No Carbs?

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I've been restricting carbs, however, I don't really carb load. I am cutting down to as low body fat as possible.

What are the down sides of carb restricting?

I am not noticing muscle loss, but I feel somewhat drained and I'm not sure, but my libido doesn't seem up to par.

I don't take in many good fats either.

This is the first time I've ever restricted carbs, and I'm making GREAT progress in the fat loss department. I want to get as lean as possible before starting a REALLY clean bulk.

I'm wondering if I should add carbs and/or good fats in? If so, what is the minimum to where I can still cut body fat? I know it's kind of vague, but just looking for what would be best right now. All advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Stats:

Weight: 161
Height: 5'7"

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
good fats. you can live off no carbs indefinitely, but total caloric intake is total caloric intake... so take in more coconut, olive and other healthy oils to make up some of hte the deficit.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
without carbs and healthy fats, expect to feel lethargic, as protein is your only fuel source at this point and your body only breaks down protein as its last resort. You really do need the healthy fats,
as long as your calorie intake is a couple hundered below whatever the maintenance number for your age/weight/height, and you're exercising, you will lose weight (well, bodyfat at least) but by taking in no carbs/fats whatsoever you're only sabotaging your results, and I seriously doubt you'll last long on that kind of diet without eventually binging, which will be bad.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
Right on. Thanks for the replies. I can feel myself starting to crash.

Do you guys think that adding carbs could aid in my libido issue and help promote more fat loss? I've made such great gains without them and my energy levels aren't bad, just feel a little 'off'.

I started eating more healthy fats yesterday (Almonds, Natty PB).

Based on my stats, how many grams of these fats should I consume a day?

So as far as good fats, would unsalted nuts (any specific kind?), Peanut Butter, an Omega-3, -6, and -9 oil work?

Another question. Should I limit these to specific times of the day?

How about as far as post and pre-workout goes? Good idea to take fats then? Still ok to have no carbs pre or post workout?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to do this right. I want to promote fat loss and try to get my libido back to where it was. I appreciate it.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the carbs may help libido (may not) but will not help promote more fat loss, it can reduce how much you are loosing.

Really its more about your total calories, so i'm just throwing out there maybe you want to target 1800 cal a day, so subtract what you take in proteinwise, and make up the difference in fats.

unsalted nuts, peanut butter, omega 3/6/9 oils work, there are a bit of carbs in some nuts. Coconut oil and olive oil also work.

no need to limit the fat intake to certain parts of the day, they could be with meals or apart from them.

if you want to take in some carbs pre+post workout that should be ok, just don't go totally crazy :) thats the safest time to take in carbs when you are going for fat loss.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
+repped

Thanks a bunch, really informative and helped a bunch.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
One more thing. Is it a bad idea to take good fats pre and/or post workout along with protein? I read somewhere that when cutting, it's not a good idea.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
And when you say 'no carbs', you mean none at all, right? No simple, complex, fiber (veggies), etc.? Just checking because I was just reading how these aren't always regarded as carbs.

I haven't been taking in any of those.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't see an issue with fats pre/post, a number of post workout mixes have some amount of fat in them.

fibrous carbs are ok. taking in some amount of fiber is good as it will help keep you "regular". broccoli, celery, cabbage, asparagus are all good for that, or just psyllium husks or benefiber in a shake. basically carbs from those are more or less "trace" carbs, in that its not a significant amount. Particularly when you eat them with protein or fat, you get very minimal insulin release

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I don't see an issue with fats pre/post, a number of post workout mixes have some amount of fat in them.

fibrous carbs are ok. taking in some amount of fiber is good as it will help keep you "regular". broccoli, celery, cabbage, asparagus are all good for that, or just psyllium husks or benefiber in a shake. basically carbs from those are more or less "trace" carbs, in that its not a significant amount. Particularly when you eat them with protein or fat, you get very minimal insulin release
I usually have broccoli and take these fiber tabs so I crap more than once every 2 weeks. :dump: :lol:

As always, thanks man.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
for me its psyllium husks in shakes :) plus too much coffee ;)

illfoo

Awards
As far as libido goes, trying upping your saturated fat content. I used to go through a ton of EVOO (I still do), but once I substituted some sat. fat in, my libido has been through the roof. Just a thought.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
Whole eggs help libido, not carbs.
I recently read that somewhere Emo. Since I could use some added fat in my diet I'll start eating the yolk in my hard boiled eggs instead of throwing them away. Thanks.

epixep

epixep

Awards
Anabolic Pump and/or P-slin bro. Not eating carbs sucks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
solomon-chan Weight Loss 15
Supplements 22
Nutrition / Health 7
cruze1911r1 Nutrition / Health 38
Anabolics 23