EGGS Raw or cooked??

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have read arguments about how the protein in an egg is more bioavailable when cooked, but then cholesterol gets oxidized when the egg is cooked....

does any one have a clear cut answer??

AtomSmasher

AtomSmasher

Awards
  • Established
I have always eaten egg whites cooked. Im scared of salmonella from raw eggs, with stuff like that i tend to be very cautious.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am not worried about salmonella, its very low risk.
My question is what is better in terms of protein absorption?

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Probably in its raw liquid form.

My ex's father is a CO and works out often. He's downed raw eggs before and never felt sick or anything.

AtomSmasher

AtomSmasher

Awards
  • Established
Yea it is a pretty low, ive gotten salmonella poisoning from chicken, worst couple days of my life. Thats where my fear comes from. But NY is a smart guy his suggestion is a good one.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What's Salmonella poisoning like?

Yea it is a pretty low, ive gotten salmonella poisoning from chicken, worst couple days of my life. Thats where my fear comes from. But NY is a smart guy his suggestion is a good one.

AtomSmasher

AtomSmasher

Awards
  • Established
Stuff comes out of both ends constantly, lets just leave it at that.

GuitarHero

GuitarHero

Awards
If you're wanting to eat eggs raw, but scared of salmonella, get the cartons of Liquid Egg Whites. I get them at Walmart in a tall carton, which is I think made by the Egg Beaters company. They're pure egg whites that are pasteurized so there's no risk of getting sick, they're perfectly safe to consume raw. I usually use these for my mass/protein shakes when I get sick of choking down 4-6 eggs everyday.

It's not quite as cost-efficient as just buying regular eggs and separating the whites, but it's safer, quicker and not nearly as messy.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
raw all the way! bought 20 from the shop today.

Used to just have the whites and a little yolk, but now i've seen the light and started downing the whole eggs, 4 in my shakes everyday.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
thanks guys.. are you guys sure the protein is more bioavaailable raw or is that just a guess?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I recall correctly, the egg whites need to be cooked to increase their bioavailability but the yolks are better raw, although it might be the opposite of that. I've got an orgo exam in an hour or I'd do some searching for you. I know it's its in these forums somewhere.

tim1985

tim1985

Awards
  • Established
If I recall correctly, the egg whites need to be cooked to increase their bioavailability but the yolks are better raw, although it might be the opposite of that. I've got an orgo exam in an hour or I'd do some searching for you. I know it's its in these forums somewhere.
i seem to remember hearing the opposite. i heard egg whites are very bioavaible but for only a few hours whereas cooked eggs are bioavaible for up to 7 hours. so i think raw is better for quick absorption and cooked is better for slower absorption.:think: not sure though.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Your body processes the protein slower when it's cooked, boiled or whatever(as a whole). If you take it straight not only is it gross, it absorbs quicker than if it were scrambled or boiled.

ManInTheBox

ManInTheBox

Awards
i've read this discussion so much and talked to many people about it...

first of all, there is a process called denaturing. denaturing is just another way of saying cooking. now, for some unknown reason the word denature has gotten a bad wrap and everyone thinks if something is denatured it's bad for you, wrong. eggs, chicken, turkey, steak, and other protein sources all need to undergo denaturing prior to being consumed. prior to being cooked the protein molecules look like webs, large, tangled webs of protein, that your body can not fully break down. after cooking, these webs are undone, and straightened out, into what appears like parallel structures, that is much easier for your body to breakdown and absorb, thus increasing bioavailability.

you need to cook your eggs. and let's face it, they taste a whole lot better when you do!

joeflex73

joeflex73

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Raw eggs are also something to avoid if youre worried about hair loss, theres protein in raw eggs that deactivates biotin and other b-vitamins essential for hair.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Raw eggs are also something to avoid if youre worried about hair loss, theres protein in raw eggs that deactivates biotin and other b-vitamins essential for hair.
Doesn't that apply to eggs in general cooked or uncooked? Also isn't it the yolk part of the egg that causes that?

joeflex73

joeflex73

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Doesn't that apply to eggs in general cooked or uncooked? Also isn't it the yolk part of the egg that causes that?
Cooking denatures that protein, thus deactivating it. Not sure if its in the yolk only or not.