Last meal before bed Fish or Whey?

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
I usually have 2 fillet fish with a cup of broccoli 30-45 minutes before bed. I was wondering if I took a Protein shake/casein/Time released, would it make a difference between a shake and whole food, and if anyone else does this?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
A rich EFA fish fillet and broccoli is one of the best pre bed meals you could take in. Most people that take in casein shakes before bed for ease/taste (I personally don't like fish too much so I just throw down some cc flax and broccoli but same principle.) Also when you say make a difference do you mean in gaining muscle or loosing fat? both?

Whole foods are preferential 99% of the time, and this subject falls into that category.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Agree with OCC - stick with what you have. That's a darn good meal.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Cool sounds good. I was gonna get Dymatize elite protein because it was time released...

Ya forgot to add I also take down a tablespoon of flax oil with my last meal and to answer OCC I guess it's for both. Obviously to gain muscle with little fat as possible.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Just make a fish shake....

On a serious note I doubt your meal vs a shake is going to make a huge difference, the only thing I ever notice is that I usually get some energy after eating a meal, but with a shake i really don't.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Just make a fish shake....

On a serious note I doubt your meal vs a shake is going to make a huge difference, the only thing I ever notice is that I usually get some energy after eating a meal, but with a shake i really don't.
Well I think avoiding a shake before bed is better in the sense that I don't have to wake up in the middle of the night for a piss. That shits so annoying, I can never ever get a straight 8 hr sleep without getting up to take a piss in the middle of the night. I think I will stop drinking water after 8 or something.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I have 4 whole O3 eggs, tobasco, sea salt and a shake

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The fish shake sounds good pmiller :) I've made a tuna, orange juice and olive oil shake before :dump: What about fish with whey sauce?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I think avoiding a shake before bed is better in the sense that I don't have to wake up in the middle of the night for a piss. That shits so annoying, I can never ever get a straight 8 hr sleep without getting up to take a piss in the middle of the night. I think I will stop drinking water after 8 or something.
Fvk'n-A right.

I grow better if I eat nothing before bed and sleep 6 hours straight than I do if I get all the liquid protein I need and have to get up to piss every hour throughout the night.

Whole food is my preference as well.

krazy

Awards
Dont forget the cottage cheese! Before bed, thats a champ.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
I eat 1/2lb. 93% lean ground beef before bed. How does that fair against other foods?

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I eat 1/2lb. 93% lean ground beef before bed. How does that fair against other foods?
During my bulk i'd have a shake right before bed. Starting eating more whole foods now before bed. hmm ground beef..just reminded me that i've got a steak in the fridge needing eating tonight!

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
During my bulk i'd have a shake right before bed. Starting eating more whole foods now before bed. hmm ground beef..just reminded me that i've got a steak in the fridge needing eating tonight!
Damn, now I have to go to the store when i get out of class, get some ground beef and cook it up tonight, way to go guys. Honestly if I could afford it I would probably do something like the anabolic diet or ckd and eat ground beef all the time.
When you guys eat at night, as opposed to drinking a shake, do you notice you have a hard time getting to sleep.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Damn, now I have to go to the store when i get out of class, get some ground beef and cook it up tonight, way to go guys. Honestly if I could afford it I would probably do something like the anabolic diet or ckd and eat ground beef all the time.
When you guys eat at night, as opposed to drinking a shake, do you notice you have a hard time getting to sleep.
I've been told that eating a lot of food before bed does effect a good nights sleep but i haven't really noticed it. i usually get quite tired anyway after a big meal.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Ill eat 3 eggs and 2 tbsp of flax before bed usually 1-1.5 hours before bed (sometimes will have ground beef if I'm out of eggs) and have no problems falling asleep or staying asleep. Couldn't agree with you more on the CKD. Just started up and loving the ground beef and eggs, plus 800 gram carb Saturdays are going to be the ****.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
^ I prepared my last round of ground beef patties with a few eggs mixed in before throwing them on the grill. Good stuff.

I don't have any trouble sleeping after eating, but it's not like I'm gorging either.

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
I always go whole foods, they keep the metabolism stoked for longer, and for me it keeps me a little thinner, even on a bulk. I usually go Fish/Cottage cheese/Broccoli, if I am just not hungy that night I will pound out a few glasses of milk.

Saurabh

Awards
Cool sounds good. I was gonna get Dymatize elite protein because it was time released...

Ya forgot to add I also take down a tablespoon of flax oil with my last meal and to answer OCC I guess it's for both. Obviously to gain muscle with little fat as possible.
Stay away from Dymatize. I am trying so very hard to finish this 5 lb tub but can not since it causes gas like Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined!:run:

I personally take about 30 grms of cottage cheese mixed with a spoon of almond/macademia butter. Works quite decent plus gives me ease to use. By the by too much of broccoli also gives you gas so beware of it.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fvk'n-A right.

I grow better if I eat nothing before bed and sleep 6 hours straight than I do if I get all the liquid protein I need and have to get up to piss every hour throughout the night.

Whole food is my preference as well.

amen. I tried it both ways, doing the shake and not, and i'll stick with not.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
Yeah cottage cheese is also good..
Eh, I'm not really a fan of cottage cheese pre-bed personally. I used to adhere to that regimen pretty strictly a while back and I found it just made me bloated. Since then I've preferred whey with a scoop of peanut butter to hold me over throughout the night.

