbs and sugar, and that while my body's busy processing it all, my liver is too distracted to metabolize fat.
It makes me not want a drink.
I hear ya... I kinda learned to let go a little bit here and there, though I'm not touching it while I'm cutting/recomping.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
nothing wrong with a little yayo, i was in the best shape of my life when i was a cokehead no joke (super cut). however if u let it lead to things like opiates then its over... u wont care about working out ever again trust me
I've seen many cokeheads that are cut. It doesn't mean you're in amazing shape because your face is sunken in and you have excreted the subcutaneous water weight from beneath the skin. It doesn't mean you're in great shape because you sniffed so much blow that your appetite decided to go away and you don't eat for extended periods of time. That's called being anorexic. It doesn't mean jack when you hit a good line of snow and the dopamine (and NE & adrenaline) rush causes the nervous system to contract every muscle in your body.
I must've HONESTLY been 5% bodyfat while using speed. It doesn't mean I was in great shape. My confidence was high and a ton of women would be talking to me and that definitely boosted the ego, but what does being in good shape mean to you?

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
Saturday night is my designated drinking night. However, before I go out, I make sure to have 2 servings of Poseidon and 1 before I go to bed. Unless I drink a ridiculous amount, I do not have a hangover the next day. Sunday is the only day of the week that I don't train, so I use that as my rest/recovery day.

I probably drink more than most on this board, but I make sure to have a strict diet, training, and rest routine the rest of the week. It's pretty much my treat to myself for a hard weeks work.
I like this strategy. Good example of a balance between both sides

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think like some others have said you have to decide what your goals are. If your dead-set on looking like a bodybuilder, then obviously drinking won't do you any good.

However there's a balance in life, and if it's all work and no play... are you really enjoying yourself? I think you should let yourself have a night of drinking here and there. I know tons of guys at the gym who look ripped and drink beer regularly! Just avoid eating tons of food late at night, and maybe try drinking on an empty stomach so it doesn't take as much to get you to the drunk point you want ;)

Enjoy life, it only happens once. The girl won't care if you put on 0.1% bf that night, or that your bench is now -5lbs. All that matters is that you met her.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think like some others have said you have to decide what your goals are. If your dead-set on looking like a bodybuilder, then obviously drinking won't do you any good.

However there's a balance in life, and if it's all work and no play... are you really enjoying yourself? I think you should let yourself have a night of drinking here and there. I know tons of guys at the gym who look ripped and drink beer regularly! Just avoid eating tons of food late at night, and maybe try drinking on an empty stomach so it doesn't take as much to get you to the drunk point you want ;)

Enjoy life, it only happens once. The girl won't care if you put on 0.1% bf that night, or that your bench is now -5lbs. All that matters is that you met her.
Fvck that. On a similar note, be VERY careful if you drink while taking any product with naringin in it (e.g. RPM, Drive, etc). I have had some very bad nights and mornings because I forgot about these. A 12 will hit you like 18 and you go from sober to buzzed to trashed within 1-2 drinks.

vpower

vpower

Awards
  • Established
good to know every1s insight on this matter getting drunk with friends is always a good time, working out during the week makes up for it to some but just remember.. in life not to take it too seriously no one makes it out alive..