Last meal before bed Fish or Whey?

  1. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.51%

    Last meal before bed Fish or Whey?


    I usually have 2 fillet fish with a cup of broccoli 30-45 minutes before bed. I was wondering if I took a Protein shake/casein/Time released, would it make a difference between a shake and whole food, and if anyone else does this?

  2. Registered User
    OCCFan023's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,789
    Rep Power
    2003
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    48.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    A rich EFA fish fillet and broccoli is one of the best pre bed meals you could take in. Most people that take in casein shakes before bed for ease/taste (I personally don't like fish too much so I just throw down some cc flax and broccoli but same principle.) Also when you say make a difference do you mean in gaining muscle or loosing fat? both?

    Whole foods are preferential 99% of the time, and this subject falls into that category.
  3. Elite Member
    jmh80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,110
    Rep Power
    9664
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    88.63%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Agree with OCC - stick with what you have. That's a darn good meal.
    •   
       

  4. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.51%

    Cool sounds good. I was gonna get Dymatize elite protein because it was time released...

    Ya forgot to add I also take down a tablespoon of flax oil with my last meal and to answer OCC I guess it's for both. Obviously to gain muscle with little fat as possible.
  5. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2671
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Just make a fish shake....

    On a serious note I doubt your meal vs a shake is going to make a huge difference, the only thing I ever notice is that I usually get some energy after eating a meal, but with a shake i really don't.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  6. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.51%

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Just make a fish shake....

    On a serious note I doubt your meal vs a shake is going to make a huge difference, the only thing I ever notice is that I usually get some energy after eating a meal, but with a shake i really don't.
    Well I think avoiding a shake before bed is better in the sense that I don't have to wake up in the middle of the night for a piss. That ****s so annoying, I can never ever get a straight 8 hr sleep without getting up to take a piss in the middle of the night. I think I will stop drinking water after 8 or something.
  7. Professional Member
    Rugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,060
    Rep Power
    4772
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    65.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I have 4 whole O3 eggs, tobasco, sea salt and a shake
  8. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.51%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rugger1 View Post
    I have 4 whole O3 eggs, tobasco, sea salt and a shake
    Tobasco?
  9. Banned
    Cub's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    930
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    64.45%

    The fish shake sounds good pmiller I've made a tuna, orange juice and olive oil shake before What about fish with whey sauce?
  10. New Member
    bryan4592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    109
    Rep Power
    138
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    49.65%

    What kind of fish do you have?
  11. Professional Member
    Rugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,060
    Rep Power
    4772
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    65.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexParty View Post
    Tobasco?
    Yeah. the kind where you put toe nails in it for a few days before using it.
  12. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,821
    Rep Power
    1317971

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexParty View Post
    Well I think avoiding a shake before bed is better in the sense that I don't have to wake up in the middle of the night for a piss. That ****s so annoying, I can never ever get a straight 8 hr sleep without getting up to take a piss in the middle of the night. I think I will stop drinking water after 8 or something.
    Fvk'n-A right.

    I grow better if I eat nothing before bed and sleep 6 hours straight than I do if I get all the liquid protein I need and have to get up to piss every hour throughout the night.

    Whole food is my preference as well.
  13. New Member
    krazy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    211
    Rep Power
    188
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    78.12%

    Dont forget the cottage cheese! Before bed, thats a champ.
  14. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.51%

