1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.6%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Subway salad wrt low-carb diet

I was out of town for the weekend visiting in-laws. They live in the middle of nowhere, and I was unprepared for the limitations on food availability wrt my current low-carb diet. They did have a Subway and a McDonalds (as well as a couple gas stations) within 15 min driving.

I decided to stick w/ a lot of beef jerky and cheese from the gas stations and Subway salads.

Anywhoo... I got grilled/broiled? chicken, iceburg lettuce, spinache leaves, black olives, yellow peppers, salt and pepper, and oil and vinegar on my salad (forgot about adding cheese).

Is this salad okay wrt low-carbing? Any better way to have it made?

I'm just wondering because my wife always wants Subway, but I avoid it because it's based on breaded sandwhiches (forgot that they made salads, too). So, I may start getting them more often if they are okay for my diet.

Thanks.

2. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.05%

Even with some huge portions I imagine your still <20 net carbs for that salad

I looked on fitday.com and it looks like the black olives would have the most carbs in them as its about 4 net CHOs for every cup of them.

I personally use blue cheese dressing while on my CKD, I just look for the ones w/ ~2g of carbs for every 2 tablespoons. I know I could use a healthier dressing but its full of fats and I cut out all the other foods I love so I have to treat myself a little bit.

I have eaten mcdonalds while on my CKD ( not proud of it ) but I ate a double chz burger w/ only mayo and chz without the bun and a salad w/ an extra grilled ckn ( didnt eat the carrots of tomatos ). The vinegrette dressing had the most carbs in it, something ~8g net.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.6%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Thanks for the input.

I doubt there were more than 1/2 cup of olives (cheap ***** LOL). I didn't think about the vinegar being 'vinegarette'... I just assumed it was plain vinegar (guess that would taste nasty, huh). Okay, so no more vinegar? Maybe use blue cheese and some olive oil.

Also, someone told me that low-carbing was more about controlling insulin than counting carbs. So, even if the salad was 20g of carbs (mostly fiber), it would have minimal impact on insulin, therefore, not totally ruining my efforts. I stay away from most fruits (I primarily only eat apples, and that is sparingly) and higher starch/sugar veggies like tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, etc (I stick to mostly 'green' veggies like broccoli, spinach, etc.)

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by JDF View Post
    Even with some huge portions I imagine your still <20 net carbs for that salad

I looked on fitday.com and it looks like the black olives would have the most carbs in them as its about 4 net CHOs for every cup of them.

I personally use blue cheese dressing while on my CKD, I just look for the ones w/ ~2g of carbs for every 2 tablespoons. I know I could use a healthier dressing but its full of fats and I cut out all the other foods I love so I have to treat myself a little bit.

I have eaten mcdonalds while on my CKD ( not proud of it ) but I ate a double chz burger w/ only mayo and chz without the bun and a salad w/ an extra grilled ckn ( didnt eat the carrots of tomatos ). The vinegrette dressing had the most carbs in it, something ~8g net.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.05%

I like the blue cheese but I also have south beach ranch which is full of mono- and poly- unsaturated fats as opposed to more saturated fats.

I stay away from most veggies as well unless they're green and leafy ( sometimes broccoli and cauliflower ).

I believe the diet is about controlling your insulin, now that i've been on this diet I eat ~500calories at my actual meals, ~ 250 for snaks, and I feel not full but not hungry - just satisfied.

Sounds like you have the right idea here, I was eating a lot of steak at the beginning of the diet and taking in around 3600calories a day but since then i've dropped my numbers to around 2300 a day and started to eat more chicken.

Keep a log and track your food, thats how I really tuned in on my diet and figured out what I should be eating and when.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Low Carb Taco Salad
    By Doc Holliday in forum Recipes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-16-2010, 03:06 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 02:02 AM
  3. Low Fat Low Carb salad dressings?
    By Moyer in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-10-2006, 12:43 PM
  4. low carb diet