Pre/ Post Workout Meals

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
Up until just recently I've just been doing Whey in Water pre- and post-workout. That's not cutting it more. It's time to start being concerend with the MEALS pre- and post- and things like post-workout carbs. My question is--

How long before lifting should a MEAL be consumed?

Does Whey in Water need to be consumed between pre- meal and lifting?

How long after lifting should a post-workout meal be consumed?

Shoulder I take a whey/casein mix between finishing lifting and post-workout meal? Do I need to bring WMS into play at any point?

So confused...

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
All your answers depend on what your overall goals are and what type of training you do. I will just some simple things though:

Really depends on your diet, but a small meal of complex carbs and a complete protein are beneficial. Oatmeal and Whey is one of my favorite here, I usually try to eat it about 1.5 hours before training. The closer I get to training the easier and quicker the food digests, it is not uncommon for me to see my training partner eating a slice of white bread as he is walking into the gym.

No, as long as your pre workout meal had a complete protein you can ditch this. I would suggest a BCAA drink during lifting if you train for long sessions, but again no completely needed.

No longer than 1 hour after your postworkout shake, if utilizing the common postworkout shake protocol. If you want to skip the shake try to eat within 30minutes of leaving the gym.

Shoulder I take a whey/casein mix between finishing lifting and post-workout meal?
Yes, you should definitely give a postworkout shake a try, some love them and some say they are unneeded, but empirically i feel they work very well. Again depending on training style and goals really determines what should be in your shake.

Do I need to bring WMS into play at any point?
Not yet. Get the basics of nutrient timing down first, let your body tell you how you handle carbs post workout. Some people used ground oatmeal, some you simple sugars like malto/dextrose , again depending on you give those a try as a carb source first, then if you are bloating up or not gaining try the WMS down the road.

tattoopierced1

I like eating something like a sweet potato and 50g whey about an hour before I workout, then right after my workout I do 60-70g powdered gatorade and 50g whey. About an hour and a half after that I'll eat a good whole food meal.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All your answers depend on what your overall goals are and what type of training you do. I will just some simple things though:

Really depends on your diet, but a small meal of complex carbs and a complete protein are beneficial. Oatmeal and Whey is one of my favorite here, I usually try to eat it about 1.5 hours before training. The closer I get to training the easier and quicker the food digests, it is not uncommon for me to see my training partner eating a slice of white bread as he is walking into the gym.

No, as long as your pre workout meal had a complete protein you can ditch this. I would suggest a BCAA drink during lifting if you train for long sessions, but again no completely needed.

No longer than 1 hour after your postworkout shake, if utilizing the common postworkout shake protocol. If you want to skip the shake try to eat within 30minutes of leaving the gym.

Shoulder I take a whey/casein mix between finishing lifting and post-workout meal?
Yes, you should definitely give a postworkout shake a try, some love them and some say they are unneeded, but empirically i feel they work very well. Again depending on training style and goals really determines what should be in your shake.

Not yet. Get the basics of nutrient timing down first, let your body tell you how you handle carbs post workout. Some people used ground oatmeal, some you simple sugars like malto/dextrose , again depending on you give those a try as a carb source first, then if you are bloating up or not gaining try the WMS down the road.
Wow amazing post!! I agree w/ everything said in this post. Reps.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to pmiller383 again.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Good post broski.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to pmiller383 again.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established

The man speaks the truth. Great informative post P~

Reps must be spread before I get you again.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
FitJac

FitJac

Awards
Good morning! Boy, just joined AM last night - you guys really know your stuff. Can also feel the love when helping your fellow
man...FitJac, CSN, CPT

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I got my damn fan club in this post...I just wanted reps and this is how it goes. JK

Its funny though, I gave this advice now Im sitting here making this complex intra-workout drink, kind of made me realize I am getting a little out of control lol.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Domenic PMiller laid it out nicely. As a quick personal note, I like to eat a large dose of oatmeal + whey (~100-120g carbs) with an AP/PSlin 90 minutes before working out. Immediately post-WO I have a solid meal. Some of my favourites are soups, like pea, lentil butternut squash (my favourite) etc. that digest relatively fast but are very nutritious. They can be just as convenient as shakes, and be a great variety to keep things interesting.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I got my damn fan club in this post...I just wanted reps and this is how it goes. JK

Its funny though, I gave this advice now Im sitting here making this complex intra-workout drink, kind of made me realize I am getting a little out of control lol.
Of course now you know we're all curious what's in there.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established

I nominate myself for head of the PMiller fan club round table lol. Any one got an idea for a Week 1 topic?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I nominate myself for head of the PMiller fan club round table lol. Any one got an idea for a Week 1 topic?
how do you sit at the head of a round table???

Prepare to duel for the number 1 headband!!(afro samurai if you all don't know why i said headband...)

:duel:

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
how do you sit at the head of a round table???

Prepare to duel for the number 1 headband!!(afro samurai if you all don't know why i said headband...)

:duel:
Because the head of the round table is the guy that the others will die for before the crazy revenge seeking warrior (think Uma in Kill Bill) gets to me and OBVIOUSLY you would all die for me :D.

Afro Ninja is a crazy show, new season starting up soon. It's like The Boondocks meets ninjas.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Of course now you know we're all curious what's in there.
This is my Im feeling burned out so better keep my CNS fresh™ shake:

1 scoop Bodywell First Order
5g leucine
5g BCAA
1g tyrosine
1-2g taurine
4g CEE+Dicreatine Citrate + Tri creatine malate
2 sugar free Hawaiian Punch sticks
24oz cold water
1 scoop posiedon

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
This is my Im feeling burned out so better keep my CNS fresh™ shake:

1 scoop Bodywell First Order
5g leucine
5g BCAA
1g tyrosine
1-2g taurine
4g CEE+Dicreatine Citrate + Tri creatine malate
2 sugar free Hawaiian Punch sticks
24oz cold water
1 scoop posiedon
Legit shake. I'm a big fan of bulk Leucine and Tyrosine. Is this a shake you make daily or just when feeling a little run down?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
I use just got the leucine a couple weeks ago, but everyday I use
Leucine
Bcaa
Creatine
taurine

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Very informative post! I'm giving you some reps, pmiller, as I've been asking myself these same questions for a while now. I just really wanna pinpoint everything since I'm getting back into the gym sometime during the next couple of days.