Eating after late workout

JonLanni

Awards
I hit a lite workout in the morning. And one around 10 at nit. By the time im done working out its 11:30 pm. Is it bad to eat after the late nite workout?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Not at all. Don't be afraid to eat closer to bed time (and that includes carbs.) As long as you get your daily caloric needs in (and within what ever range you want) you will be fine with your goals.

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
I'd say it depends on what you're trying to do. If you're eating right before you go to bed you're body isn't using those carbs. It's just storing it and turning it into fat (i'm guessing you know how much your metabolism slows down during sleep). In the morning you are hungry again and will eat and those are the carbs you will use for energy during the day.

But you also do need some food in your metabolic phase IMO so i would eat. It's not really healthy to just work out and not eat after.

Ok so i guess ya i'd go with eating after but i wouldn't be surprised with a little fat gain.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I'd say it depends on what you're trying to do. If you're eating right before you go to bed you're body isn't using those carbs. It's just storing it and turning it into fat (i'm guessing you know how much your metabolism slows down during sleep). In the morning you are hungry again and will eat and those are the carbs you will use for energy during the day.

But you also do need some food in your metabolic phase IMO so i would eat. It's not really healthy to just work out and not eat after.

Ok so i guess ya i'd go with eating after but i wouldn't be surprised with a little fat gain.
Carbs won't just turn to fat because you ingest them prior to bed. Your metabolism does slow down but it in the grand scheme of things its about overall nutrient intake and timing second. Carbs before bed has received this stigma of instant fat gain and it really is a shame. Even if you are trying to loose weight carbs in the last meal of the day can be effectively utilized to help stave of catbaolism and numerous other things. Granted this isn't across the board and you have to know your own bodies reaction to certain scenarios, but blatantly stating carbs will be turned to fat if taken before bed is incorrect.

And personally I like to eat 1.5 hours before bed, but if you have to workout late and get to bed in close proximity to it don't be afraid to eat.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
If your workout happens to fall late at night, your PWO nutrition shouldn't be any different than normal. Your body is still in a sensitive state such that it will absorb nutrients more efficiently and more inclined to shuttle carbohydrates into glycogen stores. Obviously, I wouldn't binge per se, but having a small carb snack PWO followed by a wholesome meal before you go to bed would not hinder your progress and would not automatically convert to fat. Again, like has already been said, focus on your total macros at the end of the day and don't be as concerned with individual meals.

Saurabh

Awards
I hit a lite workout in the morning. And one around 10 at nit. By the time im done working out its 11:30 pm. Is it bad to eat after the late nite workout?
I dont mean to come across as harsh but you seem to be working more than you should. Your evening workout starts at 10 and ends at 11:30 pm, thats about an hour and a half. A light morning workout would probably be another 30 minutes so close to 2 hour in total. Unless you are a professional bodybuilder I am not sure if you need that much workout.

A lite post workout meal, even at late night, is quite good. Have some lean proteins, chicken breast with some brown rice.

JonLanni

Awards
training for minicamp for the winnipeg blue bombers-CFL-

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
FOOTBALL? Than I bump my previous post even more. Get your cals in son!

joeflex73

joeflex73

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Never miss a meal, no matter the time of day!

JonLanni

Awards
The dilemma is I have to report to camp late may at 200lbs. Rite now im 215. I guess running 2 times a day is a must.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
15 pounds in 6 weeks is very doable man (especially since football camps are a one time weigh in, you could drop an extra 5-7 pounds of pure water weight right before the weigh in.

I got to ask though what position are you playing that has you at a max weight of 200 lbs? Thats like a pop warner max out lol.

JonLanni

Awards
07 pro bowl seanny boy really let that punter have it

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I was shocked he even got up after that one.

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
Not at all. Don't be afraid to eat closer to bed time (and that includes carbs.) As long as you get your daily caloric needs in (and within what ever range you want) you will be fine with your goals.

I was worried about this too. being a college student and having a job i usually get in the gym around 10-1030. thx for the helpful post.