Frustrated with diet results. Need some advice

spoofy

Awards
Over the past 6 weeks I've followed a very strict diet without a single day of cheating and my gains have been shitty at best. I focused on low GI foods with low calories and working out at least 4 times a week.

Here is the diet.

breakfast
4 eggs + cheese + turkey + salsa

snack
sliced turkey

lunch
chicken breast + veggies

snack
cheese of my choice

dinner
10oz salmon + veggies

Before Bed
100% whey shake in water

** I also take fish oil, mutli's and clen

According to fitday this works out to around 1500 cals a day. I started 6 weeks ago at 219 with a 21% bodyfat and I am now 208 with a 21% bodyfat.

what the hell is wrong with me? :rant:

I attached a PDF of my results tracking

Attachments

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Well those results confused me a bit since you had your LBM go from 171 to 163. Also you say your 20% body fat with a 35 inch waist? Either your calculations are off or something is askew.

Overall at 220 you are way to low at 1500 calories, your body is in a fight called starvation and holding onto body fat (although I am surprised you still aren't noticing more OVERALL weight loss.)

What is your current training regiment look like? How long have you been eating clean and training (Did you all of a sudden just jump down to 1500 cals from where you were at before week 1?) Have you had any supplement experience prior to Clen?

spoofy

Awards
Ignore the waist measurement. It is really a measurement of my Stomach from the belly button around to my back. My actual waist measurement is far less i wear a size 32" pant so.. it should be around there somewhere.

The bf measurement is using some device i got online they are basically battery powered calipers that do the math for you. My measuring technique may be off since the trainer at 24 hour fitness measured me at 19% last week.

My diet before this was at 2400 cals which was suggested for weight loss but at that intake level I didn't lose any weight for 4 weeks. So I turned to a more drastic diet and went to 1200 which also didn't offer any results. I went up to 1500 and started noticing results and I've stuck with that for a while.

I've used supplements for a while and had a brief time with pro hormones a few years ago. I've been training for years (6) but I've never tried a serious cut.. it has always been bulking. Then I stopped lifting for a while due to work and weight remained the same but bf% increased which is why I am cutting now.

So I've been trying various things to see what works for me in cutting.

Well those results confused me a bit since you had your LBM go from 171 to 163. Also you say your 20% body fat with a 35 inch waist? Either your calculations are off or something is askew.

Overall at 220 you are way to low at 1500 calories, your body is in a fight called starvation and holding onto body fat (although I am surprised you still aren't noticing more OVERALL weight loss.)

What is your current training regiment look like? How long have you been eating clean and training (Did you all of a sudden just jump down to 1500 cals from where you were at before week 1?) Have you had any supplement experience prior to Clen?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Was the 2400 calories a no carb diet as well? Also what does your training look like?

spoofy

Awards
Was the 2400 calories a no carb diet as well? Also what does your training look like?

This diet isn't a no-carb diet per se' but rather a low-gi diet.. basically all my carbs on this diet come from veggies only.

The previous diet was a 40/40/20 diet. Carb sources were brown rice, veggies, oatmeal and fruit. I also used more supplements (muscle milk) then i do now. So it did differ from my current diet in some ways but still was rather healthy.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Why arent you cheating?

some of the best results i've ever gotten during a cycle was with taking a meal or two out of the week to have whatever I want.

Shocking your system isn't always all bad...in fact...it usually helps. Same as with your routine. I change mine every 3-4 weeks.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Then I stopped lifting for a while due to work and weight remained the same but bf% increased which is why I am cutting now.

So I've been trying various things to see what works for me in cutting.
So what are you doing for exercise?

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This diet isn't a no-carb diet per se' but rather a low-gi diet.. basically all my carbs on this diet come from veggies only.
What are you calling veggies? If it's greens, peppers, onions, etc then you are on a no-carb diet because those carbs (cellulose aka fiber) are not biologically-available energy to humans.

spoofy

Awards
So what are you doing for exercise?
Sunday (legs)

Squats 3x10
Leg press 3x10
Leg extensions 3x10
calves 3x15

monday (chest day)

Flat bench 3x10
incline 3x10
decline 3x10
flys 3x10

Tuesday (delts,traps)

Arnold Press 3x10
BB press 3x10
DB lateral raise and front raise superset 3x10
Shrugs 3x10

Weds (Ab day/easy day)

no real need to go into much detail here.. this is a easy day where i do a bunch of random ab stuff

Thursday (arms)
Dips 3x10
Db Curls 3x10
BB curls 3x10
Skull crushers 3x10

spoofy

Awards
What are you calling veggies? If it's greens, peppers, onions, etc then you are on a no-carb diet because those carbs (cellulose aka fiber) are not biologically-available energy to humans.

The past few months it has solely been broccoli but before that it was the bags of frozen mixed vegetables you get in the grocery store

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
That is basically a low carb diet/keto diet with no refeeds. Sounds like you would be better off adding in some carbs and bumping up the calories. That plus adding in some cardio to your training should help jump start the fat loss (also if you like low carb diets look into trying out the Anabolic Diet or a CKD diet.)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cardio, cardio, cardio. If that does not work...did I mention cardio?

spoofy

Awards
Why arent you cheating?

some of the best results i've ever gotten during a cycle was with taking a meal or two out of the week to have whatever I want.

