How much water?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  159 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77%

How much water?

On average, how much water do you guys and gals drink daily? Is it possible to drink TOO much water?

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.55%

I drink at least a gallon a day.

Yes you can drink too much water but its absolutely silly amounts you would have drink
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.72%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

1oz per 2lb of body weight is the recommended standard but many go above that.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  203 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.82%

There's a poll a few pages back:

how much water per day do you drink?
  5. PES Rep
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.69%

i drink as much water as i can usually over 1.5 gal... considering all the supplements I'm taking another benefit is that it helps to flush out my system
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.34%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

What typicaly happens when you drink "too" much water is you get hyponatremia, which is when your electrolytes become inbalanced. Usually, sodium levels drop to low. Remember food/eating is part of hydration as well and you should be good to go.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.19%

2 gallons
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.77%

It's quite easy to drink too much. 2 gallons is a **** load although many people on here will disagree with me, you should be getting plenty of water in the food that you eat. gallon a day will do. there was some article on how water bottles are turning into our pasifiers and what not, try and google that, you'll find some good info. Too much water can kill your kidneys though to not go into detail. OCCfan will probably disagree with something, we usually dont see eye to eye
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.77%

obviously not necassarily "kill" just figure of speech. it's just over working them
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.19%

Quote Originally Posted by sreed11 View Post
    It's quite easy to drink too much. 2 gallons is a **** load although many people on here will disagree with me, you should be getting plenty of water in the food that you eat. gallon a day will do. there was some article on how water bottles are turning into our pasifiers and what not, try and google that, you'll find some good info. Too much water can kill your kidneys though to not go into detail. OCCfan will probably disagree with something, we usually dont see eye to eye
    Kidney damage from over consumption of water is usually completely off (as your kidneys can process something like 10 gallons of water a day. So as long as you are taking in your h20 over the course of the day no ill effects on your kidneys.)

As far as over consumption of water messing people up, like stated above it has to do with electrolyte balances (mainly sodium). Majority of us loose water and electrolytes when were sweating from busting our asses in the gym and so on (as well as just some bodily functions and then it being excreted through urine). Replacing the fluid loss is great, but when you don't replace the electolytes is when you will run into problems (not going to really dive in deep on that but electrolyte balance {especially sodium} is crucial for cell integrity, cell function, and maintenance of other electrolyte balances like potassium.)

Don't be afraid of drinking water, and in all honesty a lot of people on here could be considered "dehydrated." So drink up but at the same time replenish what your loosing along with those bodily fluids.

Edit*:
    Oh and disagreeing is just discussing different viewpoints and correcting each other from time to time. The whole point of AM lol
    Last edited by OCCFan023; 04-25-2008 at 10:05 PM.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.77%

touche. i wasn't really saying it would mess up your liver, i just feel like it could overwork it. More of my standpoint i guess is dont just chug a gallon through one workout. i do agree with the electrolyte balances though most definitely.. more of just cause it's fact and does happen more frequently than you'd think. i usually have a gatorade or recharge (like an organic gatorade that's delicious and not full of sugar or artificial sweeteners and dilute it with water throughout my workout)
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.19%

Quote Originally Posted by sreed11 View Post
    touche. i wasn't really saying it would mess up your liver, i just feel like it could overwork it. More of my standpoint i guess is dont just chug a gallon through one workout. i do agree with the electrolyte balances though most definitely.. more of just cause it's fact and does happen more frequently than you'd think. i usually have a gatorade or recharge (like an organic gatorade that's delicious and not full of sugar or artificial sweeteners and dilute it with water throughout my workout)

I usually go through a gallon between beginning training and by my last set I hope to have finished it (sometimes its finished with my post w/o meal if I have another drink like a big mix of Xtend and added Aminos/Dex. Rest of the gallon throughout the day). This works extremely well for myself and my body chemistry but won't work for everyone (although I personally feel a 1.5 minimum for people that are training hard).

More so like you said its crucial to understand that just taking in water all at once or downing gallon sized waters is correct. Water absorption will vary among individuals and also depend on other outside factors; so balance is key.
  13. PES Rep
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.69%

if you want to hear whats too much water? a couple of years ago there was this radio station in the bay area that promoted this contest called "wii or pee" or something in those lines where contestants would drink as much water as they could w/ peeing and i guess someone ended up drinking a couple of gallons and held it in and ended up in the hospital and later died. the radio station got sued and so on and so forth, but the point i wanted to make is if you dont hold it in and keep peeing all day you should be fine, you're just flushing your system.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Purified Water VS. Distilled Water?!?!
    By Z28Luver7777 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 08-27-2010, 07:46 AM
  2. Tap Water, Bottled Water Or Filtered Water?
    By HQProperty in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 05:12 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-24-2008, 04:56 PM
  4. Sterile water or is bottled water ok?
    By allnamesrused in forum Bulking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2007, 03:06 PM
  5. "water water every where and not a drop to drink....."
    By Jedi Master in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2003, 03:41 AM