Ephedrine and Blood Glucose - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

Ephedrine and Blood Glucose

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
    Dear god... Do they really say that?

quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoglycemia

Research in healthy adults shows that mental efficiency declines slightly but measurably as blood glucose falls below 65 mg/dL (3.6 mM) in many people. Hormonal defense mechanisms (adrenaline and glucagon) are activated as it drops below a threshold level (about 55 mg/dL for most people), producing the typical symptoms of shakiness and dysphoria. On the other hand, obvious impairment does not often occur until the glucose falls below 40 mg/dL, and up to 10% of the population may occasionally have glucose levels below 65 in the morning without apparent effects. Brain effects of hypoglycemia, termed neuroglycopenia, determine whether a given low glucose is a "problem" for that person, and hence some people tend to use the term hypoglycemia only when a moderately low glucose is accompanied by symptoms.
    GOOD STUFF

2. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by skull View Post
    Not to worried about losing muscle as Im runnig TEST . According to the low carb diets [bodyopus/atkins] your blood sugar has to be around 40 ng/dl .If Im wrong about this let me know
    Skull I didn't believe you so I skimmed through Duchaine's BODYOPUS and sure enough you were right. On page 271 he says "Once blood glucose is about 50mg/dl ketones start being produced. They will continue to be manufactured as long as blood glucose stays below 50."

This figure is too low...from my experience (I test myself all of the time w/ a glucometer). Nitrox is the expert in this area...it is great to have access to his knowledge so definitely pay attention to what he says.
  3. Senior Member

Question

Deleted.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMountD View Post
    Honestly this would depend on amount of coffee, a person's insulin resistance, and the time period by which you measured this. Any stimulant such as caffeine is going to cause an increase in blood glucose. It increases norepinephrine, which is what gives you the fight or flight feeling and rapid heart rate. The sympathetic nervous system takes over and blood vessels in most organs such as the stomach and places like the penis restrict, while the blood vessels to the brain and skeletal muscles dilate. This is what causes that spike in blood pressure, the contraction of many of the blood vessels not important to fight or flight.
    Norepinephrine (noradrenaline) is not what causes the fight or flight response. It promotes a state of wakefulness. Epinephrine (adrenaline) is what causes the fight or flight response.
    Freedom means nothing here.
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Wait a minute, my bad... norepinephrine does play an underlying role too. I guess it depends on the mode of action. I relate norepinephine increases in reference to NRIs which reuptake the neurotransmitter NE in which it just causes a more wakeful state.
    Freedom means nothing here.
  6. Doctor Science

Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    Wait a minute, my bad... norepinephrine does play an underlying role too. I guess it depends on the mode of action. I relate norepinephine increases in reference to NRIs which reuptake the neurotransmitter NE in which it just causes a more wakeful state.
    Yeah .
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by datBtrue View Post
    For the last two days I've been using my glucose monitor to check my blood glucose after ingestion of coffee.

• Black coffee w/ no additives = zero rise in glucose
    • Black coffee w/ Stevia = a 2 point rise in glucose
    • Black coffee w/ Splenda = a 5 - 8 point rise in glucose.
    • Coffee w/ Splenda & generic Coffee Mate creamer = 15+ point rise in glucose
    • Coffee w/ Splenda & 2% Lactose free Milk = 17+ point rise in glucose

The take home message for you is that caffeine in a cup of coffee does not effect blood glucose BUT the additives sure as heck do!

How do you reduce the rise in blood glucose w/ these additives (besides the obvious)? ....add FIBER.

So ingesting 2 grams of Psyllium Husk powder just prior to drinking Coffee w/ Splenda & Coffee Mate creamer resulted in only a 4 point rise in blood glucose. WOW!

I have never done any monitoring of blood glucose after taking ephedrine or ephedrine+caffeine but I don't imagine that it would be that high. But if it were or if it is a concern of yours add FIBER and it should reduce the blood glucose spike.
    this is definately pretty interesting.

I was worried about getting and staying in ketosis because of the large amount of splenda I consume, and since I drink a lot of coffee. It never did become a problem for me though thankfully!
  8. Advanced Member

Im havin a hard time tryin to get into ketosis ,lowest I got on my meter was 74 [this meter is wacked ,gives diferent readings only seconds apart]this "goats rue" sup thats supposed to be what metformin is made from doesnt seem to work very well --lucky for me I checked and my real metformin just made it thru costoms!

Similar Forum Threads

1. What lowers your blood glucose?
    By benj851 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 10:57 AM
  2. Low Blood Glucose
    By CF10 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 09-19-2007, 07:56 PM
  3. high blood glucose
    By phatkid77 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 3