Shocking your system isn't always all bad...in fact...it usually helps. Same as with your routine. I change mine every 3-4 weeks.

How often should a cheat? 1 bad meal a week? 1 bad meal every 2 weeks?

Also how bad should be cheat meal be? Can i just go all out and hit up a buffet or something?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established

Also how bad should be cheat meal be? Can i just go all out and hit up a buffet or something?
Cheating is really a personal thing and dependant on your goals (since you are on a low carb diet I would say it would be a good idea to help jump start your metabolism, keep cravings low, and bump up your Leptin levels.) If you have a substantial amount of fat to loose still than once every 2-3 weeks would be fine. I personally go no carb all week and then carb up on Saturday (800 grams worth.)

Some diets/people will advocate allowing your self anything on these days. Pizza, beer, anything. Now although you will still probably still have a net lose of weight for the week I personally find all out binge days as part of a weight loss period a waste of time. I am eating healthy on Saturday during my carb ups and still loving all the food I eat (and I know how many calories I'm putting into my body to avoid any unnecessary fat gain.)

Again its up to you how you run your diet but thats my .02

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established

When I have my rewards meal *I don't like to call it cheat...since you are just rewarding yourself for a job well done* I usually have what i've desired most for the week. A lot of times it ends up being either Chinese Food or Fried Chicken.

I do it once a week to keep my system guessing...sometimes when I feel i've plateaued, I do it a full day a week.

I've lost upwards of 70 lbs doing things this way...but I guess not all works for everyone. So try it out for a month and compare results.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cheating is really a personal thing and dependant on your goals (since you are on a low carb diet I would say it would be a good idea to help jump start your metabolism, keep cravings low, and bump up your Leptin levels.) If you have a substantial amount of fat to loose still than once every 2-3 weeks would be fine. I personally go no carb all week and then carb up on Saturday (800 grams worth.)

Some diets/people will advocate allowing your self anything on these days. Pizza, beer, anything. Now although you will still probably still have a net lose of weight for the week I personally find all out binge days as part of a weight loss period a waste of time. I am eating healthy on Saturday during my carb ups and still loving all the food I eat (and I know how many calories I'm putting into my body to avoid any unnecessary fat gain.)

Again its up to you how you run your diet but thats my .02
You sound like a student of mine...:D I'm not a teacher but you got your sh1t straight brother.

You would be better served to REFEED with qulaity complex carbohydrates that FEED your depleted muscles much needed glycogen and elevate Leptin.

Eating sh1t food will give you the psychological relief, some increased calories, but not much to FEED your body. You may find some success but as OCC mentioned when you cheat you do not have a plan, when you refeed you do. Plan, don't cheat.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
You sound like a student of mine...:D I'm not a teacher but you got your sh1t straight brother.

You would be better served to REFEED with qulaity complex carbohydrates that FEED your depleted muscles much needed glycogen and elevate Leptin.

Eating sh1t food will give you the psychological relief, some increased calories, but not much to FEED your body. You may find some success but as OCC mentioned when you cheat you do not have a plan, when you refeed you do. Plan, don't cheat.
Thanks man. Honestly I agree with everything else you added. A refeed day and cheat day are two completely different things in my book. Cheats day are for thanksgiving and special days, refeeds are to ensure maximum training capacity and nutrients for your body. Theres no reason to take 2 steps forward and 1 step back every week.

I honestly love my refeed days though. My favorite meal (and the "least healthy" but still quality) is 4 cups of raisin bran, 2 bananas, 4 cups milk (this is the 2nd meal after the depletion workout.) SOOOOOOOOOOOO good.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks man. Honestly I agree with everything else you added. A refeed day and cheat day are two completely different things in my book. Cheats day are for thanksgiving and special days, refeeds are to ensure maximum training capacity and nutrients for your body. Theres no reason to take 2 steps forward and 1 step back every week.

I honestly love my refeed days though. My favorite meal (and the "least healthy" but still quality) is 4 cups of raisin bran, 2 bananas, 4 cups milk (this is the 2nd meal after the depletion workout.) SOOOOOOOOOOOO good.
I agree with the points being made about these differences. I also think that meal you just mentioned sounds really good!

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Try an entire cheat day once every two weeks. Cheat days or huge cheat meals are how I break plateaus.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the points being made about these differences. I also think that meal you just mentioned sounds really good!
At the moment it's the highlight of my week (How pathetic is that lol)

spoofy

Awards
I have a few more questions...

1.) What is a good ratio of muscle to fat loss? Naturally we would all prefer not to drop any muscle but what is realistic?

2.) My friend suggested that I am simply not patient enough. 10lbs of weight loss in 6 weeks is fairly good (although if my bf measurement is true 5lbs of that is muscle). So the question is what should be my target % BF dropped per week...or every 2 weeks? Is there any way to calculate this?

spoofy

Awards
Also, I revised my diet a bit. I added fruit (apples or berries) to my breakfast and added some low fat yogurt before my workouts. It has helped my performance in the gym quite a bit.

I also have to go out of town friday/saturday for a BB king concern so I will cheat a bit on those days to shock my system.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Shoot to lose 2lbs a week until you start flatlining. Your protein intake will determine what ratio you lose basically. Gotta keep it high while maintaining calories.