But more recently, I've become a little more lenient with my last "snack" of the day. Sometimes I only have a whey shake if I'm not that hungry. Other times my last meal is a whole meal if I have time. Or simply just a couple scoops of peanut butter.

Regardless, I consider it more important to get a good night's rest. As you sleep your body releases very important hormones that are essential to your growth. Eating something, especially something very fatty before bed, could theoretically delay the release of these hormones.

I've even noticed that if I don't eat anything before bed I tend to wake up feeling a lot more refreshed (not to mention I don't have to piss overnight). It's something interesting to think about.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Stay away from Dymatize. I am trying so very hard to finish this 5 lb tub but can not since it causes gas like Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined!:run:

I personally take about 30 grms of cottage cheese mixed with a spoon of almond/macademia butter. Works quite decent plus gives me ease to use. By the by too much of broccoli also gives you gas so beware of it.
Ya their wheys are probably bad, had their Rich vanilla and it tasted kinda weird. Other than that I have Xpand and ZMA from Dymatize and they're great, I really mean that, especially the creatine Xpand. The Zma hits me hard and makes me sleep through the night(ya I get up to take a piss but still).

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Eh, I'm not really a fan of cottage cheese pre-bed personally. I used to adhere to that regimen pretty strictly a while back and I found it just made me bloated. Since then I've preferred whey with a scoop of peanut butter to hold me over throughout the night.

But more recently, I've become a little more lenient with my last "snack" of the day. Sometimes I only have a whey shake if I'm not that hungry. Other times my last meal is a whole meal if I have time. Or simply just a couple scoops of peanut butter.

Regardless, I consider it more important to get a good night's rest. As you sleep your body releases very important hormones that are essential to your growth. Eating something, especially something very fatty before bed, could theoretically delay the release of these hormones.

I've even noticed that if I don't eat anything before bed I tend to wake up feeling a lot more refreshed (not to mention I don't have to piss overnight). It's something interesting to think about.
So something like Flax oil before bed can delay release of hormones through the night?

I always have my cottage cheese before workout and after, great results with that. I use to have it at night too but it does give the bloat.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
I never really incorporated beef in my diet because it has 27g of fat per serving and that's a lot don't you guys think? Curious what you have to say about that. I love beef but 27g of fat is a lot, especially if it's not EFA.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I never really incorporated beef in my diet because it has 27g of fat per serving and that's a lot don't you guys think? Curious what you have to say about that. I love beef but 27g of fat is a lot, especially if it's not EFA.

Depends on the cut of beef. You can get 96% lean ground beef for relatively cheap. 10 dollars for 2.5 lb's, so 4 dollars a LB.

I eat alot of fat myself because I'm on the AD diet. I'm cutting now, but during maintenance I eat around 200 grams of fat a day.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Depends on the cut of beef. You can get 96% lean ground beef for relatively cheap. 10 dollars for 2.5 lb's, so 4 dollars a LB.

I eat alot of fat myself because I'm on the AD diet. I'm cutting now, but during maintenance I eat around 200 grams of fat a day.
200g really? I have 360g of Protein, 200g of Carbs and 100g of fat for a total of 3100 cals , sometimes the grams go higher but that's usually what I have.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you can take the 80% ground beef, brown it in a pan, rinse it thru with boiling water with it in a seive, and end up with less fat than if you bought the 96% beef.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
you can take the 80% ground beef, brown it in a pan, rinse it thru with boiling water with it in a seive, and end up with less fat than if you bought the 96% beef.

Good tip but so much work. I learned through my experience all these years of training that if I had to work hard to make my food it becomes de-motivating and a pain. Quick and simple. I'd love to have the beef to eat between meals but again such a pain and nothing tastes better than when it's made of the spot. I tried making oatmeal for a week... holy sh!t that was terrible, that's the only thing I will take time to make.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good tip but so much work. I learned through my experience all these years of training that if I had to work hard to make my food it becomes de-motivating and a pain. Quick and simple. I'd love to have the beef to eat between meals but again such a pain and nothing tastes better than when it's made of the spot. I tried making oatmeal for a week... holy sh!t that was terrible, that's the only thing I will take time to make.
yeah, but if you buy the 5lb tube of it at walmart for $6, and do it all at once then throw it in tupperware and fridge it you end up with about 4 lbs of the beef after rinsing, which is a good 4 days worth :)

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
yeah, but if you buy the 5lb tube of it at walmart for $6, and do it all at once then throw it in tupperware and fridge it you end up with about 4 lbs of the beef after rinsing, which is a good 4 days worth :)
Will take into consideration now... I'd like to throw in a different protein. Thanks :thumbsup:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
whenever I find something thats a pain in the ass to do I try to do that with. even chicken breasts, i'll often buy 3-4 lbs and just boil the whole load of em at once, then fridge em.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
^ Any cooking is a pain in the ass for me to do, so I generally put aside a few hours Sunday/Thursday evening to do all my cooking at once, then bag up all my meals so I can grab 'em and go. Seriously, I do that with everything except for sandwiches. :D