Name Your Fruits And Veggies...

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
THAT YA LOVE THE MOST!!! AND WHY YOU LOVE EM!!!!

Mine are apples, celery and sweet potatoes.

Apples- they seem to make me digest every meal i eat them with quickly.

Celery- powerful antioxidants/high potassium that, like apples, seem to make me digest my meals quickly.

Sweet Potatoes- complex carbs that are straight from nature. I find them superior to grains because they are just so full of antioxidants/vitamins. I also find that I digest them better as well. They don't sit so hard.

What y'all like?!

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Bananas are my primary fruit for the hours around training... goes down easy and burns good.
I'll often include oranges, and apples less often, into the meals throughout the day. I have no complaints about these fruits, so I have yet to even bother trying new sources such as berries, ect.

With vegetables, I find that I don't get bored with them as long as I cycle them often. My favorite at the moment is a mixed medly of brocolli/string beans/mushrooms/onions, but I cycle through peas/carrot medlys, snow peas, green beans, and brocolli. Variation keeps me interested.

Celery is a good call - I should eat those more often. Filling stuff... my only concern is the price. The vegetables I buy are the frozen-bag-kind at the local supermarket... usually very affordable. But those apples man... I could eat 3 with each meal.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bananas : Post-WO. Makes a great shake with chocolate frozen yogurt + milk

Apples: Convenience
Veggies: Brussel Sprouts... call me crazy but I love em roasted
Well pretty much any veggies lol, tomatoes are awesome though. So hard to pick since I eat so many. Sugar snap peas are an awesome snack.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Bananas are my primary fruit for the hours around training... goes down easy and burns good.
I'll often include oranges, and apples less often, into the meals throughout the day. I have no complaints about these fruits, so I have yet to even bother trying new sources such as berries, ect.

With vegetables, I find that I don't get bored with them as long as I cycle them often. My favorite at the moment is a mixed medly of brocolli/string beans/mushrooms/onions, but I cycle through peas/carrot medlys, snow peas, green beans, and brocolli. Variation keeps me interested.

Celery is a good call - I should eat those more often. Filling stuff... my only concern is the price. The vegetables I buy are the frozen-bag-kind at the local supermarket... usually very affordable. But those apples man... I could eat 3 with each meal.

i haven't ate bananas in the longest, primarily because they were a staple in my old diets for a couple years. i ate 2-3 a day. i'm sure they'll be back in the fold someday, though.

Celery is a great call, m'man. and what u talkin' about willis?! it's cheap! i buy the stalks for a buck or so at the store. 2 stalks last me a week, cause i only eat 2-3 sticks a day off of em. excellent veggie. get you some if you can find a good price like i get em at. it's like a stress reliever, electrolyte drink, fiber supp all in one. bomb!

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Bananas : Post-WO. Makes a great shake with chocolate frozen yogurt + milk

Apples: Convenience
Veggies: Brussel Sprouts... call me crazy but I love em roasted
Well pretty much any veggies lol, tomatoes are awesome though. So hard to pick since I eat so many. Sugar snap peas are an awesome snack.

i must say that apples are indeed quite convenient, as they're able to be grabbed on the go and involve no peeling/etc.

i'm gonna find the initiative at some point to read about all the veggies fruits and make a comprehensive post over all our bb staples science-like. i'm hoping this thread may start something like that.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Bananas are really the only fruit I eat for convenience and taste. Vegetables are raw broccoli and raw asparagus cycled (predominantly broccoli though.) Reasons are self evident :D.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Bananas are really the only fruit I eat for convenience and taste. Vegetables are raw broccoli and raw asparagus cycled (predominantly broccoli though.) Reasons are self evident :D.
you eatin' that raw asparagus, mayn? what's that taste like? i would try it, but i can't afford fresh asparagus. it costs over three bucks for a few stalks fresh, and i ain't about to eat that canned crap. but seriously, what's it like raw?

p.s.- i like that you don't cook the veggies. preserving the natural state is good for the obvious reason of keepin' dem nutrients. however, if i do steam them with a bit of water, i drink the water down as well, but i am also an advocate of the raw for the most part. heh.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I prefer the taste/texture of the raw broccoli over the raw asparagus. Raw asparagus has a lot more water in it so it has a more "veggie" taste imo. After a while of eat aspragus I get to a point where I can't put it down any more. That happens less with my broccoli intake. I also don't steam them for the nutrient value but more so because I hate the texture of warm soft vegetables.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
Apples, oranges bananas, brocoli, cauliflower corn, I like these and there great staples.

