Flawless Cutting on AD

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I've been cutting, and I'm slowly transitioning in to less and less calories below maintenance. Right now I'm around 700-800 per day, and I'm keep the fats and protein high, and carbs under 30, obviously.

My question is on carb ups, does the carb type matter because it's all going to glycogen?

I was thinking about using lower GI carbs, with more fiber, like oatmeal, healthier cereals, fruits sparringly because of the fructose issue, and sweet potatoes (seriously, who the hell eats these on a carb up?)

I was also thinking about priming each meal with anabolic pump, 1-2 pills 15 minutes before hand.

Also, should the refeeds be shorter, or less intense? Right now I shoot for 4 semi large carb meals in the span of 12-16 hours. This usually nets 800 carbs, and I think my glycogen reserves can hold 16 X kg in LBM, which would be around 90, so a totally glycogen depleted me could store 1440 carbs in 24 hours, and 800 in 12 hours, or which plus maintenance cals means I could eat 6500 calories a day and gain ZERO fat. More realistically I still have some glycogen, so I could round it down to 700, and I could still eat around 6000 calories, assuming 2800 were carbs, and gain zero fat, plus get the metabolic boost.

On the flip side, if the refeeds where more intensive, I'd get a larger metabolic boost which would set me up nicely for the low cal low carb days.

What do you think?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not on the Metabolic Diet anymore but had been for years. I really don't see the point of eating lower GI carbs on carb up, you only eat them once a week so it doesn't matter really. What you have to watch out for on carb ups is eating too large of a meal, because of the surge of insulin. You are right about the carb ups helping you on the lower carb days. You NEED to eat more on carb ups to make the diet work better by increasing leptin!. You should though, eat smaller meals more often....I think your low carb days of 700-800 calories a day are too low, I know because I got in that habbit also. Often during the week you are just not hungry. Make sure to eat every two to three hours, Make sure you have some fiberous veggie with each meal....

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I'm not on the Metabolic Diet anymore but had been for years. I really don't see the point of eating lower GI carbs on carb up, you only eat them once a week so it doesn't matter really. What you have to watch out for on carb ups is eating too large of a meal, because of the surge of insulin. You are right about the carb ups helping you on the lower carb days. You NEED to eat more on carb ups to make the diet work better by increasing leptin!. You should though, eat smaller meals more often....I think your low carb days of 700-800 calories a day are too low, I know because I got in that habbit also. Often during the week you are just not hungry. Make sure to eat every two to three hours, Make sure you have some fiberous veggie with each meal....

Thanks for the informative post. Reps.

By 700-800, I meant below maintenance. I eat around 2500 calories a day on low calorie days, and this for me is where I feel if I go any lower, I'd lose LBM.

My first carb meal always ends up being pretty big, but the rest are smaller. It seems that anabolic pump + lower GI carbs could reduce the insulin spike of the first meal, if it were larger.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the informative post. Reps.

By 700-800, I meant below maintenance. I eat around 2500 calories a day on low calorie days, and this for me is where I feel if I go any lower, I'd lose LBM.

My first carb meal always ends up being pretty big, but the rest are smaller. It seems that anabolic pump + lower GI carbs could reduce the insulin spike of the first meal, if it were larger.

Don't worry about the lower GI carbs, especially if you are gonna use Anabolic Pump on carb ups. I used Anabolic Pump on the Metabolic Diet on both the carb ups and low carb days, it worked exceptionally well.

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
But couldn't eating higher GI carbs cause an increase in insulin? From what I've read and experienced, eating higher GI would cause a quicker spike in insulin levels, whereas the lower GI would secreat a slower steady release of insulin. Just my two cents. I'm not trying to keep you from actually enjoying the weekends lol, just figured I'd ask.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Don't worry about the lower GI carbs, especially if you are gonna use Anabolic Pump on carb ups. I used Anabolic Pump on the Metabolic Diet on both the carb ups and low carb days, it worked exceptionally well.

AP on low carb days? But why?

That must have been REALLY expensive.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Recently I have switched from eating almost all low GI carbs during the carb ups to almost all high GI carbs during the carb ups. I am seeing better results with the high GI carbs than I had with the low, and I've held everything else about my diet constant except for the carbs. The carb up will be shorter and more intense when you use the high GI carbs. I think you should experiment with the high GI carbs and keep your carb up to about 12 hours rather than 16. Lately I've been having a large oreo shake from an ice cream shop in town each carb up and its one of those foods where I can feel my muscles are filling up. Plus, high GI carbs are tasty!

