Cholesterol???

jpower9

jpower9

Awards
I started tracking my diet pretty extensively using a website (Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, Food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate) recently. After a full weeks worth of tracking, I noticed that on average, I'm taking in in nearly 200% of my recommended daily value for cholesterol. Of course this is based on a 2000 calorie diet, and I eat 3100-3300 calories a day. Most of the cholesterol is coming from my protein shakes. I use GNC Whey Protein because it's really low in fat. Do I need to be concerned?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would have to say no. Considering that a large egg has 70% of your RDA for cholesterol, and there's people that eat 6+ eggs a day without having cholesterol problems. There have been studies that adressed the weak link between dietary cholesterol intake and blood cholesterol levels.

With that being said, I do know people that buy protein powders based on their cholesterol content, but I think they're splitting hairs and I'd rather go for taste and whey quality :)

IainDaniel

Awards
Dietary intake of Cholesterol is not a significant concern unless genetically predisposed.

Be more concerned if your Sat, trans fat are up and you are inactive.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
trans fats, hydrogenated oils, etc are what effects your serum cholesterol. digested cholesterol is broken down by your stomach

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Well the only possible concern is oxidized cholesterol that's really processed. For example a whole raw egg yolk is fine, but egg yolk powder I may question.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I started tracking my diet pretty extensively using a website (Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, Food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate) recently. After a full weeks worth of tracking, I noticed that on average, I'm taking in in nearly 200% of my recommended daily value for cholesterol. Of course this is based on a 2000 calorie diet, and I eat 3100-3300 calories a day. Most of the cholesterol is coming from my protein shakes. I use GNC Whey Protein because it's really low in fat. Do I need to be concerned?

Some days I eat 12-14 whole eggs, here is my cholesterol:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/89074-how-does-look.html#post1258633

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
If your consistently in the gym cholesterol from whole food sources shouldnt be an issue. That said, too much of a good thing is still too much. When you start to get lax of gym protocols then it can become dangerous.

Those people you see in wendys/burger king/McDonalds also probly take in 200% of their daily cholesterol....do they look alright?

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
If your consistently in the gym cholesterol from whole food sources shouldnt be an issue. That said, too much of a good thing is still too much. When you start to get lax of gym protocols then it can become dangerous.

Those people you see in wendys/burger king/McDonalds also probly take in 200% of their daily cholesterol....do they look alright?

Chlolestrol isn't the enemy, unhealthy lifestyle habbits and diet are.

jpower9

jpower9

Awards
Thanks for all the input guys. I will keep getting my yearly physical and working out hard! ROCK ON!

Sanserif

Sanserif

Awards
Cholesterol drugs are big money

Chlolestrol isn't the enemy, unhealthy lifestyle habbits and diet are.
This is my first post to the forums. You guys have been keeping me informed and entertained for a couple months, so I thought I'd pitch in something...sorry I can't post URLs yet!

The Businessweek cover story from Jan. 17, 2008 on the relative ineffectiveness of cholesterol lowering drugs, and some history on who-knew-what-when, is worth a look.

From reading elsewhere (Maggie Mahar's healthcare blog) it seems that whatever benefit the statin drugs have on heart disease is mainly anti-inflammatory, with lowered cholesterol almost as a side effect.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I eat about 10 O3 eggs a day and my cholesterol is fine.