Synthetic HDL, truly amazing

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I figured some of you science nuts out there would find this interesting.

Anti-Inflammatory and Cardioprotective Activities of Synthetic High-Density Lipoprotein Containing Apolipoprotein A-I Mimetic Peptides
Monica Gomaraschi, Laura Calabresi, Giuseppe Rossoni, Stefania Iametti, Guido Franceschini, John A. Stonik, and Alan T. Remaley

Center E. Grossi Paoletti, Department of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Milan, Milan, Italy (M.G., L.C., G.F.); Molecular Disease Section, Department of Pharmacology, Chemotherapy and Medical Toxicology, University of Milan, Milan, Italy (G.R.); Department of Molecular and Agroalimentary Sciences, University of Milan, Milan, Italy (S.I.); and Lipoprotein Metabolism Section, Vascular Medicine Branch, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland (J.A.S., A.T.R.)

Apolipoprotein A-I (apoA-I) mimetic peptides may represent an alternative to apoA-I for large-scale production of synthetic high-density lipoproteins (sHDL) as a therapeutic agent. In this study, the cardioprotective activity of sHDL made with either L37pA peptide or its D-stereoisomer, D37pA, was compared to sHDL made with apoA-I. The peptides were reconstituted with palmitoyl-oleoyl-phosphatidylcholine, which yielded sHDL particles comparable to apoA-I sHDL in diameter, molecular weight, and {alpha}-helical content. Pretreatment of endothelial cells with either peptide sHDL reduced tumor necrosis factor {alpha}-stimulated vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 expression to the same extent as apoA-I sHDL. In an isolated rat heart model of ischemia/reperfusion (I/R) injury, L37pA and D37pA sHDL significantly reduced postischemic cardiac contractile dysfunction compared to the saline control, as indicated by a 49.7 ± 6.4% (L37pA; P < 0.001) and 53.0 ± 9.1% (D37pA; P < 0.001) increase of left ventricular-developed pressure (LVDP) after reperfusion and by a 45.4 ± 3.4% (L37pA; P < 0.001) and 49.6 ± 2.6% (D37pA; P < 0.001) decrease of creatine kinase (CK) release. These effects were similar to the 51.3 ± 3.0% (P < 0.001) increase of LVDP and 51.3 ± 3.0 (P < 0.001) reduction of CK release induced by apoA-I sHDL. Consistent with their cardioprotective effects, all three types of sHDL particles mediated an approximate 20% (P < 0.001) reduction of cardiac tumor necrosis factor {alpha} (TNF{alpha}) content and stimulated an approximate 35% (P < 0.05) increase in postischemic release of prostacyclin. In summary, L37pA and D37pA peptides can form sHDL particles that retain a similar level of protective activity as apoA-I sHDL on the endothelium and the heart; thus, apoA-I mimetic peptides may be useful therapeutic agents for the prevention of cardiac I/R injury.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's pretty kickass, honestly.

Sure would help solve one of the issues with using androgens, eh?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Genetic bacon with infusion of synthetic HDL for all you health nuts lol.\\:head:
that WOULD actually be a viable use.

Imagine...healthy Movie theatre Popcorn butter.

/gag

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
can I just send you some synthetic bacon instead?
Can you get me a synthetic back-bacon sandwich and some synthetic Elsinore brews. That'd be sweet, eh?

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
Who wants to bet that Strategicmove already knows all about this, and can break it down so that even the most simpleminded person can understand it?

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Who wants to bet that Strategicmove already knows all about this, and can break it down so that even the most simpleminded person can understand it?
Hey I resemble that remark. :)

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
What is it you don't understand about it? I will try to clarify where possible.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
What is it you don't understand about it? I will try to clarify where possible.
Oh no, I was just pointing out the fact that our dear friend Strategicmove is a never ending knowledge machine - I swear the guy knows everything about everything. Your post is fine.

Axillist

Axillist

Awards
You guys had me until the synthetic bacon! :spam: