NAC vs. SAMe in preventing Tylenol-induced liver toxicity

1. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.03%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

NAC vs. SAMe in preventing Tylenol-induced liver toxicity

Comparison of S-Adenosyl-L-methionine and N-Acetylcysteine Protective Effects on Acetaminophen Hepatic Toxicity

Marcus V. Terneus, K. Kelley Kiningham, A. Betts Carpenter, Sarah B. Sullivan, and Monica A. Valentovic

Department of Pharmacology, Physiology and Toxicology (M.V.T., K.K.K., S.B.S., M.A.V.); Department of Pathology (A.B.C.); and Marshall University, Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine, Huntington, West Virginia

Nutraceuticals are widely used by the general public, but very little information is available regarding the effects of nutritional agents on drug toxicity. Excessive doses of acetaminophen (APAP, 4-hydroxyacetanilide) induce hepatic centrilobular necrosis. The naturally occurring substance S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAMe) has been reported to reduce the hepatic toxicity of APAP. The present study was designed to investigate the hepatoprotective effects of SAMe in comparison to the clinically used antidote N-acetylcysteine (NAC). Male C57BL/6 mice were injected intraperitoneally (i.p.) with an equimolar dose (1.25 mmol/kg) of either SAMe or NAC just before APAP, and the groups were denoted SAMe+APAP and NAC+APAP, respectively. Mice were immediately injected i.p. with 300 mg/kg APAP, and hepatotoxicity was evaluated after 4 h. SAMe was more hepatoprotective than NAC at a dose of 1.25 mmol/kg as liver weight was unchanged by APAP injection in the SAMe+APAP group, whereas liver weight was increased in the NAC+APAP group. SAMe was more hepatoprotective for APAP toxicity than NAC, because alanine aminotransferase levels were lower in the SAMe+APAP. Pretreatment with SAMe maintained total hepatic glutathione (GSH) levels higher than NAC pretreatment before APAP, although total hepatic GSH levels were lower in the SAMe+APAP and NAC+APAP groups than the vehicle control values. Oxidative stress was less extensive in the SAMe+APAP group compared with the APAP-treated mice as indicated by Western blots for protein carbonyls and 4-hydroxynonenal-adducted proteins. In summary, SAMe reduced APAP toxicity and was more potent than NAC in reducing APAP hepatotoxicity.

2. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.06%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

SAMe is some all around good stuff. Liver, joint, mood... can't beat that coming from one substance.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  231 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.1%

that's why i'm using SAMe during my cycle as a liver support w/milk thistle.
    •   

4. Certified Travis
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.39%

SAMe > milk thistle from everything I have seen. Mostly Dr. Houser's research/info...
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  231 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.1%

Quote Originally Posted by SupFatHead View Post
    SAMe > milk thistle from everything I have seen. Mostly Dr. Houser's research/info...
    i agree. i guess i get paranoid sometimes and want to double up.
  6. Certified Travis
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.39%

Quote Originally Posted by avgBdybldr View Post
    i agree. i guess i get paranoid sometimes and want to double up.
    No problem with that...Milk thistle has a variety of benefits.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Liver toxicity, where does it go?
    By protoculture in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 03:25 PM
  2. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 10:43 PM
  3. I heard Tylenol is rough on the liver?
    By BaldwinBoy in forum OTC Drug
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-02-2010, 10:18 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-31-2007, 12:41 AM
  5. Liver Toxicity
    By sifu in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 10:36 PM