alcohol and BB'ing - AnabolicMinds.com

alcohol and BB'ing

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.

alcohol and BB'ing

is there any great negative affects of having a drink once a week?

2. New Member

im pretty sure alcho lowers testosterone and stops protein synthesis not to mention it dehydrates u like a mutha ****a so i would limit ur drinks to once a month but on the otha hand u still gotta have a social life
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.

thanks for the heads up. i dont drink very often but when im out with friends who are, i kinda join in a bit. i dont overdo it but i like to feel a buzz. guess ill drink a half gallon of water when i wake up before i goto the gym.
    •   

4. Cub
    Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.

Arnold drank beer. Look how big he got

Everything in moderation.
  5. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post

oh yer fo sure i drink prob twice a month i just dont lift within tha 3 days wen i do and i drink as much water as possible before hand i just hate wen u wake up and u feel like a skinny worm hahahaha
  6. Cub
    Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.

True. I'll often have a beer or two the night before a heavy lifting session. There's some good stuff in beer.
  7. New Member

Stolen from a friend of mine on another site

1. Alcohol is empty calories.
    2. Alcohol dehydrates you
    3. Alcohol slows down your metabolism
    4. Alcohol inhibits protein synthesis
    5. Alcohol blocks the absorption of nutrients to the muscles
    6. Alcohol lowers testosterone
    7. Alcohol increases estrogen
    8. Alcohol consumption is catabolic
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.

From experience: I haven't been drinking for 3 months now and I feel awesome.

Heavy drinking will always set you back.
  9. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

i agree, bodybuilding is my antidrug. I think of what abuse of drugs and alcohol will do to my hard work that i put in to get my physique and it makes me think twice. I drink still but its not even every week compared to everyday before.... i dont even have the will to get ****ed up anymore. Drinking will set you back, just think of it as pissing away your gains literally.
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump View Post
    i agree, bodybuilding is my antidrug. I think of what abuse of drugs and alcohol will do to my hard work that i put in to get my physique and it makes me think twice. I drink still but its not even every week compared to everyday before.... i dont even have the will to get ****ed up anymore. Drinking will set you back, just think of it as pissing away your gains literally.
    Pretty much how i look at it these days.
  11. New Member

For me it's never been the drinking that kills me (I usually just cut carbs that day substantially and I don't see too much of a negative impact), it's the fact that I always get a cold a few days after a big binge and I can't train properly.

I haven't been drinking much at all lately (1-3 drinks once a week basically) and I haven't been sick in a few months despite everyone around me getting sick all the time. Might be a coincidence but I can't help but feel the lack of booze is helpin.
  12. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Even as a college student, I might drink once a month, and if I do it is only a couple beers. I just think of the negative effects and it kills any desire I might have had to drink. It's not worth sacrificing all my hard work.
  13. Elite Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

No drinking for me at all
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.

For the guys in college do you find it to be a big draw back socially or do you still find it easy to go out and "fit in" per say.

I'm heading off to school next year and have reservations about drinking (just like everyone I dislike drinking because of the negatives) but am also concerned of the social repercussions. Of course we can still be socialable and fun without alcohol but there is a difference when your friends are bombed and your sipping on water lol.
  15. New Member

I used to crave alcohol, but alcohol has not touched my lips since the beginning of this semester, I can still have a good time at a party, its actually pretty funny to watch drunk people make a fool of themselves
  16. Axis Labs Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Kevf View Post
    From experience: I haven't been drinking for 3 months now and I feel awesome.

Heavy drinking will always set you back.
    This is the direction I went, after looking at the all the negatives and the few positives I completely cut it out with the only exception a glass of red wine once in awhile.

But as someone else said, everything in moderation.
  17. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post
    For the guys in college do you find it to be a big draw back socially or do you still find it easy to go out and "fit in" per say.

I'm heading off to school next year and have reservations about drinking (just like everyone I dislike drinking because of the negatives) but am also concerned of the social repercussions. Of course we can still be socialable and fun without alcohol but there is a difference when your friends are bombed and your sipping on water lol.
    At first it might be a setback, but nothing serious. All the people I hangout with are more than use to it. They'll just joke with me about it like, "Hey Drew, we gettin drunk tonight." Plus if you hangout with people that have the same goals as you it helps. Plus if anyone asks just tell them your the DD for the night.
  18. Elite Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTowel View Post
    At first it might be a setback, but nothing serious. All the people I hangout with are more than use to it. They'll just joke with me about it like, "Hey Drew, we gettin drunk tonight." Plus if you hangout with people that have the same goals as you it helps. Plus if anyone asks just tell them your the DD for the night.
    agreed. I have many reasons why i do not drink and people do not seem to mind it too much, they thought it was weird at the beginning of the year but now that they know me its not a big deal. Most of my real close friends don't really drink though so i do not have too much trouble.
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  19. Advanced Member

I love the part in Pumping Iron where the guy says to Arnold, "you must drink skim milk," and Arnold says "Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer."
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTowel View Post
    I love the part in Pumping Iron where the guy says to Arnold, "you must drink skim milk," and Arnold says "Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer."
    Beer Pong Table

21. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lector606 View Post
    For me it's never been the drinking that kills me (I usually just cut carbs that day substantially and I don't see too much of a negative impact), it's the fact that I always get a cold a few days after a big binge and I can't train properly.