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
But couldn't eating higher GI carbs cause an increase in insulin? From what I've read and experienced, eating higher GI would cause a quicker spike in insulin levels, whereas the lower GI would secreat a slower steady release of insulin. Just my two cents. I'm not trying to keep you from actually enjoying the weekends lol, just figured I'd ask.
It will make the carb up shorter and more intense, yes. But as long as you're eating your high GI carbs with enough fat you should still have a steady release of insulin.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
AP worked for me on a high carb diet, but makes me a bloated mofo when I use it during my carb ups on the AD.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
May I ask what prompted you to switch diets, T-Bone?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
May I ask what prompted you to switch diets, T-Bone?

Its just that I had been on it for around 5 years. Just got sick of it really. Sick of eating chicken, cheese, steak, chicken, lamb, more chicken, ham, chicken, with a side of chicken....Sure it works great, but try being on it for 5 years straight.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Its just that I had been on it for around 5 years. Just got sick of it really. Sick of eating chicken, cheese, steak, chicken, lamb, more chicken, ham, chicken, with a side of chicken....Sure it works great, but try being on it for 5 years straight.
Lol, and is that a picture of chicken I see in your Avy? I can only imagine being on this diet for 5 years would get a bit stale. I have only been on it for about a half a year and if I don't switch up the meat choices often then eating becomes more of a chore than something I enjoy.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol, and is that a picture of chicken I see in your Avy? I can only imagine being on this diet for 5 years would get a bit stale. I have only been on it for about a half a year and if I don't switch up the meat choices often then eating becomes more of a chore than something I enjoy.

It is salmon, brown rice, and broccoli.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What kind of results have you had on the cut?

I am about to start cutting this monday. Hoping for good results. Really wanna get shredded for summer.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
What kind of results have you had on the cut?

I am about to start cutting this monday. Hoping for good results. Really wanna get shredded for summer.

I'm losing around 1.5-2 lb's of fat a week. I need to consistently do this for 3 months.

I'm also on ECA stack, and Lean Xtreme, and Activate, and Beta Alinine, and Peg-MGF... so we'll see what happens. I've givin myself more rest between training days, but keeping the weights heavy as I cut.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm losing around 1.5-2 lb's of fat a week. I need to consistently do this for 3 months.

I'm also on ECA stack, and Lean Xtreme, and Activate, and Beta Alinine, and Peg-MGF... so we'll see what happens. I've givin myself more rest between training days, but keeping the weights heavy as I cut.
Id be happy with that type of loss. Hopefully i respond to it as well as u. I just need to drop 10lbs or so, that i picked up over this winter "bulk" Id like to try and get sub 10% for the first time ever.lol

I plan to run Lev.Reloaded, DCP, and retain 2. Plus i have a few bottles of drive, and RPM i will use further into the cut.

Keep up the good work!

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Id be happy with that type of loss. Hopefully i respond to it as well as u. I just need to drop 10lbs or so, that i picked up over this winter "bulk" Id like to try and get sub 10% for the first time ever.lol

I plan to run Lev.Reloaded, DCP, and retain 2. Plus i have a few bottles of drive, and RPM i will use further into the cut.

Keep up the good work!

To cut, obviously your cals need to be lower... low enough that you find yourself hungry more often. Cortisol lowering supplements reduce appetite. When you get hungry for a snack, drink BCAA's. So eat a meal, bcaa's snack and maybe some brocolli, then another meal, then bcaa's, etc.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
To cut, obviously your cals need to be lower... low enough that you find yourself hungry more often. Cortisol lowering supplements reduce appetite. When you get hungry for a snack, drink BCAA's. So eat a meal, bcaa's snack and maybe some brocolli, then another meal, then bcaa's, etc.
Normally when i cut i would eat about 2500-2900 cals, fluctuating through the week. I typically lose 2lbs a week. That is eating about 200g carbs a day. This will be my first time cutting with the AD.

I notice i am fuller on the AD. I dont see eating 2500 cals, and being overly hungry. I just hope the fat comes off.

I am going to start at the exact same cals i do when cutting normally, and take it from there.

Do you find ur food choice(low carb) impacts what you lose per week?

