Pre & PW Nutrition

S

SCM84

Awards
I'm 5'7, about 160 pounds at this time. I have found that I feel at my best when I am between 170-175 pounds, but I have been struggling to get back to that weight, and I have two questions that I was hoping somebody could help answer:

1.) No matter what I try, I have serious trouble working up an appetite when I wake up. I try and force some eggs down, but sometimes I just can't. So, I was thinking about just putting together a high-calorie shake for immediately after I wake up, and trying to get in a meal about an hour afterwards. Unfortunately, I am allergic to peanut butter, so I cannot add that to my shake. Maybe somebody could give me some advice on what I could add to this shake:
1 scoop whey protein
1 cup oats
2 cups milk

2.) As far as the PW shake and meal go, I was always under the impression that I should drink a protein/dextrose shake immediately after the workout, and eat a good meal 1-1.5 hours later. My questions is, what can I add to my PW shake to help put good, clean pounds on, keeping in mind that I am allergic to peanut butter.

Thanks in advance.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. You don't have to eat solid food as your first meal. You will find that many do a liquid breakfast. You can add some olive oil to your mix and be fine, but also add in some sort of fruit as well.

2. I personally do not think you should use high-GI carbs after training. A shake containing whey, oats, and a banana would be fine and then eat a whole food meal ~90 minutes later.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Like Rodja said a lot of people prefer a liquid breakfast for convenience as well as it readily adsorbed since it takes less for the body to digest it. You can still get plenty of healthy calories without pb (milk, whey, oats, olive oil, flax seed, theres a lot of options.)

Whole Wheat Bagel, Whey, Skim Milk, Banana (sometimes) is my typical post workout meal. Switch in Oats and water if your watching calories. Just focus on getting in complex carbs with your protein post workout.

S

SCM84

Awards
Chicken and Rice

Thank you both for the advice.

Now, I like to get in one meal per day that consists of Chicken, Brown Rice, and Broccoli. Would that be a better pre-workout meal (1-2 hours before), or more suitable for a pw meal (75 minutes after workout).

I do like the idea of the whole wheat bagel/banana/whey/skim milk post-workout, but would I be correct in assuming that you consume the whey immediately after workout, and save the rest for 1-1.5 hours later?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thank you both for the advice.

Now, I like to get in one meal per day that consists of Chicken, Brown Rice, and Broccoli. Would that be a better pre-workout meal (1-2 hours before), or more suitable for a pw meal (75 minutes after workout).

I do like the idea of the whole wheat bagel/banana/whey/skim milk post-workout, but would I be correct in assuming that you consume the whey immediately after workout, and save the rest for 1-1.5 hours later?
you can take the whey with the banana, milk and bagel. The Chicken, brown rice, and broccoli would be a killer pre or postworkout meal. Either way it would be great.

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
i had the same problem, i just didnt have an appetite when i woke up. so i ended up just drinking a big glass of milk and eating a banana on the way out and just eating a meal when i got hungry (typically an hour later or so).
recently i found that if i ate a small last meal at night that when i wake up its much easier to eat a good breakfast....just a thought.

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
I don't understand you people that don't feel like eating after a lengthy sleep! I looove breakfast! he he he

You could try what I have for breaky, for what it's worth...whey with 100g of rolled oats.

It's vital to have protein post workout, to ensure effective protein synthesis, as well as sufficent carbs to replace the glycogen you used up while movin' the plates! I highly perfer low carb for a PW meal, ie chicken & basmati rice with green vegies...but sometimes I'll juz have oats & whey when I need to!

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
I make sure to have a nutritious meal about an hour or so prior to my workout (preferably whole food sources, but sometimes whey and oats), followed up by a satisfying "snack" immediately PWO then another whole meal about an hour or so later. My PWO snack as of late consists of a cup or two of fat free yogurt and a scoop of whey. It's just enough to hold me over until my next full meal.