I haven't been drinking much at all lately (1-3 drinks once a week basically) and I haven't been sick in a few months despite everyone around me getting sick all the time. Might be a coincidence but I can't help but feel the lack of booze is helpin.
    Alcohol lowers your resistance to infection. I never drink anymore, but used to drink like a fish when I was younger. It never got me anywhere, so I don't miss it in the least. Too many negative effects IMO, not to mention the horrible feeling afterwards.
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

I think the effects are overblown if you keep it in moderation. I have a beer about every other day, usually with dinner or after dinner, and I've never had any problems putting on quality muscle. I think, done in moderation, it's a similar problem to blowin loads everyday. Beat off all day everyday and it will probably have an effect. Binge drink and it will probably have an effect. In moderation, I really don't think it has a legitimate effect. Beer is good for you -- look it up.
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post

I drank a decent amount in college... but often i would go out and not drink. when people asked me why i wasnt drinking.. id just tell them that i didnt need to.
    a lot of girls will actually find you attractive because of this
    you will get blasted with peer pressure.. but its up to you

i drink maybe 2-4 glasses of wine per week. is it the absolute ideal thing for anabolic gains.. probably not. but its something that i enjoy.. which is important for sanity
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.

Yea being an individual is bad ass. Good info guys.
  25. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Palo Alto Labs View Post

i drink maybe 2-4 glasses of wine per week. is it the absolute ideal thing for anabolic gains.. probably not. but its something that i enjoy.. which is important for sanity
    ha! i hear you on that, sometimes things my not be ideal for your bodybuilding lifestyle but one has to 'indulge' from time to time just for sanity's sake
  26. Professional Member

I'd don't mind getting hammered friday and saturday night, "grinding on every piece of ***** that walks through that door", and just let loose. It's worth all those supposed negatives. I have 5 nights the rest of the week to let my body build muscle.
  27. Cub
    Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger1 View Post
    I'd don't mind getting hammered friday and saturday night, "grinding on every piece of ***** that walks through that door", and just let loose. It's worth all those supposed negatives. I have 5 nights the rest of the week to let my body build muscle.
    Haha! Legend! I went to the states June/July last year for a few weeks and don't think I had one sober night. Good times!
  28. Board Supporter

I drink a couple times a month, smoke half a pack a day and get high off various things several times a week. I workout 5 or 6 days a week and i'm progressing just fine. I might be a bit bigger if I didn't, but whatever, i've got my whole life to lift so i'm gonna have some fun now.
  29. New Member

I drink beer!! I really do and I tend to drink about a six pack 3-5 times a week. I don't think that it is hurting my gains or progress at all. Here is my workout progress thread 6 week workout progress pics. I know that alcohol will dehydrate you if you let it, but i think that the gallon of milk I drink throughout the day helps me with this. I dont feel flat or small in the morning. Sometimes i actually feel fuller on drinking days cause the beer carbs are hanging out in my muscles. I really dont condone drinking i am just telling you my experiances. I am going to stay away from alcohol this week though and see what happens.
  30. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by remeizo View Post
    . I really dont condone drinking i am just telling you my experiances. I am going to stay away from alcohol this week though and see what happens.
    haha sometimes easier said than done! lol
  31. New Member

You'll actually be healthier and leaner than the non-drinking you from a parallel universe if you have one to two drinks a day. Any more than two and the deleterious effects of alcohol will tend to overwhelm the benefits. Any alcohol will do, but red wine is probably best -- Pinot noir, for instance has one of the higher resveratrol contents.
  32. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

yes red wine is the healthiest alcohol that i know of.
  33. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  0 lbs.

Blah blah blah. Alcohol is bad for you, yes. But, in college, do you want to be the sober lame ass riding the wall with his diet Red Bull and vodka but oh-so-well-defined pecs.... or do you want to have a few drinks, be loose, and have a great time as well as a social life?

I choose the latter.

Chances are you could improve your diet, training, or intensity and see much better improvements, anyways.
  34. Cub
    Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.

It's easier to bang drunk women if you're drunk too. Your conscience doesn't come into play then
  35. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.

It's easier to bang drunk women if you're drunk too. Your conscience doesn't come into play then
    Word! .....hello ladies.....
  36. Advanced Member

After a little practice, it's not to hard sober either.
  37. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.

I've just came off a weekend bender with a bunch of m8s on leave from the Army before they go to Iraw/Afgan in June. Spent most of today in bed aswell! My bank account doesn't look to healthy now either.

Any gains i've made lately have probably just been pissed against the wall

Saying that i'd say i'm healthy now than i ever was Back in the gym tomorrow! and no more drink till the festival season.
  38. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  203 lbs.

I haven't had a drink in about 2 months. Every once in a while I think I miss it, but I'll tell you one thing that I don't miss - the hangovers.

It's so weird being sober while everyone else is ****faced. Really makes you realize how much of a jackass you are to onlookers.

Moderation is key. I'll drink again some day, but I have no desire to get stupid plastered again like I have in the past.
  39. Cub
    Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.

We can write ****faced and it doesn't get censored!
  40. Professional Member

The key to not having hangovers is drinking hard liquor and mixing it with an antioxidant like cranberry juice. I've never had a hang over when I drank with cran juice.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Alcohol
    By zombiemuscle in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2010, 09:32 AM
  2. Nolvadex suspended in Alcohol or any form of alcohol in it?
    By schwellington in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2010, 01:15 PM
  3. alcohol
    By deadlift18 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-07-2009, 02:50 PM
  4. Alcohol
    By TheKashi in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 04:56 AM
  5. Alcohol and S.E.R.Ms