I also like blood plums, nectarines and green grapes just for the taste.

Its great how an apple will wake you up in the morning.

Any1 else here hate slightly overripe fruit?

Deegin

Awards
however, if i do steam them with a bit of water, i drink the water down as well
I never thought about drinking the water after steaming veggies, I may give that a try someday.

My favorite veggies are all the leafy greens and broccoli.. they go with pretty much everything. Celery is also one of my favorites chopped up in salads or with a little peanut butter.. good stuff.

Fruits: all the berries and all the melons.. I love them and I find them quite refreshing.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Oh man, someone mentioned asparagus. Being out of season, I forgot how much I love grillin' those things on my George Foreman. That was some good stuff. Grill some celery?

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
Apples= favorite fruit ever. help me digest meals quickly as well.

broccoli, potatoes and i love sweet peas.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Where's the sweet potato love guys!

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Oh man, someone mentioned asparagus. Being out of season, I forgot how much I love grillin' those things on my George Foreman. That was some good stuff. Grill some celery?

man, i don't know about grillin' up some celery. in my experience it's best raw or in soup. but try it n' let us know how it works. it may not be bad if you were to just grill it real quick-like with some seasonings, like a bit of salt/pepper.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Where's the sweet potato love guys!

i got mad love for dem sweet taters. i think they're not mentioned so much due to price issues, but i bite the bullet for them things, mayn. they're good.

for a bulk----10oz sweet potato covered with sugar, pat of butter, sour cream

for a cut----10 oz sweet potato covered with splenda, cinnamon, and a bit of fat-free sour cream.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Coconut

* Lauric acid, the major fatty acid from coconut fat, has antiviral, antibacterial and antiprotozoal functions.
* May help to normalize body lipids, thereby protecting against alcohol damage to the liver and improving the immune system's anti-inflammatory response
* Coconut oil is the healthiest oil you can consume
* Best for protein types if consumed as raw fruit

Berries

* Contain powerful phytochemicals that provide antioxidant protection
* Excellent source of vitamin C, carotenes, zinc, potassium, iron, calcium and magnesium
* High in fiber
* Low in sugar
* Check out Living Fuel Rx Super Berry for a powerful blend of nutritious berries

Olives

* Contain ployphenols that help fight cancer and have an anti-inflammatory effect
* Rich in monounsaturated fat

Papaya

* Rich in antioxidants like carotenes, vitamin C and flavonoids
* Contains B vitamins, vitamin E, folate and fiber
* Rich source of minerals, potassium, magnesium
* Useful for digestion (papaya contains papain, an enzyme that helps with digestion)
* May provide protection against caner
* Provides support for the immune system
* Has anti-inflammatory effects

Avocado

* Excellent source of raw fat, which many Americans are deficient in
* Rich in monounsaturated fat, which is easily burned for energy.
* An avocado has more than twice as much potassium as a banana.
* Good source of folate, dietary fiber, vitamin C, vitamin E, riboflavin and vitamin B6
* Best for protein types

Use the following fruits with caution if you are a protein type or have problems with excess insulin:

Mango

* Rich source of carotenoids and vitamins B and C
* Contains calcium, iron and potassium
* Good source of phosphorus, selenium, folate and zinc
* Contains some protein and amino acids

Pineapple

* Contains an enzyme, bromelain, which aids digestion, reduces inflammation and swelling and may have anti-cancer effects.
* Rich in antioxidants like vitamin C
* Provides immune support
* Excellent source of manganese, thiamin and riboflavin, which are important for energy production

Guava

* Excellent source of vitamin C, lycopene, carotenoids, folate, potassium, fiber, calcium and iron
* Consumption of guava fruit may reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol
* Has anti-microbial properties that may fight bacteria such as Staphylococcus aureus and beta-streptococcus group A.
* Guava is sometimes used as a treatment for diarrhea by natural medicine workers in the tropics

Kiwi

* Excellent source of antioxidant vitamins C and E, and beta-carotene
* Rich in phytonutrients that appear to protect human DNA from free-radical damage
* Good source of fiber, potassium, magnesium, copper and phosphorous
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2004/01/14/healthy-fruits.aspx

gonna add more mango/coconut into my diet. i know coconut oil is healthy and all, but i like fresh fruits. just thought i'd bring this list out. veggies coming right////about/////now---->

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
What is the healthiest vegetable? Upon doing some research the other day, it certainly seems that very few people can decide on exactly what the healthiest vegetable is. I found it amusing to see numerous sources all citing something different, everything from onions to collard greens to swiss chard. While many people have varying opinions on the healthiest vegetable, there is one thing we can all agree on: They all have their great, health-producing benefits. Here today we'll list ten vegetables that by adding to your diet you can drastically improve your health!