    Quote Originally Posted by krazy View Post
    Dont forget the cottage cheese! Before bed, thats a champ.
    Yeah cottage cheese is also good..
  15. Senior Member
    shaddow's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  203 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,386
    Rep Power
    1326
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    75.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I eat 1/2lb. 93% lean ground beef before bed. How does that fair against other foods?
  16. Professional Member
    Chub's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,306
    Rep Power
    128474
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    40.43%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by shaddow View Post
    I eat 1/2lb. 93% lean ground beef before bed. How does that fair against other foods?
    During my bulk i'd have a shake right before bed. Starting eating more whole foods now before bed. hmm ground beef..just reminded me that i've got a steak in the fridge needing eating tonight!
  17. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2671
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Chub View Post
    During my bulk i'd have a shake right before bed. Starting eating more whole foods now before bed. hmm ground beef..just reminded me that i've got a steak in the fridge needing eating tonight!
    Damn, now I have to go to the store when i get out of class, get some ground beef and cook it up tonight, way to go guys. Honestly if I could afford it I would probably do something like the anabolic diet or ckd and eat ground beef all the time.
    When you guys eat at night, as opposed to drinking a shake, do you notice you have a hard time getting to sleep.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  18. Professional Member
    Chub's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,306
    Rep Power
    128474
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    40.43%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Damn, now I have to go to the store when i get out of class, get some ground beef and cook it up tonight, way to go guys. Honestly if I could afford it I would probably do something like the anabolic diet or ckd and eat ground beef all the time.
    When you guys eat at night, as opposed to drinking a shake, do you notice you have a hard time getting to sleep.
    I've been told that eating a lot of food before bed does effect a good nights sleep but i haven't really noticed it. i usually get quite tired anyway after a big meal.
  19. Registered User
    OCCFan023's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,789
    Rep Power
    2003
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    48.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Damn, now I have to go to the store when i get out of class, get some ground beef and cook it up tonight, way to go guys. Honestly if I could afford it I would probably do something like the anabolic diet or ckd and eat ground beef all the time.
    When you guys eat at night, as opposed to drinking a shake, do you notice you have a hard time getting to sleep.
    Ill eat 3 eggs and 2 tbsp of flax before bed usually 1-1.5 hours before bed (sometimes will have ground beef if I'm out of eggs) and have no problems falling asleep or staying asleep. Couldn't agree with you more on the CKD. Just started up and loving the ground beef and eggs, plus 800 gram carb Saturdays are going to be the ****.
  20. Senior Member
    shaddow's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  203 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,386
    Rep Power
    1326
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    75.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    ^ I prepared my last round of ground beef patties with a few eggs mixed in before throwing them on the grill. Good stuff.

    I don't have any trouble sleeping after eating, but it's not like I'm gorging either.
  21. New Member
    SMOKEPALADIN's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    40
    Posts
    313
    Rep Power
    264
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    50.98%

    I always go whole foods, they keep the metabolism stoked for longer, and for me it keeps me a little thinner, even on a bulk. I usually go Fish/Cottage cheese/Broccoli, if I am just not hungy that night I will pound out a few glasses of milk.
  22. Registered User
    Saurabh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    208
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    34.1%

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexParty View Post
    Cool sounds good. I was gonna get Dymatize elite protein because it was time released...

    Ya forgot to add I also take down a tablespoon of flax oil with my last meal and to answer OCC I guess it's for both. Obviously to gain muscle with little fat as possible.
    Stay away from Dymatize. I am trying so very hard to finish this 5 lb tub but can not since it causes gas like Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined!

    I personally take about 30 grms of cottage cheese mixed with a spoon of almond/macademia butter. Works quite decent plus gives me ease to use. By the by too much of broccoli also gives you gas so beware of it.
  23. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852764
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    Fvk'n-A right.

    I grow better if I eat nothing before bed and sleep 6 hours straight than I do if I get all the liquid protein I need and have to get up to piss every hour throughout the night.

    Whole food is my preference as well.

    amen. I tried it both ways, doing the shake and not, and i'll stick with not.
  24. New Member
    beebab's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    463
    Rep Power
    323
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    58.53%

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexParty View Post
    Yeah cottage cheese is also good..
    Eh, I'm not really a fan of cottage cheese pre-bed personally. I used to adhere to that regimen pretty strictly a while back and I found it just made me bloated. Since then I've preferred whey with a scoop of peanut butter to hold me over throughout the night.

    But more recently, I've become a little more lenient with my last "snack" of the day. Sometimes I only have a whey shake if I'm not that hungry. Other times my last meal is a whole meal if I have time. Or simply just a couple scoops of peanut butter.

    Regardless, I consider it more important to get a good night's rest. As you sleep your body releases very important hormones that are essential to your growth. Eating something, especially something very fatty before bed, could theoretically delay the release of these hormones.

    I've even noticed that if I don't eat anything before bed I tend to wake up feeling a lot more refreshed (not to mention I don't have to piss overnight). It's something interesting to think about.
  25. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.51%

    Quote Originally Posted by Saurabh View Post
    Stay away from Dymatize. I am trying so very hard to finish this 5 lb tub but can not since it causes gas like Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined!

    I personally take about 30 grms of cottage cheese mixed with a spoon of almond/macademia butter. Works quite decent plus gives me ease to use. By the by too much of broccoli also gives you gas so beware of it.
    Ya their wheys are probably bad, had their Rich vanilla and it tasted kinda weird. Other than that I have Xpand and ZMA from Dymatize and they're great, I really mean that, especially the creatine Xpand. The Zma hits me hard and makes me sleep through the night(ya I get up to take a piss but still).
  26. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.51%

    Quote Originally Posted by beebab View Post
    Eh, I'm not really a fan of cottage cheese pre-bed personally. I used to adhere to that regimen pretty strictly a while back and I found it just made me bloated. Since then I've preferred whey with a scoop of peanut butter to hold me over throughout the night.

