Do you eat Ramen Noodles?

Do you eat Ramen Noodles?

• Total voters
Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Just thought I'd see the view on these suckers. I have a box of like 12 chicken flavored pouches, but I really kinda keep away from Ramen if possible. They really don't give you anything nutritionally, and their sodium count is ridiculous!

Also, if you do eat them, how do you prepare them. When I used to eat 'em I'd toss in some fri-chik (vegetarian) cut into cubes and some mixed veggies. Still, not very nutritionally valuable though.

Any other Ramen ideas/thoughts/recipes are quite welcome.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Eat them without the flavoring? Even then they're still not the best thing for you but less sodium.

Whenever I get the urge, because it's rare. Very rare.

Last edited:
Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I just found this recipe, and it seems to be at very least, a way to add more protein to your ramen.

Slightly Healthier College Ramen Soup

INGREDIENTS

* 2 1/2 cups water
* 1 carrot, sliced
* 4 fresh mushrooms, sliced
* 1 (3 ounce) package ramen noodle pasta with flavor packet
* 1 egg, lightly beaten
* 1/4 cup milk (optional)

DIRECTIONS

In a medium saucepan bring the water to a boil over high heat. Stir in the carrot and mushrooms and boil for about 7 minutes. Add the noodles and the flavoring packet; stir to break up the noodles. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 3 minutes. Slowly pour in the egg and stir for 30 seconds until the egg has cooked. Stir in the milk.

----------------------

I might give this one a shot tomorrow and see how it tastes.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
i do eat ramen some times when im lazy. Something to think about though, as msg is one of the ingredients, why its so salty.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/242-msg-linked-blindness.html
Well, sounds like TOO MUCH is the problem. I consider that like the tuna/mercury dilemma. Also, injecting Ramen directly into my retina sounds like what I really need to keep from doing :lol: It's gonna be tough not to do that!!

Thanks for the input futurepilot - good info

joeflex73

joeflex73

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Used to when I was younger but probably havent had any in oh....at least 4 or 5 years.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I can't vote because while I actually do like ramen, I haven't eaten it in years, it used to be mostly a budget thing for me and I haven't been that hard pressed in a long while.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hope it's you LAST possible option for food, that stuff is pure sh*t sodium/fat content is just absurd.

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
Haha yeah in times of financial crisis ramen saves lives. Throw in a can of chicken and some hot sauce and you got a damn good tasting soup for a couple bucks.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Wow. I haven't eaten that stuff since my freshman year in college!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hope it's you LAST possible option for food, that stuff is pure sh*t sodium/fat content is just absurd.
I remember a certain someone that lived off them when we were younger......;)

They're good, but should definitely be a last resort. I last ate them i believe in my college years haha. They're cheap overall, which left more money for the almighty beer. :D

rbuecker

rbuecker

Awards
  • Established
I do like how cheap they are, and I've been cutting the seasoning packet in half or even less sometimes- ever since I read that each package is actually 2 servings (double the sodium numbers.. god).

Isn't this a good last resort way to get carbohydrates? Or is everyone mixing waxy maize and maldextrin making it a moot point?

I still have quite a stack of ramen ready to go :)

shnitzel

Awards
Top Ramen by Nissin used to be the best, but I Haven't seen it in while. This was a staple food for me while in the Marines. In the field...mix this with an MRE...like fine dining...those who were there know what I mean.
Now, I occasionally have a pack..I drain the water after the noodles are soft enough, and then sprinkle the mix..so it is a dry eat rather than a soup.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
This doesn't just strike you guys as delicious looking??? :lol:

Last edited:

Cash

Awards
i personally throw out the flavor pack, its where all the sodium and crap come from. just get some chili paste and throw it in instead, only need a bit and u have a nice spicy treat, add some vegetables and its even better, if i have some kind of meat (chicken/beef) as leftovers or something i throw it in if i feel hungry enough, oh and an egg also adds some nice substance...the single packet hardly ever fills me up.

Grant

Awards
  • Established
I eat it a few times a week, I never use the flavor packet though, if I'm in the mood I'll just add some hot sauce and chunky PB, tastes like Pad Thai

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
ok illl tell u the best recipie, chicken flavor with lemon juice and hot sauce is sooooo delicious i only eat tho when i cant hold back

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
its cheap and quick. i dont worry about the fat, its not that much actually. I have many ways of fixing it up with other ingredients.

ejg700

ejg700

Awards
Back before I use to read nutrition labels religiously, I would take like 4 paks, (beef, and chicken were my favorite,) And mix them with 4 cans of tuna! Haha, I thought I was on a diet, lol! How I managed to lose any weight is still beyond me

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I could somehow be uneffected by carbs, I would be a noodle-holic FA SHO!!!! :dance:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Back before I use to read nutrition labels religiously, I would take like 4 paks, (beef, and chicken were my favorite,) And mix them with 4 cans of tuna! Haha, I thought I was on a diet, lol! How I managed to lose any weight is still beyond me
Holy mother of Seinfeld, that is... average can of tuna 90 kcals x4= 360, average bag of ramen 190 kcals x 4 = 760, totaling about 1,120 calories in your "diet" meal. Shite man!