1. Collard Greens. Collard greens are a staple of every good southern diet, used in plenty of different recipes in a variety of ways. Tasty and pretty, this veggie has been researched extensively in relation to fighting cancer. - Three of it's amazing nutrients, - sulforaphane, selenium, and diindolymethane - have all been shown to have cancer fighting properties. It is also bursting with vitamin E, calcium, and beta-carotene.

2. Onions. Onions are yet another vegetable bursting with nutritious qualities. There's a flavanoid (Antioxidant) in onions called quercetin, which just so happens to be the most active of all flavanoids. These antioxidants help your body to reduce the damaging effects of free radicals. Onions also are great for reducing inflammation, as well as having anti-tumor qualities.

3. Red peppers. (Bell Peppers) Whether they are being used as a colorful display on the dinner table or adding a perfect flavor to the food itself, these beautiful peppers are known for their ability to add a certain zest to a meal. What most people don't know, however, is that they contain plenty of Vitamins C and A, and because they are loaded with vitamin B6 and folic acid, they can seriously reduce your risk of heart-related illnesses and stroke. But they don't stop there - these sweet veggies have loads of antioxidants, which make them another vegetable that fight off the aging effects of free radicals.

4. Sweet Potatoes. First off, this vegetable comes to the table ready to battle those damaging free radicals with nearly double your daily recommended amount of beta-carotene and vitamin C, both of which are anti-oxidants. This is a wonderfully traditional food that can be served in numerous different forms to match any given occasion, and at the same time offer bountiful amounts of calcium, iron, fiber, and protein to keep you healthy and feeling great!

5. Broccoli. What child doesn't like playing "giant" with their broccoli, pretending like they're biting the heads off of mini trees! (The children that'll eat broccoli, that is!) But these vegetables are more than just fun to look at, they're bursting with vitamins C and A, as well as containing a compound called sulforaphane. Sulforaphane is one of the coolest things about broccoli. - It's an anti-microbial compound that also stimulates your cells to create cancer-fighting enzymes.

6. Carrots. Carrots are a fun and versatile vegetable that can be used in anything from a pot roast to a party snack tray, making them a perfect vegetable for just about anything. They're a great place to get fiber and vitamin K. Of course though, carrots are best known for helping out eyesight, and it's true, they contain beta-carotene. Our body converts beta-carotene into vitamin A. Too little vitamin A can lead to bad vision, but fortunately it can be repaired by introducing more of it back into your body, thus making carrots the perfect food for your peepers!

7. Eggplants. Eggplants are not only good for you; they're extremely low in calories, making them a great diet food. They're a great source of fiber, copper, Vitamin B1, and potassium. The skin of the eggplant also contains plenty of antioxidants, and studies have shown it can help reduce risks of heart-related medical problems.

8. Spinach. While spinach's fame comes from its supposed "amazingly high" iron content, the truth is that while spinach does have an above average amount of iron in it, it has many other nutritional benefits that are just as important if not more so. It has plenty of magnesium, vitamin E, vitamin A and vitamin C, making it a very nutritionally dense vegetable. It may not make you as strong as Popeye, but it will definitely improve your health!

9. Celery. It is my belief that celery, more often than not, is thought of as "rabbit food" or food you really only eat when you're trying to lose weight as a substitute for more fattening snacks. While it is true, the calorie content of celery is incredibly low; it's actually quite surprising at just how nutritious this bright green vegetable really is! It's loaded up with potassium, calcium, vitamins C and A, and magnesium! That's a lot of great nutritional benefits, and there's so many fun ways it can be prepared, especially for snacking.

10. Asparagus. Asparagus is one of the few vegetables loaded in vitamin E, making it great for skin health, and it also contains a lot of potassium, vitamin B6, and fiber as well. Another really cool thing about asparagus is two antioxidants it has called "glutathione" and "rutin". Glutathione has been shown to have cancer-fighting qualities, while rutin is great for strengthening the walls of your capillaries.

While there may be many differing opinions on which vegetable gets the title of "healthiest", there's no dispute that all of them have their own amazing nutritional benefits. By adding these to your diet you'll be on the right track to becoming a healthier, happier you.

From http://ezinearticles.com/?Ten-Extraordinarily-Healthy-Vegetables-to-Add-to-Your-Diet&id=810644

SWEET POTATOEZZZZ!!!

