Brown Rice question..

1. Brown Rice question..

So I eat a ton of brown rice as slow-releasing carb source along with sweet potatoes and oatmeal. The one that I generally buy is Uncle Ben's Whole Grain Brown Rice that cooks in about 10-15 minutes.

However it seems that this version of brown rice has lot more starch to it. Too much of it and I get a queasy constipated feeling. On the other hand the "real" brown rice that takes 45-50 minutes to cook never gives me that problem. I suppose it could be because the latter has more fibre.

Question - What brown rice do you folks use?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Saurabh View Post
    So I eat a ton of brown rice as slow-releasing carb source along with sweet potatoes and oatmeal. The one that I generally buy is Uncle Ben's Whole Grain Brown Rice that cooks in about 10-15 minutes.

However it seems that this version of brown rice has lot more starch to it. Too much of it and I get a queasy constipated feeling. On the other hand the "real" brown rice that takes 45-50 minutes to cook never gives me that problem. I suppose it could be because the latter has more fibre.

Question - What brown rice do you folks use?
    Organic's Full Circle Brown Rice (i feel like such a hippy), the type that takes 45-50 min in a rice cooker.
    NSCA - CSCS
    •   

3. tattoopierced1

i switched from brown rice to quinoa a while back. Takes about 20 minutes to cook, a little longer than the instant rice, but it is good stuff.

4. Wegman's instant brown rice. I don't cook it though, I just let it sit in warm water over night and when I wake up the next day I have fluffy rice, I just like my rice cold though.
    Muscle Pharm Rep

5. Doesn't cooking your rice that long increase its GI? I remember reading something about the GI values increasing with any sort of cooking, processing, etc.
    •   

6. Instant rice is already partially cooked and then dehydrated, thats why my method of just soaking it works to, the heat cause a rise it pressure which just makes the re hydration process quicker. By not cooking the rice at all, you will have a lower GI, but chances are you will not absorb many of the nutrients and end up pooping it out.
    Muscle Pharm Rep

7. I get mine from an Asian food market. A 20 lb. bag(Nishiki brand) for 16 bucks!

8. I also eat the instant Uncle Bens wild rice, good stuff but theres enough sodium in there to kill a small child
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. More Brown Rice Less White Rice Could Reduce Diabetes Risk
    By MAxximal in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 05:36 PM
  2. Brown rice VS White rice
    By TipTopShape in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-15-2010, 03:48 PM
  3. Whire rice or brown rice??
    By doclegion in forum Nutrition / Health