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established

maybe you had some anabolic pump in the mix

getb1g

Awards
I have it once in a while.. but I limit myself since its not exactly the healthiest choice in the world. I make ramen my own way.... I add some veggies, olive oil, oregano, and what ever else I feel like throwing in.

I also make tomato soup ramen. I use chicken ramen and add 1 TBSP ketchup and 1 TBSP sour cream. I love it

drunk

Awards
You all need to try genuine ramen. We have a ramen shop in Denver, it's nothing like top ramen. One of the owners has a chain of around 15 shops in Tokyo and then one in the US in Denver. It's good stuff. Don't think I can go back to top ramen.

Erekose

Erekose

Awards
You all need to try genuine ramen. We have a ramen shop in Denver, it's nothing like top ramen. One of the owners has a chain of around 15 shops in Tokyo and then one in the US in Denver. It's good stuff. Don't think I can go back to top ramen.
I work in Tokyo and have ramen at least once a week. Real ramen is GOOD, but the cheap dried stuff is a good way to get calories for little $.

Unfortunately the packaged stuff is about 10x as expensive here as in the USA, so I don't bother.

GuitarHero

GuitarHero

Awards
Hell to the NO! I ate that crap all the time when I lived in the dorms Fresh and Soph years of College... I almost puked when I read the title of this thread. If I smell Ramen, my stomach churns.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
Seriously, who comes to a board titled anabolicminds. com and eats Ramen POS noodles? That $hit is HORRIBLE. MSG, processed carbs, etc., etc.

I recommend you stop eating that crap and if money is an issue, quit smoking yer greens and sucking beers on the weekend. Or sell your Honda's fart pipe and Ebay the picnic-table wing you have on back too.

Man up, eat real food player.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
Back in the day when money was tight Ramen was the way.. Breakfast Lunch and Dinner along with what ever protein sources i could manage.... lmfao!! Now.. I would never touch that garbage....

tim1985

tim1985

Awards
  • Established
i love ramen but i just eat it plain and uncooked its kinda like eating chips that way.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Haha yeah in times of financial crisis ramen saves lives. Throw in a can of chicken and some hot sauce and you got a damn good tasting soup for a couple bucks.
hahahah thats the truth

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
LOL you guys are SIIIICK! Eating Ramen uncooked? DEWD! :lol: Please go buy whole wheat pasta.....so much better for you and you can cook it in bulk so it lasts a while in the fridge!

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
I work in Tokyo and have ramen at least once a week. Real ramen is GOOD, but the cheap dried stuff is a good way to get calories for little $.

Unfortunately the packaged stuff is about 10x as expensive here as in the USA, so I don't bother.
You talking like saimin?? Saimin is the bomb, I ate that stuff in Hawaii non-stop.

Wiki:
Saimin is a noodle soup dish developed in and unique to Hawaii. Inspired by Japanese udon, Chinese mein, and Filipino pancit, saimin was developed during Hawaii's plantation era. It is a soup dish of soft wheat egg noodles served in hot dashi (stock from Japanese bonito fish or shrimp). Same as Japanese ramen (which is often incorrectly called saimin by locals), saimin noodles tend to crinkle when cooked. It is garnished with green onions, baby bok choy or Chinese cabbage, kamaboko (steamed fish cake), Char siu (Chinese barbecue pork), sliced luncheon meat (Spam is the most popular choice) or Portuguese sausage (linguiça), and nori (seaweed wafers), among other additions. Japanese pot stickers, called gyoza, as well as Chinese wonton, are usually added for special occasions. A pan-fried version, primarily inspired by Filipino pancit, is also popular, especially at carnivals, fair grounds, and catered parties.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
I eat it a few times a week, I never use the flavor packet though, if I'm in the mood I'll just add some hot sauce and chunky PB, tastes like Pad Thai
There. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. :wtf:

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm a ramen noodle freak! No, they are not good for you but here is what I do. I'll make up like 4 packages use only 2 of the seasonings, put in 2 chicken breasts, 2 slices of low fat cheese, 4 eggs, sometimes some frozen broccoli. Me and the kids love it. I think the extra ingredients help its nutrition value go up.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I like the chicken, pork, and pesto ramen when I have a cold or sometimes during winter.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
i use to consume them things with chicken and about 6 egg whites, mixed with low fat cheese and a cup of milk...

damn, those were the days...

I remember i'd eat that before going to the gym and feel great throughout the workout, then about 20mins after the workout, i'd puke....wow, gotta love it.

JohnnyW

Awards
I used to eat ramen whenever I got the urge, now to satisfy the craving, I make some egg drop soup, nice quick and much better for you.
1 can low sodium chicken broth, 6-7 egg whites, little sriracha sauce... mmm

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
i loveeee ramen nooodles lemon juice and hotsauce added to the chicken flavor ramen is the bomb please someone try it and give me some feedback

tpduke112

Awards
I havent eaten Ramen in years. I ate them when I was a broke college freshman, but not so much any more.

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
because of this thread my chicken flavor ramen noodle with lemon juice and hot sauce addiction had flared up again and im eating 3 packs a day for breakfast and still droppin BF lol gotta love that metabolism