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh man, I love me some coconut!

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I have yet to find a fruit I didn't like, if I ever just say f*** trying to get big and lean, I will probably live off of fruit, greens and dairy. Its kind of funny that my ideal of not giving a hoot and eating whatever I want consist of these foods and most of america hates these foods but forces them down because they are deemed health foods.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
I have yet to find a fruit I didn't like, if I ever just say f*** trying to get big and lean, I will probably live off of fruit, greens and dairy. Its kind of funny that my ideal of not giving a hoot and eating whatever I want consist of these foods and most of america hates these foods but forces them down because they are deemed health foods.

it's the sad truth, homie. sad truth. know what else is funny? every time i see a post you've made and read it, i hear arnold's voice saying it in my head, and it's pretty damn funny, particularly this post.

"SO, I'm cumming in the gym, I'm cumming on stage, I'm cumming at home. I'm cumming all the time-I'm in heaven!"

hahahahah!

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
man, i don't know about grillin' up some celery. in my experience it's best raw or in soup. but try it n' let us know how it works. it may not be bad if you were to just grill it real quick-like with some seasonings, like a bit of salt/pepper.
lol man that was meant to be tongue in cheek... i dont think it would be a good idea either (grill muh oranges next)

good posting on that vegetable list... someone needs to get on the sweet potatoe train... ive been neglectin'

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
lol man that was meant to be tongue in cheek... i dont think it would be a good idea either (grill muh oranges next)

good posting on that vegetable list... someone needs to get on the sweet potatoe train... ive been neglectin'

well, i thought it was a bad idea. i'm just too nice to have said so. NO, really, it's true. i wouldn't grill celery. i'm not dumb!!! i mean it!!

but seriously, glad you were kidding.:rofl:

joeflex73

joeflex73

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Fruit for me is watermelon, I could eat an entire one I think with no problem...then would be strawberries....after that, anything, just love those 2.

Veggies, broccoli, fresh spinach (cooked is bleh~) green beans and red/yellow or green peppers.

Really miss the fruit on low carb diet.....

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Fruit for me is watermelon, I could eat an entire one I think with no problem...then would be strawberries....after that, anything, just love those 2.

Veggies, broccoli, fresh spinach (cooked is bleh~) green beans and red/yellow or green peppers.

Really miss the fruit on low carb diet.....

yeah, and it's not even that good to eat when you do a carb-up either. carbs, for the short 5 or so weeks i did the AD, on carb-up days tasted WEIRD to me then. but now, i've transitioned back to a traditional diet, and LOVE has been refound between me and my grain/fruit buddies.:drunk:

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
eh there OCC, i just got me some asparagus on sale for 1 buck 79 a pound at my store and i tried it raw! that is one hell of a snack!

i imagined it would be chewy and...rindy. but it's crisp, subtle, and refreshing! kudos to you, m'man. good idear.

e.

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
When they're in season i love pomegranates,pineapple, papaya, blueberries, rasperries. I always have a bag of apples around they are the perfect snack in between meals (if only they had more protein in them) As for veggies spinach, carrots, cucumbers, broccoli etc.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
I have struggled to find a fruit family that I do not enjoy. I also have no problem really indulging in veggies either.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
i love all fruits... but veggies are hard for me to down

Cash

Awards
i do fruit mostly as it comes into season but all time favorites for me are mangos/strawberrys/bananas/pineapple/fresh coconut. I am usually just stuck with the usual apples tho, oh and satsuma's are absolutely delicious in the summer and so easy to take anywhere. As for vegetables i usually get mine from regular old salads, steamed asparagus or brocoli every now and then tho.

cessna

cessna

Awards
vegetables: broccoli and greeen beens i love grean beens

fruits: bananas but i havent eat them in a long time because of my diet.....i love mangos with lime and salt plus tabasco pepper

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Lets not forget the often forgotten starfruit and the misunderstood prickly pear. Both are delicious.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lets not forget the often forgotten starfruit and the misunderstood prickly pear. Both are delicious.
Never had them. I'll stick to broccoli, bananas, blueberries, apples, and mushrooms. Although, I do enjoy the occassional acai berry smoothie.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Never had them. I'll stick to broccoli, bananas, blueberries, apples, and mushrooms. Although, I do enjoy the occassional acai berry smoothie.
Leave mushrooms outta this. Were talkin fruits and veggies, not fungi.

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
goji berries are always a great treat. mix em with some nuts and you got yourself a great, healthy snack