Are meal replacement powders a good way to get the nutrition you need?

gatorade12

Awards
Since I don't really have the time to cook both lunch and dinner, are meal replacement powders a good way for me to get the necessary amount of proteins and carbs that I need daily?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Maybe once, and on rare occasions twice a day. They are definately better than not eating. You wouldn't want to plan an entire diet around them.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
they are great if you are a hardgainer or bulking and trying to pack in the cals.
bad if you are trying to stay lean.
just read the label.
most are full of sugars and simple carbs.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
San Infusion is one that I like. Carbs are oats, Protein is Casein and Isolate, Fats are CLA, flax, and MTCs. Tastes good to me, mixes thick.

gatorade12

Awards
are there any good ones on the market? I'm trying to find one that has more protein in it than complex carbs and definitely low sugar/fat

I'm thinking of using them as a way to monitor what I eat during the daytime that way I won't be hungry and have to grab something thats less healthy than these

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
that sans infusion sounds good actually.
i make my own in a blender that is very similar.

just keep in mind that drinkable foods -
are much quicker to digest and absorb creating a faster/higher insulin spike than whole foods.
don't satisfy hungar as long as whole foods.
and they take less energy to digest where whole foods are more thermogenetic. make sure you take this into account when calculating your daily calorie intake/output.

that is why if you are trying to pack in the calories and add weight they are great.

gatorade12

Awards
are there negatives to creating a faster/higher insulin spike?

and when you say takes less energy to digest do you mean that you're not burning as much calories digesting the food as you would by eating whole foods?

I'm thinkin of taking these meal replacment stuff twice a day, something between 10-2pm spaced out and then tweaking to see how it goes

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
SAN Infusion for me as well. Great nutrient profile and no malto. Tastes great and mixes well. Have a SAN shake every morning mixed with 3 cups water, 1 banana and 1 cup of oatmeal.
Check out SAN's profile and compare to ON.

:bow28:

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Although not powder, I consistantly have an MRE bar in the mornings. It's largely in part because I have trouble eating in the mornings. I've been keeping Detour Oatmeal bars around.