alcohol and BB'ing

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
is there any great negative affects of having a drink once a week?

elscotto

elscotto

Awards
im pretty sure alcho lowers testosterone and stops protein synthesis not to mention it dehydrates u like a mutha ****a so i would limit ur drinks to once a month but on the otha hand u still gotta have a social life:cheers:

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the heads up. i dont drink very often but when im out with friends who are, i kinda join in a bit. i dont overdo it but i like to feel a buzz. guess ill drink a half gallon of water when i wake up before i goto the gym.

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Arnold drank beer. Look how big he got :cheers:

Everything in moderation.

elscotto

elscotto

Awards

oh yer fo sure i drink prob twice a month i just dont lift within tha 3 days wen i do and i drink as much water as possible before hand i just hate wen u wake up and u feel like a skinny worm hahahaha

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
True. I'll often have a beer or two the night before a heavy lifting session. There's some good stuff in beer.

IainDaniel

Awards
Stolen from a friend of mine on another site

1. Alcohol is empty calories.
2. Alcohol dehydrates you
3. Alcohol slows down your metabolism
4. Alcohol inhibits protein synthesis
5. Alcohol blocks the absorption of nutrients to the muscles
6. Alcohol lowers testosterone
7. Alcohol increases estrogen
8. Alcohol consumption is catabolic

Kevf

Kevf

Awards
From experience: I haven't been drinking for 3 months now and I feel awesome.

Heavy drinking will always set you back.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i agree, bodybuilding is my antidrug. I think of what abuse of drugs and alcohol will do to my hard work that i put in to get my physique and it makes me think twice. I drink still but its not even every week compared to everyday before.... i dont even have the will to get ****ed up anymore. Drinking will set you back, just think of it as pissing away your gains literally.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
i agree, bodybuilding is my antidrug. I think of what abuse of drugs and alcohol will do to my hard work that i put in to get my physique and it makes me think twice. I drink still but its not even every week compared to everyday before.... i dont even have the will to get ****ed up anymore. Drinking will set you back, just think of it as pissing away your gains literally.
Pretty much how i look at it these days.:drunk:

lector606

lector606

Awards
For me it's never been the drinking that kills me (I usually just cut carbs that day substantially and I don't see too much of a negative impact), it's the fact that I always get a cold a few days after a big binge and I can't train properly.

I haven't been drinking much at all lately (1-3 drinks once a week basically) and I haven't been sick in a few months despite everyone around me getting sick all the time. Might be a coincidence but I can't help but feel the lack of booze is helpin.

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Awards
  • Established
Couldn't agree more. Even as a college student, I might drink once a month, and if I do it is only a couple beers. I just think of the negative effects and it kills any desire I might have had to drink. It's not worth sacrificing all my hard work.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No drinking for me at all

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
For the guys in college do you find it to be a big draw back socially or do you still find it easy to go out and "fit in" per say.

I'm heading off to school next year and have reservations about drinking (just like everyone I dislike drinking because of the negatives) but am also concerned of the social repercussions. Of course we can still be socialable and fun without alcohol but there is a difference when your friends are bombed and your sipping on water lol.

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
I used to crave alcohol, but alcohol has not touched my lips since the beginning of this semester, I can still have a good time at a party, its actually pretty funny to watch drunk people make a fool of themselves

Newlife4me

Newlife4me

Axis Labs Rep
Awards
From experience: I haven't been drinking for 3 months now and I feel awesome.

Heavy drinking will always set you back.
This is the direction I went, after looking at the all the negatives and the few positives I completely cut it out with the only exception a glass of red wine once in awhile.

But as someone else said, everything in moderation.

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Awards
  • Established
For the guys in college do you find it to be a big draw back socially or do you still find it easy to go out and "fit in" per say.

I'm heading off to school next year and have reservations about drinking (just like everyone I dislike drinking because of the negatives) but am also concerned of the social repercussions. Of course we can still be socialable and fun without alcohol but there is a difference when your friends are bombed and your sipping on water lol.
At first it might be a setback, but nothing serious. All the people I hangout with are more than use to it. They'll just joke with me about it like, "Hey Drew, we gettin drunk tonight." Plus if you hangout with people that have the same goals as you it helps. Plus if anyone asks just tell them your the DD for the night.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
At first it might be a setback, but nothing serious. All the people I hangout with are more than use to it. They'll just joke with me about it like, "Hey Drew, we gettin drunk tonight." Plus if you hangout with people that have the same goals as you it helps. Plus if anyone asks just tell them your the DD for the night.
agreed. I have many reasons why i do not drink and people do not seem to mind it too much, they thought it was weird at the beginning of the year but now that they know me its not a big deal. Most of my real close friends don't really drink though so i do not have too much trouble.

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Awards
  • Established

I love the part in Pumping Iron where the guy says to Arnold, "you must drink skim milk," and Arnold says "Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer."

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
For me it's never been the drinking that kills me (I usually just cut carbs that day substantially and I don't see too much of a negative impact), it's the fact that I always get a cold a few days after a big binge and I can't train properly.

I haven't been drinking much at all lately (1-3 drinks once a week basically) and I haven't been sick in a few months despite everyone around me getting sick all the time. Might be a coincidence but I can't help but feel the lack of booze is helpin.
Alcohol lowers your resistance to infection. I never drink anymore, but used to drink like a fish when I was younger. It never got me anywhere, so I don't miss it in the least. Too many negative effects IMO, not to mention the horrible feeling afterwards.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
I think the effects are overblown if you keep it in moderation. I have a beer about every other day, usually with dinner or after dinner, and I've never had any problems putting on quality muscle. I think, done in moderation, it's a similar problem to blowin loads everyday. Beat off all day everyday and it will probably have an effect. Binge drink and it will probably have an effect. In moderation, I really don't think it has a legitimate effect. Beer is good for you -- look it up.

