2 Evils

jlphillips

jlphillips

Awards
Just a quick question...I am striving for 2500-3000 cals a day @ 40/40/20...which would be worse...not getting enough calories in a day while still hitting my macro %...or not hitting my macro's but getting enough calories....say with too many carbs...

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Depends, you'd probably be better off getting the calories if you're close to your %'s. Either wouldn't be good for too long though. What's causing the shortcomings/high carbing?

jlphillips

jlphillips

Awards
Well I have been pretty close...I've just started tracking with Diet Tracker the past few days....there have been days I was comming up short on calories near the end of the day....and short on quality protein....so I wasnt sure if I should just not eat anymore b/c my ratios looked good...or eat more calories if that meant putting my ratios out of whack...I think this is more of pa problem just until I get rolling...get some more quality food in the house...and get into a routine...I have love steel cut oats and been having that with some fruit and skim milk in it every day for breakfast ...but that is jacking my carbs way up in the morning ...putting me in the hole as far as protein goes right away...i guess I can put a scoop of whey in there....I have to get some vanilla though...I only have chocolate right now...or maybe some turkey sausage for breakfast???

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
If those are the kind of carbs you're getting in you're fine. Oats are a great source of complex carbs. They are a staple in my diet. I bought 4 more tubs of the creepy Quaker Saturday.

But yeah, get those other quality foods into your home and in to your routine and you'll be good to go. If those carbs are mostly earlier in the day then it's no issue.

What kinds of fats are you using?

jlphillips

jlphillips

Awards
Yesterday was 30% sat , 26% ploy, 42% mono.

TheAnimalG

TheAnimalG

Awards
Minimum Calories is more important.

Many nutritionists don't go by ratios anymore, but instead go by minimum grams of carbs, protein, and fat per day. I think the reason that they do this is because of this confusion that you are having. If you didn't get enough calories, you won't grow.

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
I put vanilla whey in my oatmeal or cereal every morning and it is tasty and simple. I've done it with the choco when and that's actually not too bad! Turkey bacon is super easy too, can be microwaved.

TheAnimalG

TheAnimalG

Awards
Oh man, oatmeal + whey is my FAVORITE treat. Its like dessert.

The recipe is this:

- Cook 1/2 cup of oatmeal with 1 cup water in the microwave for 5 minutes on half power.
- Wait 2 minutes to let it cool a bit (so the whey doesnt curdle)
- Add 2 level scoops of whey (chocolate, vanilla or rocky road are all good)
- Add about 4 crushed walnut halves.

This comes to about 40/40/20 in the macros. Delicious and easy!

If your whey isnt very sweet, you can add a couple of packets of splenda. Its delicious!

jlphillips

jlphillips

Awards
Thanks all! Definatly into the whey and oatmeal....i tried chocolate b/c its all i have right now....not bad...but vanilla would prob be awsome!