    But more recently, I've become a little more lenient with my last "snack" of the day. Sometimes I only have a whey shake if I'm not that hungry. Other times my last meal is a whole meal if I have time. Or simply just a couple scoops of peanut butter.

    Regardless, I consider it more important to get a good night's rest. As you sleep your body releases very important hormones that are essential to your growth. Eating something, especially something very fatty before bed, could theoretically delay the release of these hormones.

    I've even noticed that if I don't eat anything before bed I tend to wake up feeling a lot more refreshed (not to mention I don't have to piss overnight). It's something interesting to think about.
    So something like Flax oil before bed can delay release of hormones through the night?

    I always have my cottage cheese before workout and after, great results with that. I use to have it at night too but it does give the bloat.
  27. Professional Member
    CryingEmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,080
    Rep Power
    1638
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    39.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexParty View Post
    Tobasco?

    I usually have a tobasco fish and egg yolk shake... with wasabi sauce, pre-bed of course.
  28. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.51%

    I never really incorporated beef in my diet because it has 27g of fat per serving and that's a lot don't you guys think? Curious what you have to say about that. I love beef but 27g of fat is a lot, especially if it's not EFA.
  29. Professional Member
    CryingEmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,080
    Rep Power
    1638
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    39.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexParty View Post
    I never really incorporated beef in my diet because it has 27g of fat per serving and that's a lot don't you guys think? Curious what you have to say about that. I love beef but 27g of fat is a lot, especially if it's not EFA.

    Depends on the cut of beef. You can get 96% lean ground beef for relatively cheap. 10 dollars for 2.5 lb's, so 4 dollars a LB.


    I eat alot of fat myself because I'm on the AD diet. I'm cutting now, but during maintenance I eat around 200 grams of fat a day.
  30. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.51%

    Quote Originally Posted by CryingEmo View Post
    Depends on the cut of beef. You can get 96% lean ground beef for relatively cheap. 10 dollars for 2.5 lb's, so 4 dollars a LB.


    I eat alot of fat myself because I'm on the AD diet. I'm cutting now, but during maintenance I eat around 200 grams of fat a day.
    200g really? I have 360g of Protein, 200g of Carbs and 100g of fat for a total of 3100 cals , sometimes the grams go higher but that's usually what I have.
  31. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852764
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    you can take the 80% ground beef, brown it in a pan, rinse it thru with boiling water with it in a seive, and end up with less fat than if you bought the 96% beef.
  32. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.51%

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    you can take the 80% ground beef, brown it in a pan, rinse it thru with boiling water with it in a seive, and end up with less fat than if you bought the 96% beef.

    Good tip but so much work. I learned through my experience all these years of training that if I had to work hard to make my food it becomes de-motivating and a pain. Quick and simple. I'd love to have the beef to eat between meals but again such a pain and nothing tastes better than when it's made of the spot. I tried making oatmeal for a week... holy sh!t that was terrible, that's the only thing I will take time to make.
  33. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852764
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexParty View Post
    Good tip but so much work. I learned through my experience all these years of training that if I had to work hard to make my food it becomes de-motivating and a pain. Quick and simple. I'd love to have the beef to eat between meals but again such a pain and nothing tastes better than when it's made of the spot. I tried making oatmeal for a week... holy sh!t that was terrible, that's the only thing I will take time to make.
    yeah, but if you buy the 5lb tube of it at walmart for $6, and do it all at once then throw it in tupperware and fridge it you end up with about 4 lbs of the beef after rinsing, which is a good 4 days worth
  34. Yari Ka Daw!
    AlexParty's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    520
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    46.51%

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    yeah, but if you buy the 5lb tube of it at walmart for $6, and do it all at once then throw it in tupperware and fridge it you end up with about 4 lbs of the beef after rinsing, which is a good 4 days worth
    Will take into consideration now... I'd like to throw in a different protein. Thanks
  35. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852764
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    whenever I find something thats a pain in the ass to do I try to do that with. even chicken breasts, i'll often buy 3-4 lbs and just boil the whole load of em at once, then fridge em.
  36. Senior Member
    shaddow's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  203 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,386
    Rep Power
    1326
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    75.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    ^ Any cooking is a pain in the ass for me to do, so I generally put aside a few hours Sunday/Thursday evening to do all my cooking at once, then bag up all my meals so I can grab 'em and go. Seriously, I do that with everything except for sandwiches.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Thought on weekly cheat meal (and I meal major cheat meal)
    By FitModel in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 02:19 PM
  2. whey or a blend for a breakfast pre workout meal
    By MakaveliThaDon in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-10-2011, 12:51 AM
  3. Cheap whey and fish oil!
    By z28man in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 10:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in