Palo Alto Labs

Palo Alto Labs

Dave
Awards
  • Established

I drank a decent amount in college... but often i would go out and not drink. when people asked me why i wasnt drinking.. id just tell them that i didnt need to.
a lot of girls will actually find you attractive because of this
you will get blasted with peer pressure.. but its up to you

i drink maybe 2-4 glasses of wine per week. is it the absolute ideal thing for anabolic gains.. probably not. but its something that i enjoy.. which is important for sanity

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Yea being an individual is bad ass. Good info guys.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i drink maybe 2-4 glasses of wine per week. is it the absolute ideal thing for anabolic gains.. probably not. but its something that i enjoy.. which is important for sanity
ha! i hear you on that, sometimes things my not be ideal for your bodybuilding lifestyle but one has to 'indulge' from time to time just for sanity's sake

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I'd don't mind getting hammered friday and saturday night, "grinding on every piece of pussy that walks through that door", and just let loose. It's worth all those supposed negatives. I have 5 nights the rest of the week to let my body build muscle.

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'd don't mind getting hammered friday and saturday night, "grinding on every piece of pussy that walks through that door", and just let loose. It's worth all those supposed negatives. I have 5 nights the rest of the week to let my body build muscle.
Haha! Legend! I went to the states June/July last year for a few weeks and don't think I had one sober night. Good times! :drunk:

GreenTempo

Board Supporter
Awards
I drink a couple times a month, smoke half a pack a day and get high off various things several times a week. I workout 5 or 6 days a week and i'm progressing just fine. I might be a bit bigger if I didn't, but whatever, i've got my whole life to lift so i'm gonna have some fun now.

remeizo

Awards
I drink beer!! I really do and I tend to drink about a six pack 3-5 times a week. I don't think that it is hurting my gains or progress at all. Here is my workout progress thread http://anabolicminds.com/forum/pics/88735-6-week-workout.html I know that alcohol will dehydrate you if you let it, but i think that the gallon of milk I drink throughout the day helps me with this. I dont feel flat or small in the morning. Sometimes i actually feel fuller on drinking days cause the beer carbs are hanging out in my muscles. I really dont condone drinking i am just telling you my experiances. I am going to stay away from alcohol this week though and see what happens.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
. I really dont condone drinking i am just telling you my experiances. I am going to stay away from alcohol this week though and see what happens.
haha sometimes easier said than done! lol:drunk:

blackheart

blackheart

Awards
You'll actually be healthier and leaner than the non-drinking you from a parallel universe if you have one to two drinks a day. Any more than two and the deleterious effects of alcohol will tend to overwhelm the benefits. Any alcohol will do, but red wine is probably best -- Pinot noir, for instance has one of the higher resveratrol contents.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes red wine is the healthiest alcohol that i know of.

krazy

Awards
Blah blah blah. Alcohol is bad for you, yes. But, in college, do you want to be the sober lame ass riding the wall with his diet Red Bull and vodka but oh-so-well-defined pecs.... or do you want to have a few drinks, be loose, and have a great time as well as a social life?

I choose the latter.

Chances are you could improve your diet, training, or intensity and see much better improvements, anyways.

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's easier to bang drunk women if you're drunk too. Your conscience doesn't come into play then :)

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Awards
  • Established
It's easier to bang drunk women if you're drunk too. Your conscience doesn't come into play then :)
After a little practice, it's not to hard sober either.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I've just came off a weekend bender with a bunch of m8s on leave from the Army before they go to Iraw/Afgan in June. Spent most of today in bed aswell! My bank account doesn't look to healthy now either.

Any gains i've made lately have probably just been pissed against the wall :(

Saying that i'd say i'm healthy now than i ever was :) Back in the gym tomorrow! and no more drink till the festival season.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
I haven't had a drink in about 2 months. Every once in a while I think I miss it, but I'll tell you one thing that I don't miss - the hangovers.

It's so weird being sober while everyone else is shitfaced. Really makes you realize how much of a jackass you are to onlookers. ;)

Moderation is key. I'll drink again some day, but I have no desire to get stupid plastered again like I have in the past.

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
We can write shitfaced and it doesn't get censored! :woohoo:

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
The key to not having hangovers is drinking hard liquor and mixing it with an antioxidant like cranberry juice. I've never had a hang over when I drank with cran juice.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
The key to not having hangovers is drinking hard liquor and mixing it with an antioxidant like cranberry juice. I've never had a hang over when I drank with cran juice.
When you've got friends like mine... You can't always do mixed drinks. The shots come out of nowhere, man! :ntome:

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
When you've got friends like mine... You can't always do mixed drinks. The shots come out of nowhere, man! :ntome:
You can do shots, just buy a cran juice right after!

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
I love the part in Pumping Iron where the guy says to Arnold, "you must drink skim milk," and Arnold says "Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer."
From a random guy in a random bar in some random small town in northern Germany:

"Beer isn't alcohol - beer is FOOD!"

And, in fact, beer is arguably a way to preserve the nutritional value in wheat (fairly effectively), and laborers from ancient Egypt to the present day have derived nourishment from it.

However, it's not really part of a carefully-created and maintained anabolic environment, and the damaging effect of alcohol on the liver should be of special concern to anyone who contemplates any modification of their hormonal matrix, given the nature of many of the compounds that are used for such modifications.

Take-home = "not worth it!"

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
From a random guy in a random bar in some random small town in northern Germany:

"Beer isn't alcohol - beer is FOOD!"
haha reminds me of what a customer said to me last week when drinking a pint of real ale. "HMM its good! PROTEIN!" then he licked his lips, was kinda creepy.