Tuna Question.

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
I eat tuna a lot and people have been telling me lately that i should be careful b/c of the mercury content. after reading up on it i found out that the recommended amount is no more than 3 cans a week. needless to say i was way beyond this amount.

Anyways to my question-has anyone here had any issues/problems from eating a lot of tuna. also, do you think i should be worried if i was eating a can and sometimes two cans a day for a while??

LeeN

LeeN

Awards
I eat tuna a lot and people have been telling me lately that i should be careful b/c of the mercury content. after reading up on it i found out that the recommended amount is no more than 3 cans a week. needless to say i was way beyond this amount.

Anyways to my question-has anyone here had any issues/problems from eating a lot of tuna. also, do you think i should be worried if i was eating a can and sometimes two cans a day for a while??
I usually eat a bit more than that per week and did a little research when I first heard that as well. Apparently this is an issue with alot of bigger game fish because the older they are, the more mercury is built up.

There are also difference in content with which kind(albacore, chunk light, etc)

But to answer your questions, I've never seen anyone get mercury poisoning from canned tuna:cheers:

check this link out

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/tuna.asp

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I don't think you have to worry about that. The same people that tell you that you will get mercury poisoning from canned tuna are the people taking 30+grams of fish oil per day!.

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
whew thx guys i appreciate it the last thing i need is mercury poisoning.lol

thx for the link Leen

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
If you're really worried about mercury poisoning then consume an apple along with the tuna. Apple pectin is known to eliminate heavy metals from the body.

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
If you're really worried about mercury poisoning then consume an apple along with the tuna. Apple pectin is known to eliminate heavy metals from the body.

awesome. i eat apples like candy. thx for the info.