Question about Carbs

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
I think I am eating carbs in excess. What percentage of my calories should come from carbs?

I am trying to gain muscle without gaining fat, and a rarely do cardo. Although, I do a lot of cycling when it warms up.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
A pretty standard and a good place to start with is a 40/40/20 macro split (protein/carbs/fat.) Try this out and adjust after you see how your body responds.

Random bread picture btw lol. What kind is that?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
yea 40/40/20 is the starting point. From there you must determine how well your body tolerates carbs. Depending on how well your body does you can get away with more/less. Just make sure the majority of your carbs should be breakfast, pre/post workout.

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
A pretty standard and a good place to start with is a 40/40/20 macro split (protein/carbs/fat.) Try this out and adjust after you see how your body responds.

Random bread picture btw lol. What kind is that?

That is a massive pumpernickel. The best bread on the planet. :head:

Ive been eating around 45% carbs... I'll try downing my bread intake and up my protein. It can be difficult to get that much protein some days!

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Haha never had it.

45% isn't unreasonable but it does depend on your body type and goals. What are your current stats? You said you are trying to gain size so 45% isn't all that high but depends on a few things.

ono

ono

Awards
Shoot for 2/3 grams per lb of bodyweight..

See how you go with that.

Maybe do some cardio as wel.

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
Haha never had it.

45% isn't unreasonable but it does depend on your body type and goals. What are your current stats? You said you are trying to gain size so 45% isn't all that high but depends on a few things.
OK, today was a relatively typical day and I had 29% fat / 45% carbs / 26% protein. But, I had 175 grams of protein and I weigh 180lbs (6 foot, estimated BF = 12%). I could stand to cut a bit around my waist, but the main goal is to put on muscle.

My Fitday.com account makes it obvious that I eat too much butter. Any know of a good replacement for oiling the pan for eggs, etc? olive oil any good?

Any other advice welcome.

Pumpernickel Bread & Dip

2 cups sour cream
1 envelope vegetable soup mix
1 can water chestnuts, chopped
1 1/2 packages of frozen spinach (drained and chopped)
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup chopped red peppers
2 loaves pumpernickel bread

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Yea theres a couple things I would try to change to see how you respond. First would be to get your protein up to 1 gram/pound. Try to get the fat content down (avoid butter if you can, theres probably a lot of calories coming from it) and replace it with some healthy fat sources. Instead of butter pick up some PAM cooking spray (or the I can't believe its Not Butter F/F Spray if you want the taste of butter.) Also olive oil is very healthy but don't use it for cooking.

I've seen those bread platter things before, they look pretty cool. I'm not a big fan of dips and such so I'll just stick with my whole wheat bagels :D.