Brown Rice question..

Saurabh

Awards
So I eat a ton of brown rice as slow-releasing carb source along with sweet potatoes and oatmeal. The one that I generally buy is Uncle Ben's Whole Grain Brown Rice that cooks in about 10-15 minutes.

However it seems that this version of brown rice has lot more starch to it. Too much of it and I get a queasy constipated feeling. On the other hand the "real" brown rice that takes 45-50 minutes to cook never gives me that problem. I suppose it could be because the latter has more fibre.

Question - What brown rice do you folks use?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I eat a ton of brown rice as slow-releasing carb source along with sweet potatoes and oatmeal. The one that I generally buy is Uncle Ben's Whole Grain Brown Rice that cooks in about 10-15 minutes.

However it seems that this version of brown rice has lot more starch to it. Too much of it and I get a queasy constipated feeling. On the other hand the "real" brown rice that takes 45-50 minutes to cook never gives me that problem. I suppose it could be because the latter has more fibre.

Question - What brown rice do you folks use?
Organic's Full Circle Brown Rice (i feel like such a hippy), the type that takes 45-50 min in a rice cooker.

tattoopierced1

i switched from brown rice to quinoa a while back. Takes about 20 minutes to cook, a little longer than the instant rice, but it is good stuff.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Wegman's instant brown rice. I don't cook it though, I just let it sit in warm water over night and when I wake up the next day I have fluffy rice, I just like my rice cold though.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Doesn't cooking your rice that long increase its GI? I remember reading something about the GI values increasing with any sort of cooking, processing, etc.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Instant rice is already partially cooked and then dehydrated, thats why my method of just soaking it works to, the heat cause a rise it pressure which just makes the re hydration process quicker. By not cooking the rice at all, you will have a lower GI, but chances are you will not absorb many of the nutrients and end up pooping it out.

jon1026

jon1026

Awards
I get mine from an Asian food market. A 20 lb. bag(Nishiki brand) for 16 bucks!

joelast

joelast

Awards
I also eat the instant Uncle Bens wild rice, good stuff but theres enough sodium in there to kill a small child