Thanks for the advice.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Normally when i cut i would eat about 2500-2900 cals, fluctuating through the week. I typically lose 2lbs a week. That is eating about 200g carbs a day. This will be my first time cutting with the AD.

I notice i am fuller on the AD. I dont see eating 2500 cals, and being overly hungry. I just hope the fat comes off.

I am going to start at the exact same cals i do when cutting normally, and take it from there.

Thanks for the advice.

Food choice has some effect, but I don't see it making a huge difference in overall results. Obviously you need to eat some things like fish oils and fiber so you feel good.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established

Thanks for the advice.

You may lose the 10 lb's of fat during the first month of AD, and this is at maintenance level cals.....

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You may lose the 10 lb's of fat during the first month of AD, and this is at maintenance level cals.....
I have been on the AD for the last 4months or so, but been bulking..

This will be my first time cutting on it.. Wish me luck..lol

Ya, fish oil, and fiber are my friends..lol

Thanks again!

KSMA

KSMA

Awards
Glad someone else was wondering about this too. What I have been doing is a large carb up day on saturday with about a 60/40 to 70/30 mix of high/low gi totalling about 500 to 600 g of carbs. Then sunday change the ratio to 20/80 high/low gi totalling about 300g. 300g is about 50g higher then what I would eat daily if trying to maintain. The idea behind it was eat alot spread over saturday high gi to spike the insulin and the low gi to help sustain. Then Sunday less high GI to reduce how high the spikes are. When I was did two solid days of High gi carbs I felt terrible on monday and tuesday and had bad cravings. tapering down the amount and switching to low gi's on sunday has helped alot.

EDIT: If this line of thought makes absolutely no sense please feel free to set me straight. It would be much appreciated.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Glad someone else was wondering about this too. What I have been doing is a large carb up day on saturday with about a 60/40 to 70/30 mix of high/low gi totalling about 500 to 600 g of carbs. Then sunday change the ratio to 20/80 high/low gi totalling about 300g. 300g is about 50g higher then what I would eat daily if trying to maintain. The idea behind it was eat alot spread over saturday high gi to spike the insulin and the low gi to help sustain. Then Sunday less high GI to reduce how high the spikes are. When I was did two solid days of High gi carbs I felt terrible on monday and tuesday and had bad cravings. tapering down the amount and switching to low gi's on sunday has helped alot.

EDIT: If this line of thought makes absolutely no sense please feel free to set me straight. It would be much appreciated.
No this makes sense and I've heard of people doing something similar or even the reverse of what you have listed. Some people like to eat fruit on saturday and low GI stuff like pasta on sunday, or visa versa. I've heard arguments for both ways. It's best to find what works for you, which it looks like you have done. I personally get cravings pretty bad on mondays when my carb ups last both saturday and sunday regardless of what type of carbs I eat. Limiting my carb ups to the last 2 meals of wednesday night and a full day saturday have gotten rid of this craving and has also leaned me up pretty nicely.
Speaking of leaning up, right now I'm in the 6th week of a 7 week cycle finishing off with Phera-Plex and the results have been awesome. I started probably somewhere around 14-15% bodyfat and now I'm at the same weight as when I started but I have a complete outline of my abs and have added some strength and size to my whole body. Getting completely shredded for summer will hopefully only take me about 4-6 weeks after PCT.

bj22

Awards
Is it necessary to wait a month before lowering cals below maintenance? I just started the AD and was looking to use it to cut before the summer. I really only want to be on it for 2 months. Can I start lowering cals in 2 weeks or will this run the risk of losing muscle mass?

KSMA

KSMA

Awards
Is it necessary to wait a month before lowering cals below maintenance? I just started the AD and was looking to use it to cut before the summer. I really only want to be on it for 2 months. Can I start lowering cals in 2 weeks or will this run the risk of losing muscle mass?
I would say yes. I am week 5 now and still havent gone below maintenance. So far my bf is down 2% and my last bicep measurements were up almost a full 1/4 inch. I dont think going below is necessary, but may speed up the process. i will be going below next week.

another thing to mention - after that 12 day intro and my first carb up the following low carb week I was starving all the time, the next week was a little better and so on. I think appetite may be another reason you are supposed to wait, that way you are not below maintenance and feeling extremely hungry. at least for me that would lead to cheating.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
You may want to consider a different variation of the low carb/high fat diet. The AD is a lifestyle change and is not meant to be just a 2 month deal.