Anabolic Diet'ers: Eat pre workout, or not?

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I work out when I get up in the morning so I drink about 26 grams whey in water about 1/2 hour before workout. After workout I take 52 grams immediately after.

powerhouse21

Awards
  • Established
I always eat something before a workout. Usually a piece of eziekel bread with some natty pb and i drink some xtend as well. Seems to do the trick for me

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I personally like training on an empty stomach when doing these type of diets. When I get home I'll take in 1 scoop when then 12-20 minutes later 1.5 tbsp of flax.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I personally like training on an empty stomach when doing these type of diets. When I get home I'll take in 1 scoop when then 12-20 minutes later 1.5 tbsp of flax.
I always ate a meal Pre workout.

On the advice on Distilled Water, i stopped eating pre workout meals about 2+ months ago. Honestly i think i like working out better now that way.

I believe Di Pasquale said not to ingest any carbs pre workout, no?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established

On the advice on Distilled Water, i stopped eating pre workout meals about 2+ months ago. Honestly i think i like working out better now that way.

Well personally I love carbs pre workout (around 1 to 1.5 hours before hand) but since I'm on a CKD so I just train on an empty stomach for depletion purposes and fat loss.

flw

flw

Awards
carbs and aminos before work great, protein makes me slugish if its any closer than an hour or two.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established

By Di Pasquale's recommendations if you work out in the morning then you may work out fasted if you prefer. The reason for doing this is that you may have more energy for working out since the body is not expending as much energy digesting all of the fat that you eat on this diet.
Someone in this thread suggested that they workout fasted on a CKD because of the depletion and fat loss benefits. This is a false statement as you will get the same depletion/fat loss benefits on a CKD or low carb variant such as the AD regardless of whether or not you eat pre workout (unless you are working out on a carb up day). It is when you ingest carbohydrates and begin releasing insulin preworkout that you can offset depletion and fat loss. For this reason, it also does not matter when you choose to do cardio during the day on this diet as you will achieve the same fat loss benefits regardless of whether or not you do it fasted.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
By Di Pasquale's recommendations if you work out in the morning then you may work out fasted if you prefer. The reason for doing this is that you may have more energy for working out since the body is not expending as much energy digesting all of the fat that you eat on this diet.
Someone in this thread suggested that they workout fasted on a CKD because of the depletion and fat loss benefits. This is a false statement as you will get the same depletion/fat loss benefits on a CKD or low carb variant such as the AD regardless of whether or not you eat pre workout (unless you are working out on a carb up day). It is when you ingest carbohydrates and begin releasing insulin preworkout that you can offset depletion and fat loss. For this reason, it also does not matter when you choose to do cardio during the day on this diet as you will achieve the same fat loss benefits regardless of whether or not you do it fasted.
I find I enter Ketosis faster when I perform all workouts fasted when depleting. Protein can cause insulin release and also be utilized for fuel and I find my body depletes more efficiently when training empty stomach. Not saying its the same for everyone but thats what I have found.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good info..

I work out first thing in the morning..

For the first month or so on the AD i would drink 1.5 scoop whey/2tbsp EVOO before working out. It was hard for me to stop my pre workout meal, but i actually like it better now to be honest.

My only problem is it is a bit harder to get down all the cals losing that time not eating.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Good info..

I work out first thing in the morning..

For the first month or so on the AD i would drink 1.5 scoop whey/2tbsp EVOO before working out. It was hard for me to stop my pre workout meal, but i actually like it better now to be honest.

My only problem is it is a bit harder to get down all the cals losing that time not eating.
It can be hard to take in a lot of cals in a short period of time eating all the fat that the AD requires. I have found that for myself I see the best results by spreading my meals as evenly throughout the day as possible, with the exception being post workout. But if I ever switched my workouts to first thing in the morning I would give the fasted workouts a try. This may be difficult for me though because my workouts last about 2 hrs on average.